touch and glow cymbal choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• touch and glow cymbal choke

hello, i'm steve, i've been lurking here for a while... just moved into a town house and decided it's time to build an electronic kit...

i don't know if anyone has ever tried this, but i had the idea to try and rig a touch and glow lamp switch to choke an electronic cymbal. my grandmother used to have one on a lamp, and although i never tried hitting her lamp with a drumstick to turn it on, i believe it only ever responded to the touch of skin. so if it was wired onto an a to e cymbal, there must be some way to route it to the choke function. here is the switch i'm talking about: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...102&lpage=none

i am a total noob at this, just thought i would throw it out there and see if you guys think it's possible. once a get my trigger i/o in the mail i am going to take one of these apart and see if i can figure something out.

There's an easier way to do this. I have been thinking of doing the same thing. I just bought my drums and waiting on the paycheck to get my set of cymbals and I'll be trying something like this:

Edit: rather than a buzzer, you could rig up a small relay to close the contacts when you touch the cymbal. That would close the circuit, thereby performing the choke function of your brain.

I'm going to throw this circuit together and give it a shot soon and will post here when I get it done.
    Dan

Comment

Uh, yeah! That's what I was gonna suggest...
      Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Steve...
        Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

I've seen a thread around here about this idea before. I don't think that any members have tried it... if they have, they either didn't get it working or didn't bother posting their findings.

Really though, I don't see why that little device from Lowe's couldn't be modified into a cymbal choke somehow.
          sigpic

Comment

John F has a touch-based system but it uses two parallel wires instead of the actual cymbal surface.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40239

There's also this discussion but it really has no conclusion. I did PM one of the previously active participants and they didn't offer any further details. So I'm assuming it never worked.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29721

Note in general this method would ONLY provide choke. You couldn't hit the cymbal with a stick to generate an edge hit using this as far as I can see as the stick has no ability to activate the touch-based switch. So it has a huge disadvantage in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Gastric View Post
              Note in general this method would ONLY provide choke. You couldn't hit the cymbal with a stick to generate an edge hit using this as far as I can see as the stick has no ability to activate the touch-based switch. So it has a huge disadvantage in that regard.
              I agree, but it is still a neat idea. If someone wants to try it, I say "go for it". I prefer a simple solution next to an overly complicated one anyday however. It's really cool that people are making new ways to choke a cymbal but, it is not that hard to do. Please see Get a Choke Hold (eCymbal Choke Switch)
              Why over complicate something? Most modules already have support for switches built in. When one looks into building a touch circuit, now not only do you still need the trigger cable but now you need a power supply of some kind. It just seem too complex of a solution to a simple problem. Just my two cents.
              alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
                I agree, but it is still a neat idea. If someone wants to try it, I say "go for it". I prefer a simple solution next to an overly complicated one anyday however. It's really cool that people are making new ways to choke a cymbal but, it is not that hard to do. Please see Get a Choke Hold (eCymbal Choke Switch)
                Why over complicate something? Most modules already have support for switches built in. When one looks into building a touch circuit, now not only do you still need the trigger cable but now you need a power supply of some kind. It just seem too complex of a solution to a simple problem. Just my two cents.
                hey, thanks a bunch, all the choke switches i looked at before were pretty bulky, yours looks perfect for what i want to do. the reason i was interested in the touch and glow idea was because it would have 0 bulk where you grab it, and i wondered if anyone had tried it yet. you are right though, it is over complicated, and i don't want to have to plug in a power supply.

Comment

Working...
                X