roto trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roto trigger

I am ready to pull my hair out on this one! I have just purchased a 12" roto tom for triggering and I just cant get it to work very well.
    I'm using pintech stick on style triggers with some foam rubber on top. I then place these on the center of the spokes under the mesh head. I've been having a problem with re-triggering. poor sensativity and no dynamics. I am using a TD-8. My questions are as follows..
    1. Am I better off using a piezo trigger-( from a radio shack) on the spoke area?
    2. If I do use the stick on style triggers do they work better on top? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to attach them to a mesh head where they won't fall off?
    I really like the look of the rototoms as e-drums. I've mounted them using rims mounts--looks rad! 8" 10" and 12" ( the 8 and ten inch trggers a little better)
    any thoughts would be appreciated..

Could you post up some pics of what you are trying to do?
    sigpic JerEd Systems, LED drum triggers

Comment

Ill get back to yall over the weekend as I am out of town..

Comment

I'm not positive on this being that I've never tried to trigger roto's personally , but I have had roto toms in the past and the spokes on them do omit quite a bit of vibration . Here's a few things I can think of .

If your Pintech stick on triggers are the RS-5 model being that you're are using mesh heads I'm not sure how well the adhesive will hold on those types of heads being they are pretty much designed for Mylar heads . Pintech does make a version that is specifically designed for mesh head use which is called the RS55 . I would suggest placing the trigger on the head if at all possible ( as usually when these types of triggers are shell mounted it's on an acoustic drum shell ) . If using your existing triggers on mesh heads you may want to look for some double sided sticky tape that may help hold the trigger on the head better . Usually you can find various packages at department stores or hardware stores and they come in various sizes .

Mounting the trigger on the head or as close as you can to the drum head will really make a difference .

sam(otacon28)
        Last edited by otacon28; 01-12-09, 08:09 PM.
        Currently endorsed by Blastech (acoustic/electronic) drums ," Blaster " drum triggers , & " Ballistech II " drumheads. Also sponsored by Drum Star Wear , Xtreme Drummer , & Music Star Wear musician apparel .

Hear my music at :

http://o28music.bandcamp.com/
        http://www.reverbnation.com/o28

Comment

Originally posted by brucethedrummer View Post
          I'm using pintech stick on style triggers ...
          That is your problem. The stick-on triggers were designed to be stuck on the top of regular acoustic heads. They work very poorly under a mesh head -- especially with foam between the trigger and the head.

You need to use a bare piezo so that it will flex enough from the force transfered from the mesh head via the foam. Also, be sure to use a double sided foam tape to mount the piezo to the center of the spoke. The most commonly used doubled sided foam tape is the 3M mounting squares. The mounting squares are about 1/16" thick and they will cushion the piezo and give it some room to flex.

Here is a pic of the 3M mounting squares that I am talking about:

-SD-

Comment

BTW, since this thread is titled ROTO TRIGGER, I decided to use the search engine with that exact phrase to search the DIY forum. There are quite a few threads that you might find useful including the following one which was the 6th item in the list of search results:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40270

-SD-

Comment

Thanks for the help. I had these triggers laying around for a year or so and thought I could use them for this project. Using a piezo will give me more room for a more respectable cone shape as the piezos are flat.
              I'm kinda torn as I have some real nice Drum tech flat pads that I have been using for years. They trigger quite well, just a little tough on the wrists and dont look as cool as rototoms.
              I'll try this piezo thing-but they will have to trigger better than my Flat pads.
              Thanks for the help!!

Comment

Hi, I've been trying to get hold of some more RS5's for another project I'm on with at the moment, so if you have them spare now, let me know and I'll take 'em off your hands for an agreed amount!

Check out my electro-toms. Work a treat!
                The Stealth V-Monster - www.vdrums.co.uk
                In charge of fuelling flame wars, comedy relief, inaccurate time lines, and just general ****ing around.

Comment

computer man! unfortunately they are a gift from my guitar player, so I will find a use for them else where. Thanks for the offer though..
                  Very nice drum kit by the way...I like all the cymbals, I bet you'd get a drum solo just by droping a stick...tehe.
                  I see youve got some triggered rotos-how well do they trigger?

Comment

Working...
                  X