Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Megadrum Vs Edrum and then the software side of things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megadrum Vs Edrum and then the software side of things?

Ok so I've been researching like crazy the past few days. I've been wanting to do a DIY electronic drum kit for a while now. The other day I was pricing up options to actually build the triggers with and then wound up on craigslist. In the end I decided I would prefer the results as well as the price of just buying a commercial kit used and hacking it up. So I found a couple that I like and will probably pick up one of them on friday/saturday. Now I was looking at Midi controller options. The midi format really appealed to me because I can do ALLL sorts of things with it. Now I see 2 DIY midi controllers for drum kits. Megadrum and Edrum. I was originally looking at Edrum before I saw Megadrum. I'm just wondering is there anything that makes one of these better then the other? I would like it to be able to support a 3 zone cymbal and things like rimshots and what not. I think the Edrum is able to do this but I haven't looked into Megadrum alot.

Next up is software. I've seen quite a few things that look very interesting. Right now Superior Drummer 2.0 really has my mouth watering. Some of the things that are included with this software just seem really amazing and very nice and the kits in it seem to have an extremely realistic sound. Is there any reason Superior Drummer should not be considered? I see a lot of people using Addicted or something like that.

Ok I've read some more and come to the conclusion that Megadrummer is definitely a good bit better then Edrum. It seems that Edrum is a bit of an old technology design. Also Megadrummer would let me control the unit from the computer (rather then just the little LCD) as well as output the midi information from the PC to the trigger system. So I'm definitely thinking that Megadrummer is the way to go.

Comment

I've you're going to build a MegaDrum I strongly suggest buying at least the board and programmed ICs from Synthex. It will save you hours and hours of headaches buying a known-good board. You should be able to source the rest from Mouser or some similar electronics shop, though Synthex also sells the rest, too.

Comment

I actually plan on buying the whole kit from Synthex with all the components as well. I might not get his LCD as I want something that's high contrast like red or blue on black so it's easier to read when I need to. I may try and etch the PCB's for the inputs for the triggers though as they have those posted on the website

Comment

Well I just ordered the Megadrum V2.8 full kit minus the LCD as I'm going to get my own high contrast LCD. I'll post some pics and what not when it all arrives.

Comment

I've just ordered a full kit from Synthex as well, keen to see how you go with yours. This will be the start of my DIY kit build, so I'll post pics once everything gets rolling.

Comment

Yeah this will be my first DIY drum kit as well. I'm working on getting a full set of Pearl Export series drums in black for 300 bucks (I hope anyways) just waiting for the guy to message me back. I will cut the toms in half to have something like 6 toms a snare and then I have to work on the cymbals. I'm still not sure how I want to go with the cymbals because I don't want them to be real noisy. The set I'm trying to buy only comes with the Hi-hat.

Comment

I'm going to use ABS plastic practice cymbals, they're pretty cheap on Ebay and some come in a full cymbal kit. My plan when I come to do a proper mesh kit will be 12" toms all round, split in half. If I can get 4 cheapies with the same hardware, I'll have 2 kicks (for looks, and it's usually cheaper to buy two single pedals of a given model than one double kick), snare, 5 toms.

My only issue is whether I'll rack mount a hi-hat and have a controller pedal, or use a proper stand and mod it like some of the guys here have done.

Comment

I'm leaning towards a stand hi-hat with some sort of variation of optical controller.

Comment

Guys, I am still waayyy in the research (translated... waiting until I have money) stage, but I was thinking that, in my case, I would ebay a drum module and a cheap PA until later on down the road. Unless I am wrong, the midi/computer/$oftware option just seems too expensive for the expirmental first DIY for me.

Thoughts anyone?

Comment

I don't know I guess it depends on what's to expensive. There are some cheaper software solutions out there. Even Superior Drummer isn't too horribly expensive though. The DIY midi trigger system is like 130 bucks or so for the kits. You can get the Alesis (sp?) for around 150 I believe but not near as many inputs. The Alesis can do the midi stuff on the PC as well.

Comment

Thanks. I am just in major debate on it, and will be until I buy a module, or trigger to midi.. Then, I'll still second guess myself afterward, lol.

Comment

I chose the Megadrum build because I feel it's so much more versatile then a drum brain. Most drum brains only have a few inputs. The Megadrum has 32, also because it's midi based and I load it up on the PC the amount of sound fonts and what not I can use with it are endless. So I just like the idea that it's pretty much limitless in what can be done with it. Now if your someone that likes simplicity and just need a basic drum kit them I'm sure a drum brain would work just fine.

Comment

Daddy:

Please keep us updated on this project. A photo of your MegaDrum box would be nice as well. I'll admit, the whole MegaDrum setup, including the software, looks really good. Too bad I can't solder worth a crap.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                            TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I'm still trying to understand the value/benefits of the Megadrum. I love DIY and maybe that's it's primary attraction (for me) since I don't care about serious recording or spending a lot of time tweaking MIDI.
                              From what very little I know, you'll have about $200 in the Megadrum, another $400 in an M-Audio interface, and from $200 on up for software. Of course you need to have a computer available all the time, too (I do). This vs. the $1250 I paid for a new TD-20 with about the same input capability. It seems like a Megadrum set up could easily end up just as expensive and much more cumbersome to actually use. Is the allure a matter of more recording flexibility and adding expansion packs?
                              This is a great forum! Thanks for the education!

Comment

Working...
                              X