This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikejl46 View Post
    Here is a short video of me soldering wires to a piezo sensor. I'm no expert at soldering, but seems pretty easy to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI3tTF3hv2c
    That works for me..

Comment

I have a piezo exactly like the OP's, and the solder just won't stick to the edge. It just melts and runs of or forms a drop on the end of the solder wire.

So I tried soldering to the "bowling pin" and "the other ceramic part", and that actually works, so maybe one of those areas are actually connecting to the brass?
      It doesn't seem to give as much signal as I would like, though...

Any thoughts?

I have a pretty decent soldering station that will go up to 420C (790F), so that should be enough, no?

Comment

Originally posted by model76 View Post
        I have a piezo exactly like the OP's, and the solder just won't stick to the edge. It just melts and runs of or forms a drop on the end of the solder wire.

So I tried soldering to the "bowling pin" and "the other ceramic part", and that actually works, so maybe one of those areas are actually connecting to the brass?
        It doesn't seem to give as much signal as I would like, though...

Any thoughts?

I have a pretty decent soldering station that will go up to 420C (790F), so that should be enough, no?
        Should be enough heat, but once you apply the solder leave your iron on it for several more seconds. It will eventually get hot enough and start to flow. It is very important that you either apply rosin first or get rosin core solder or it will never work!
        sigpic JerEd Systems, LED drum triggers

Comment

Thanks jman, it might be the rosin thing, since I have no data on the solder... It was given to me in loose weight. It's great for soldering circuit boards, though.

I called the electronics store today, but the guy didn't seem to know anything, and told me to call back tomorrow and speak with someone else. Why does he work there?

Comment

OK, so I talked to the guy at the store and found a good method for soldering these babies.
            I am of course talking about the type of piezos shown in the pictures in the opening post.

I can safely say that the metal on these these is NOT the same as on the ones mikejl46 solders in his video. That method would never work on these piezos.

The problem is that the solder just doesn't stick to the metal like it normally would, and if you touch the soldering iron to the tin at any point, you can be absolutely sure that the tin will stick to the iron, and not the piezo. So part of the trick is to never ever touch the tin with the soldering iron directly, at all.

Of course, this only applies to the metal rim - the silver on top of the ceramic is easy peasy.

OK, so here is my guide:

-Scratch up the point that you want to solder with a sanding block or something similar. This may help the tin stick a little better.

-Solder the tip of the wire.

-Fasten the piezo in some kind of metal clap - it will get very hot!

-Press the hot iron on the bottom of the point where you want to solder, and hold the tin on the solder point.

-When it starts to melt, make a bead the size you want.

-Keep heating it for a little while, and then - very slowly - sink the tinned wire into the molten tin. If you go too fast at this stage, or don't heat the tin enough, you will just be rolling the tin bead around like quick silver. Very annoying.

-Remove the iron and blow. Remember that the piezo is probably quite hot at this point, so unless you have always wanted a piezo imprint on your fingers, or just love all kinds of memorable experiences, give it a little time before you handle it.

Violá and good luck/patience!

I will definitely be looking for different piezos next time, as these are just too much hassle!

Comment

good day everyone ....im have some dificulties with my stereo pad i made it by my own ..its 14 inc tom conversion to electronic ...i have the center tip and the ring edge piezo two of them i have a stereo jack also everything was set like at the beatnik roland scheme ....i have the td7 stereo module i have set all with the rim shot but i not hear the rim neather when i put out the stereo cable and put into my roland cy 8 cymbal i hear the center edge and choking well ...what is the problem and what solution did you give me ..im stucked in one place ...my pads are all stereo but without stereo function ...why is that happening is there anyone with this problem and how to solve this

Comment

Originally posted by gajagus View Post
                good day everyone ....im have some dificulties with my stereo pad i made it by my own ..its 14 inc tom conversion to electronic ...i have the center tip and the ring edge piezo two of them i have a stereo jack also everything was set like at the beatnik roland scheme ....i have the td7 stereo module i have set all with the rim shot but i not hear the rim neather when i put out the stereo cable and put into my roland cy 8 cymbal i hear the center edge and choking well ...what is the problem and what solution did you give me ..im stucked in one place ...my pads are all stereo but without stereo function ...why is that happening is there anyone with this problem and how to solve this
                I'll Quote Bruce for the answer to this one:
                http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showpost...38&postcount=4

Also I would say Use the Search Engine ..... But there is a better search engine..... If you use this search engine you can get some great results:
                http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01...85:ld78rt83m3w

For those that have never used that search engine, Bookmark it, Use it, Works Great! J
                I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50, 2Box modules,(Mimic coming), drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

omg now i figure out my roland td7 isnt stereo ....i make a diferent connection

in acoustic pad... dual works in this way ......

tip snare is tip/ sleeve .......

ring is connection between ring and tip without sleeve ....

i ve play with theese and im hope soo im right because the diferent sound is hear .

but i dont understand THE BEATNIK ROLAND WIRING CONNECTION what roland module has he meaned

any help will be gratefull or some other information about td 7 because i cannot find informations about this problem with this module

Comment

I know this is an old thread about soldering to piezo elements. But the information in it is bad and will most likely destroy your element. For soldering brass piezos it is simple and try and use as little heat as possible. The videos on youtube for this are adequate. For stainless steel piezos this is a different story.

I purchased these stainless steel piezos here: piezos at ebay auction, good deal.

If you read the instructions you need to pay attention to getting the chemical that will etch the stainless. The chemical used to etch stainless is PHOSPHORIC ACID which can be bought at a local hardware store. It is used to remove the oxide layer of the stainless. Without it you will overheat the element and most likely destroy it. I did not have this chemical on hand so I tried various things. Finally I realized I had PCB etchant solution on hand which is FERRIC CHLORIDE based. Once the chemical was applied for a short time in a very small amount I cleaned it off. The surface was very much a different color/finish after this. Then I soldered and it soldered as easily as it shows to solder the brass piezos on youtube videos.

Soldering to the piezo material (white circle) is easy and does not take the chemical to prepare the surface. The piezo surface is easy to solder on either type, but do NOT apply heat for long or it will melt away the piezo material.

Do NOT do as others have recommended and hold heat on the stainless portion for 3 seconds or more. This will not solder well, and it will damage the piezo element. The temperature used to make these is not that high and soldering iron heat can destroy them even if on the metal surface itself.

Anyway, I don't do much with music. I am wiring some piezos up to fix some dance pads for my kids.

Comment

Working...
                    X