Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My A to E-kit conversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My A to E-kit conversion

    Nothing ground-breaking here, but I thought I'd post my kit conversion. I couldn't find a good deal on used shells in my rural area, so I bought a new cheap shell pack for $200. I sliced the shells in half to get two 10" up, two 12" down, and a 14" kick:



    Riser for the kick drum on a brushed aluminum base plate. I wanted some support for it so I built the curve braces on the back to take the beaters' impact:



    Completed bridge:



    Completed tom showing the pieces for my adjustable trigger made from 1/4" plywood and a hole saw:



    Completed kick:



    Its now all mounted and working great on a Gibraltar 'V' rack:



    [EDIT]

    I guess I should have mentioned, I'm running it into a TD-20. Now on to cymbals!!
    Last edited by Poco Askew; 12-31-08, 01:48 PM.

  • #2
    Great work!
    Couple of questions, if you do not mind.

    Could you tell me where you found that really long looking TRS jack?
    Can these be mounted with out counter sinking the mounting hole from the inside?

    I am tired of messing with the Radio Shack TRS jacks. They are cheap and fragile

    reply to this post or PM me - either way is fine with me.

    thanks
    -racer52
    TD-20 (non expanded), acoustic look DIY a to e conversion - some cake pan/ some crossbar method. DIY cymbals, VH-12 :-)
    .
    Psalm 150
    had the best times with this band https://www.facebook.com/SaintHooliganMusic
    YouTube video postings: https://www.youtube.com/user/racer52online/videos
    Vdrums Photo Albums: http://www.vdrums.com/member/26923-racer52/media

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by racer52 View Post
      Great work!
      Couple of questions, if you do not mind.

      Could you tell me where you found that really long looking TRS jack?
      Can these be mounted with out counter sinking the mounting hole from the inside?

      I am tired of messing with the Radio Shack TRS jacks. They are cheap and fragile

      reply to this post or PM me - either way is fine with me.

      thanks
      -racer52
      Here's what I use.
      chris :D

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by racer52 View Post
        Great work!
        Couple of questions, if you do not mind.

        Could you tell me where you found that really long looking TRS jack?
        Can these be mounted with out counter sinking the mounting hole from the inside?

        I am tired of messing with the Radio Shack TRS jacks. They are cheap and fragile

        reply to this post or PM me - either way is fine with me.

        thanks
        -racer52

        Thanks racer!
        They are Neutrik jacks, designed for guitars. The end is made to hold a guitar strap, but I like the way they look and finish off the outside of the drum (better than a nut). The only downside is they can be too long in tight spots and have to be desoldered to remove them (no biggie).
        I got them from Parts Express for $1.89.
        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=092-128

        [EDIT]
        I see we use the same jack from the same source, bogiesbad.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank You - both

          Originally posted by Poco Askew View Post
          ... I see we use the same jack from the same source, bogiesbad.
          Thanks guys. guess this is the next part I need to order. Axe Grinder uses a small quick connect for the piezo to the jack. Kind of like the type that small radio controlled car batteries use, or old cordless phone batteries. I'll see if that will feed through the hole. If so , then all could be soldered outside the drum and then just plugged up.

          Happy New Year!
          TD-20 (non expanded), acoustic look DIY a to e conversion - some cake pan/ some crossbar method. DIY cymbals, VH-12 :-)
          .
          Psalm 150
          had the best times with this band https://www.facebook.com/SaintHooliganMusic
          YouTube video postings: https://www.youtube.com/user/racer52online/videos
          Vdrums Photo Albums: http://www.vdrums.com/member/26923-racer52/media

          Comment


          • #6
            Great job!!!

            I'm almost done with my DIY kit and I was wondering what type of tubing did you us for the bottom of the shells? They look great.

            Thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              Looks great! I like your bass drum mount. What kind of DIY cymbals are you going to make?
              alesisDRUMMER.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Looks really good, and it looks like you did it right on the kitchen table! I could never get away with that! Nice bass mount! I did the wood cross bar also. It's much cheaper and easier than an aluminum U-channel.
                sigpic JerEd Systems, LED drum triggers

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cal300d View Post
                  Great job!!!

                  I'm almost done with my DIY kit and I was wondering what type of tubing did you us for the bottom of the shells? They look great.

                  Thanks
                  I found the black vinyl tubing (3/8" ID / 1/2" OD) at Home Depot. It was just over $3.00 for 10 ft. and I used about 30 ft of it.
                  [EDIT]
                  I used it on the top hoops as well. Its probably a little louder than EPDM when struck, but it is cheap and matches the bottom. The noise isn't bad - plenty good enough in my application.
                  Last edited by Poco Askew; 01-01-09, 08:39 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
                    Looks great! I like your bass drum mount. What kind of DIY cymbals are you going to make?
                    I have some cheap brass cymbals, I'm going to torture with a drill press (seems only fair)
                    I'm going to shoot for a ride with bell, a couple of crashes with chokes, and some hats. I'm working on the hat controller design now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jman 31 View Post
                      Looks really good, and it looks like you did it right on the kitchen table! I could never get away with that! Nice bass mount! I did the wood cross bar also. It's much cheaper and easier than an aluminum U-channel.
                      I think the wood looks better too. It blends in with the rest of the drum's interior.
                      Worse than the kitchen table - its our pool table. Its an easy spot for taking a picture 'cuz of the light. I don't actually work on them there.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Great Job Poco. Your kit looks great.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Looks great. Very inspiring. I've resisted for a very long time but I'm really thinking of doing some diy toms now.
                          I have a couple questions as I scour the sea of info on here:

                          What does the tape do around the rim piezo? You have double sided tape on each side of it.

                          Also, is there any kind of consensus with the location of the piezo on the shell in relation to the crossbar? I noticed yours is pretty close to the crossbar. I've also seen people put it at 90 degrees from the bar to get it as far away as possible from the angle mounts. I have no idea if it matters I just thought I'd ask before I do anything.




                          Easy Cheapo gig set:
                          Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by thebaron View Post
                            What does the tape do around the rim piezo? You have double sided tape on each side of it.

                            Also, is there any kind of consensus with the location of the piezo on the shell in relation to the crossbar? I noticed yours is pretty close to the crossbar. I've also seen people put it at 90 degrees from the bar to get it as far away as possible from the angle mounts. I have no idea if it matters I just thought I'd ask before I do anything.
                            I'm certainly no expert and I consider this a work in progress as I learn.

                            I put the tape on either side of the piezo (just under the brass ring) because I find it triggers well and holds better. There is a layer of double-sided tape, the piezo, then another layer of tape to sandwich the piezo between two sticky surfaces. I used double-sided tape for the second layer 'cuz it was handy. In the other drums I used a piece of duct tape for the top layer since double-sided wasn't needed. I also did this because on concave surfaces with a small radius, the brass part can hit when mounting just the center. I know you can stack the foam tape to lift the piezo, but that also changes the sensitivity.

                            The placement of that particular piezo is different from most of the others. I normally put them at 90 degrees to the bridge/crossbar because thats where I'm most likely to strike the rim. On that tom, I knew I'd be striking in a different area due to it's placement. The altered placement wasn't necessary as all toms edge trigger fine no matter where I strike them. Again - part of my experimentation and learning process. If I was to re-do it, I'd put them all at 90 degrees just for aesthetics and because it probably minimizes crosstalk.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks! I'll put those in my personal "diy file".

                              You brought up a good point about planning where you'll be mounting and hitting the rim on toms and placing the piezo there. Good thinking.




                              Easy Cheapo gig set:
                              Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X