Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum Cutting Jig

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drum Cutting Jig

    Gday everyone,just thought i would post some photos of how i cut my 12" toms in two as it worked extremely well & very accurate...i cut 2 x pieces of MDF board & screwed some end plates on to stop the drum shifting sideways,i put a heavy speaker box on top (to stop any lifting) and presto...just slowly turn the drum shell in the opposite direction to the saw blade...i also did a 3mm guide cut all the way round before cutting in to the shell full depth,hope this is helpful to some ppl!
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Now that's ingenuity! Great job.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Any reason you need to do all that? Why not just cover the outside in blue tape setup your fence to the right depth and then cut away? This is what I'm kind of planning on doing because I'm horrible with a jigsaw lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        An eye for precision and great ingenuity! I look forward to the rest of the build.
        alesisDRUMMER.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Daddy4life85 View Post
          Any reason you need to do all that? Why not just cover the outside in blue tape setup your fence to the right depth and then cut away? This is what I'm kind of planning on doing because I'm horrible with a jigsaw lol.
          Like Daddy4life is asking....That is what we did to cut my shells on the last tom conversion:

          (this pic is showing the drillings for the cross brace supports after the shell has been cut)
          http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?al...&pictureid=550

          1- changed out the blade in the table saw and used a blade made to cut plywood and paneling.
          2- taped up the shell on inside and outside with blue painting masking tape all along the cut line.
          3- set blade height so the blade cut in one pass.

          4- set drum on its side and held it to the saw fence (set to proper distance to cut shell in 1/2)
          5- slowly rotated drum through saw blade while keeping drum end against the fence.

          The most recent drum we cut is the one for Rifleman_WS check out the links to see the pics
          TD-20 (non expanded), acoustic look DIY a to e conversion - some cake pan/ some crossbar method. DIY cymbals, VH-12 :-)
          .
          Psalm 150
          had the best times with this band https://www.facebook.com/SaintHooliganMusic
          YouTube video postings: https://www.youtube.com/user/racer52online/videos
          Vdrums Photo Albums: http://www.vdrums.com/member/26923-racer52/media

          Comment


          • #6
            Wondering what method you use to cut your foam cones out? I think I'm going to experiment some and try and make something that doesn't hot spot. But chances are I'll have to go back to a cone eventually lol.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the posts. I've learned so much in the short time I've been here. Can I ask what one does with the original mount and air vent holes after a tom has been cut? Are they filled, or do you somehow incorporate them?

              Thanks!
              "to get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder" - keith moon

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kauaiplayer View Post
                ..... Can I ask what one does with the original mount and air vent holes after a tom has been cut? Are they filled, or do you somehow incorporate them? ....
                I just leave mine.
                if you can manage to make the holes come up on the edge - then you might be able to cover them with the trim that some of the guys use.

                On my first kit I used that electrical rubber tape that bonds/fuses to itself as the trim band around the bottom. see my albums for pics.

                Small bolt holes can be filled with a small nut and bolt so it looks like it has a purpose.

                I try to position the holes in places that, when the drum is mounted, it won't be so obvious.
                TD-20 (non expanded), acoustic look DIY a to e conversion - some cake pan/ some crossbar method. DIY cymbals, VH-12 :-)
                .
                Psalm 150
                had the best times with this band https://www.facebook.com/SaintHooliganMusic
                YouTube video postings: https://www.youtube.com/user/racer52online/videos
                Vdrums Photo Albums: http://www.vdrums.com/member/26923-racer52/media

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks fro the information Racer. Beautiful kits, I hope mine turns out that nice!
                  "to get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder" - keith moon

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Drumcutting Jig

                    Originally posted by jammat View Post
                    Gday everyone,just thought i would post some photos of how i cut my 12" toms in two as it worked extremely well & very accurate...i cut 2 x pieces of MDF board & screwed some end plates on to stop the drum shifting sideways,i put a heavy speaker box on top (to stop any lifting) and presto...just slowly turn the drum shell in the opposite direction to the saw blade...i also did a 3mm guide cut all the way round before cutting in to the shell full depth,hope this is helpful to some ppl!
                    wow great job! ill use this method next time!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kauaiplayer View Post
                      Thanks for the posts. I've learned so much in the short time I've been here. Can I ask what one does with the original mount and air vent holes after a tom has been cut? Are they filled, or do you somehow incorporate them?
                      I found toms with suspension mounts - the kind that attach to the tension rods, hoops and lugs. So no mount holes to deal with. The vent holes are perfect for the TRS jacks, so I drilled matching holes in my off-cuts. Nice and clean!

                      Excellent idea for the cutting jig! I had good success just by holding the drums against the fence and using a thin-kerf panel cutting blade. Jigs that hold wood fairly snug always concern me as they tend to create binding and kick-back. As long as there's a little clearance, I'd be OK to try it.
                      Last edited by Poco Askew; 02-04-09, 08:00 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X