New E-Drum build log!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New E-Drum build log!

Ok well I don't have any actual progress yet other then accumulating parts. I scavenged E-bay recently and won 4 auctions. One was for a Roland MDS-10 drum rack it's like navy blue colored. The other 3 were for drums, one was a brand new Pearl Forum 12" Tom, the other is a set of 12" and 13" toms which are made by Peavey, and then I wont a 10" Taye tom. I got the 10" Pearl forum today and the rack was received on Wed. I seem to have misplaced my allen wrench set so I can't put the rack together yet but here are some pictures.

I'll try and keep this updated as often as I can. I think I'm going to do 5 toms, 2 10" 2 12" and 1 13" and then use the other half of the 13" as a kick drum bad at least for now... Or I may try and buy a 18-22" bass drum and use the 13" for a snare. I'll probably end up rewrapping all the drums when I finish them so they all look the same. I did just realize that the drum I received today has a black ring while the others all have silver. I forgot to post what I won the drums for haha. I bought the rack for like 230 bucks, the brand new Forum drum I won for 20+ 10 shipping. The Peavy set I won for 31 + like 15 for shipping I believe. The Taye drum was the most expensive at 44 shipped, I couldn't find any cheaper honestly. I need to win a couple bass pedals maybe even 3 and a cowbell still. And then I need to find some practice cymbals to convert or cheap regular cymbals. Either cymbal I go with is going to get a layer of neoprene on top so should be pretty silent regardless.

Ok well I did do a little bit of work haha.

I'm thinking if the others look this good I may just stain the shells. I do have a bottle of blue analine dye.

Comment

By the way looking over my pictures, excuse the mess This is kind of my little work space/computer room and has tons of my other projects laying all over haha. After my drums are all complete I'll probably be building some cheap little monitors to use with them. So I have quite a bit to do to get my little setup complete. Although I must say I'm not sure if they can ever be truly complete? I'm sure you tweak and make changes forever.

Comment

That blue dye sounds good. Would look very nice if the grain on all those shells looks as good as the pic you posted.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

Yeah I'll have to see how the others look under the skin when they arrive. The Peavey toms will be here Tuesday. The other one I have to pay for on wed when I get my money so maybe be here the next Monday. Then just have to strip them down and cut them all in half. I've been looking at mounts that I can put on the sides of the drums to mount to my rack. I found these but not sure if they will work well? Do you think I'd have issues with them splitting the wood after a lot of use?

http://www.drummaker.net/1-800-NEW-D...4119391&-find=

I would just mount them onto the sides of the shells. I don't really want to buy a bunch of DSS mounts and all that because they get expensive.

Comment

Just use some good size fender washers on the nut side and you will probably be OK.
            sigpic JerEd Systems, LED drum triggers

Comment

http://www.vintagedrum.com/item/Gibr...ket-DY-PA273TB

This is what I'm looking at using when I build mine, about the same price. They look good too.

Comment

Actually not close in price The one I linked has 3 of them per order lol. Those do look nice though.

Jman, that's a good idea on the washers. I think my rack has 10.5mm L-rods.

Comment

Well I just got the Peavey drums and they aren't the greatest thing in the world. I need to replace a few lugs on it which I didn't know and have messaged the seller about it. Also I peeled the skin off and it looks like they used contact cement or something on it so the silver glitter backing on the back of the skin has stuck all the way around the drum. I haven't stripped down the 13" yet but I imagine it's the same. So I could wrap them all in veneer and then stain them that way or I can just get a new skin for them all. Definitely don't think I can just stain the peavey's though. Maybe I'll look for a couple more 12" and just put the Peavey's aside for something else. Was thinking of using the 13" for 2 kick drums. They would be pretty large sitting on my rack as toms.

Comment

I made my kit from three hodge-podge toms. I took the wrapping of two of them, one of them left glue residue on it like yours did... you can sand that right off though. I really liked the lacquer cherry finish of the one tom with no wrapping, so I tried to make the other two look like it. They were made of different woods with mismatched grains going in different directions. Nobody in town could match the color of the cherry tom for me, not even Sherwin-Williams, so I mixed transparent red airbrush ink with a little walnut stain and came up with my own cherry colored stain. I even managed to make a faux grain. Then about 10 coats of poly later, I finally had a set of matching drums. Would I do it this way if I had to do it again? No way! It was a very long process that took a lot of work, but I am glad I did it once.

If there is a will there is a way and you can make them all match one way or another. Wrapping seems to be the easiest way to go, though it can be very costly. You could probably even pay a bodyshop to professionally paint them for not too much money.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well I can get a sheet of cherry or mahogany veneer for like 40-60 bucks or so and have enough to do all the drums. Then I would at least have the same grain and wood type as well as color. I've done veneer work before on my DIY speakers so not a huge deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4life85 View Post
                        Well I can get a sheet of cherry or mahogany veneer for like 40-60 bucks or so and have enough to do all the drums. Then I would at least have the same grain and wood type as well as color. I've done veneer work before on my DIY speakers so not a huge deal.
                        As long as your drums are never going to be used acoustically again, that would be an excellent route to take. Whatever you do use, I'll be looking forward to it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, they are being cut in half so be hard to use them acoustically Not sure how veneer would effect that anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4life85 View Post
                            Well, they are being cut in half so be hard to use them acoustically Not sure how veneer would effect that anyways.
                            With an acoustic drum, you don't want to alter the way the shell vibrates too much or it will kill the tone. Some shells will even lose tone quality just by applying too much lacquer finish to them. Adding something like veneer could affect the tone of your drum acoustically, so that is why I said that. I don't remember reading if you were going to cut them or not, so I just threw it out there.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well those plastic skins being glued on would seem to alter it more then a 10 mill paperback veneer. But I can understand how it could effect it. Regardless I don't plan on converting back so not an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X