best way to build triggers for a td3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to build triggers for a td3

I'm totally new to the idea of DIY e-drums and very intrigued by it. My end goal is to have a kit with 2 crashes, 1 ride, hi hat, kick, snare, and 3 toms. I would want to trigger the TD-3 since my goal is to use the steven slate samples, and this module is the cheapest of the modules that are compatible with his samples (as of now he says you have to use a roland module to trigger his samples). If you guys could please let me know what the best way to put this project together would be I'd greatly appreciate it. There's so much info on here, but I wasn't sure if things work different depending on which module you want to trigger (i.e. piezosize to use and everything).

If the Steven Slate samples are anything like the VEX kits, which I'm assuming they are... then the TD-3 is not the module you are looking for. The TD-3 module does not have the capability of loading external samples like all the other Roland modules do.

Other than that, all triggers are essentially the same. A trigger that works with a TD-3 will also work with a TD-20, or any other third party trigger interface. There might be some variation on wiring polarity, but thats minor. Check through the DIY forum to get some ideas, and check out other peoples projects to get some inspiration. You've come to the right place. Welcome!
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

the slate samples are actually software based, and the td3 is compatible with his software.

Comment

Hey cool!

Let us know how it all turns out...
        Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

From what I understand the slate samples still need a host to run them in.

From looking at his site you will need either the drumagog, KONTAKT or BFD software (or some other software sampler package that you can load the wav files into).

You will also need to have a MIDI in on your computer so you can trigger the samples with the TD3 via a MIDI cable.

As far as piezo's, what Sabre said...

Comment

i actually have kontakt but slate is releasing a 3.0 version where its a standalone, and i have a midi in on my interface. Is there any build maybe that you guys could recommend that you think would be easiest for a beginner - im up for doing either an a to e conversion (friends selling a kit cheap), or just building pads another way.

Comment

Ah, I see that now... Looks like it might be a good competitor to Superior 2 and BFD2. Nice!

I just (sorta) finished my DIY kit, cutting cheap toms in half. Having never done it before - I just followed (and slightly deviated) from what everyone else on here does and they came out great.

Its pretty damn easy really.

Comment

I can help you with a very simple but effective 1 zone crash:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45737

My eDrums thread

My acoustic drums

Comment

Working...
                X