Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Demo of Stealth Birdseye Maple Kit with Dual Zone Crash, no holes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
    Cool vid, J, I dig the pitch control idea.

I have dabbled in hole-less cymbals myself. I have tried tapes and glues, but they have a rather low success rate. Hot gluing the project boxes onto PVC has eventually come loose on just about all my cymbals, but maybe a heavy-duty kind of glue stick would last longer. A slow-drying epoxy seems like the best long-term solution for hole-less cymbal triggers. I find that nothing endures like metal fasteners, but I sure do love how cymbals look without the holes!

A word of caution: anybody who wants to convert their "good" cymbals should know that applying PVC with KRT has potential to damage the cymbal's finish over time. Using a decent low-end cymbal like a ZBT or a B8 as a permanent cymbal trigger may save a person money in the long run by preserving their good acoustic cymbals strictly for acoustic usage.
    I've had varied success with Killer Red and Hot glue also (I use both together ... 2 layers of Killer Red on the bottom and hot glue around the outside and covering the box ears), and is the reason I always stress the durability of installing with fasteners.... not as big of a deal if the kit isn't gigged, but I wouldn't even bother trying the no holes mount with a gigging kit.

The Sabian Alu Bell in the pic has had the jack box attached with Killer Red for 10 months now. The box is attached directly to the flat aluminum edge. My vinyl is further inside the bell. I definitely don't put the kind of time or hard play in on that bell though like the crashes. Having the no holes crash in my kit is good though, it gives me that test case I need.
    Attached Files
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

About the magnets... if you put one on top of the cymbal and another one on the bottom it could work depending on the magnet strength.

Ever tried epoxy glue ? Its so strong.. the olympic stadium in montreal is glued together with epoxy!

Comment

very impressive kit, as always.
        My e-kit

My a-kit

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
          I've had varied success with Killer Red and Hot glue also (I use both together ... 2 layers of Killer Red on the bottom and hot glue around the outside and covering the box ears), and is the reason I always stress the durability of installing with fasteners.... not as big of a deal if the kit isn't gigged, but I wouldn't even bother trying the no holes mount with a gigging kit.

The Sabian Alu Bell in the pic has had the jack box attached with Killer Red for 10 months now. The box is attached directly to the flat aluminum edge. My vinyl is further inside the bell. I definitely don't put the kind of time or hard play in on that bell though like the crashes. Having the no holes crash in my kit is good though, it gives me that test case I need.
          I have tried the KRT coupled with hot glue too, which does seem to hold well when combined. I must echo you, they still do not hold as dependably as fasteners do and I wouldn't trust them for gigging either... it would be kind of embarrassing if, during a hot little number, the project box comes loose and dangles from the cymbal. Then what? hot-glue it during the intermission? Oh no!

That is a good idea to have a no-hole study cymbal in the mix. Time will tell how it holds up. Crashes are like wild broncos trying to buck off those project box riders.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
            That is a great idea, but magnets don't stick to cymbals.
            The magnet idea is actually a pretty good one for hihats - you could glue a magnet inside the hats and have a removable trigger on the outside.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
              The magnet idea is actually a pretty good one for hihats - you could glue a magnet inside the hats and have a removable trigger on the outside.....
              I am not sure that I understand exactly what you mean, Herc. Can you elaborate?
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X