Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a Pintch snare to dual zone ...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a Pintch snare to dual zone ...?

Hi all,

I have a Pintech kit (10" cast metal rims with mesh heads). I am pretty certain I can convert one of these to a dual zone snare but was wondering if anybody has done this conversion to this particular drum?

My plan is to buy a Radio Shack buzzer and attach it to the inside of the rim with double sided carpet tape. Any advise on doing this?

I do have the wiring plan for the stereo plug.

Thanks,

Jeff

Originally posted by jeffscott View Post
    Hi all,

I have a Pintech kit (10" cast metal rims with mesh heads). I am pretty certain I can convert one of these to a dual zone snare but was wondering if anybody has done this conversion to this particular drum?

My plan is to buy a Radio Shack buzzer and attach it to the inside of the rim with double sided carpet tape. Any advise on doing this?

I do have the wiring plan for the stereo plug.

Thanks,

Jeff
    What module are you using. This can make a big difference in how you need to wire those piezoes. Also, you may what to use some alligator clips to test with before you solder everything up.
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Oh, I have a Roland TD-6 module.

Comment

Hi.

I have been trying different wiring combinations but cannot get both triggers to work with the stereo jack. The cable is also stereo and when I hook up a PD-8 it has no trouble recognizing the head and the rim.

I popped open a Radio Shack buzzer and was quite surprised to find a lot more inside than expected. Most pics I have seen have just been a buzzer element with two wires. This buzzer had three wires connected to a very small pc board with a few resistors and such on it. From the pc board there are two leads. Anyone ever seen this before?

Jeff

Comment

I'd lose the three wire piezo. I haven't tried one, but I bet the PC board is causing the problem. I bought one of the two wire versions from the Shack just for testing purposes and it worked OK as a trigger.

Comment

Hi jeffscott. Pintech has a dual peizo setup that has the original piezo and a second peizo that has a piece of brass that hangs over the edge of the drum to fire off the rim sound. I bought a couple of these from a fellow member and used them on my own conversions. If I were you I'd stay away from the RS stuff and call pintech to see if you can buy the parts from them. Their piezo's are the best I've seen as the wires are heavy and well soldered and the peizo's are the best I've seen on the market. Save a buck here and spend 5 bucks there.
            Peizos are one of the most important part of a coversion so play it smart and buy the good stuff up front, you won't regret it.
            Roadking

Comment

Hi.

I have been trying different wiring combinations but cannot get both triggers to work with the stereo jack. The cable is also stereo and when I hook up a PD-8 it has no trouble recognizing the head and the rim.

I popped open a Radio Shack buzzer and was quite surprised to find a lot more inside than expected. Most pics I have seen have just been a buzzer element with two wires. This buzzer had three wires connected to a very small pc board with a few resistors and such on it. From the pc board there are two leads. Anyone ever seen this before?

Jeff
              First off, you want a two wire piezo. If you are going to Radio Shack, then you want this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062397

Second a PD-8 is a piezo/switch trigger, not a piezo/piezo which is what you are trying to build. I don't own a TD-6 so, I don't know if it is capable of using a piezo/piezo trigger, but if it is you will need to change the type of pad in the settings of your TD-6 for the input you are using. Refer to the manual. If you do not have a manual here is a link to a manual: http://www.roland.com/products/en/_s...sp=0&iCncd=380

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
              alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Hey, thanks all for the tips. I have a couple of different piezos now so I will keep tinkering. Perhaps the trigger setup in the module needs tinkering as well.

Pintech has the piezo clearly placed in the center of the mesh head. Has anyone placed a piezo, not on the rim, but also on the head close to the rim. I'm just wondering if this might give more dynamics to the snare. Right now a roll sounds kind of robotic, with very little dynamic.

Jeff

Comment

I had been buying the more expensive buzzer as I thought it was bigger and better. I see that the recommended is the cheaper one.

Also, I am in Canada and our Radio Shack was bought out by Circuit City about 5 years ago, but I'm pretty sure the electronic parts are the same.

If not I'll ask Dad in Fla to bring home a few in the spring .. : )

Jeff

Comment

Hey, thanks all for the tips. I have a couple of different piezos now so I will keep tinkering. Perhaps the trigger setup in the module needs tinkering as well.
                    Yes it does. That is why I stated this in my last post:
                    Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
                    Second a PD-8 is a piezo/switch trigger, not a piezo/piezo which is what you are trying to build. I don't own a TD-6 so, I don't know if it is capable of using a piezo/piezo trigger, but if it is you will need to change the type of pad in the settings of your TD-6 for the input you are using. Refer to the manual. If you do not have a manual here is a link to a manual: http://www.roland.com/products/en/_s...sp=0&iCncd=380
                    Pintech has the piezo clearly placed in the center of the mesh head. Has anyone placed a piezo, not on the rim, but also on the head close to the rim. I'm just wondering if this might give more dynamics to the snare. Right now a roll sounds kind of robotic, with very little dynamic.

Jeff
                    The dynamics are a function of the module you are using. You can try adjusting the piezo placement but, it most likely won't change much.
                    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Working...
                    X