Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of mesh head = Positional Sensing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poco Askew
    replied
    Originally posted by daveybabes View Post
    Roland heads must be specifically engineered to send positional vibrational waves to get maximum results.
    More likely, Roland's algorithm for PS was just designed and calibrated using their own heads. Because alternate heads provide a slightly different waveform to the module the PS doesn't work as well. But whether the heads were designed around PS, or PS was designed around the heads, the end result is the same; Roland > no-name for PS.

Leave a comment:

• daveybabes
    replied
    Thanks

Yeah thats what i thought, Roland heads must be specifically engineered to send positional vibrational waves to get maximum results.

Any other cheaper head would be made from another slightly different mesh material and tension differently thus producing alternative results. Roland heads feel like a tougher material, i guess you just can't beat good quality.

Thanks for verifying that

Leave a comment:

• racer52
    replied
    Originally posted by daveybabes View Post
    I've noticed that if i fit a cheaper mesh head on my 12" snare i lose a lot of the Position Sensing features (still there but closer to the edge) if i fit a quality Head like a roland it's there in a flash 2" from the edge totally perfect.

Seems ok on a 10" though either way ...

I tried different tensions ... it just seems the Roland heads are bullet proof and tighten more easily and better than a cheaper head, producing the PS feature - anyone found this too?
    Axe_grinder explained something to me that I had misunderstood.

Roland calculates Positional Sensing from just the head trigger. They sample the waveform and detect differences in its oscilation due to striking the head close to the center vs far from the center (closer to the edge). Imagine a pond with a pebble tossed into it. The resulting waves that are produced are effectivily what the drum head does too. Anything that can change how that wave propagates will effect how well the PS circuit can detect it. A larger drum head has more distance to center and the material will have a greater effect on resonance and on performance of the PS circuit. That is my take on why different heads work differently.

Leave a comment:

• daveybabes
    started a topic Quality of mesh head = Positional Sensing?

Quality of mesh head = Positional Sensing?

I've noticed that if i fit a cheaper mesh head on my 12" snare i lose a lot of the Position Sensing features (still there but closer to the edge) if i fit a quality Head like a roland it's there in a flash 2" from the edge totally perfect.

Seems ok on a 10" though either way ...

I tried different tensions ... it just seems the Roland heads are bullet proof and tighten more easily and better than a cheaper head, producing the PS feature - anyone found this too?
Working...
X