Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmoore
    replied
    OK. I seem to have it working well now. I made some adjustments and I'm very happy with the results! I've got edge sounds coming from the edge and bow sounds coming from the bow. I put photos up on my profile page to show how I did it.
    Thanks again for the input!!

Leave a comment:

• Mmoore
    replied
    Thanks for the replies! Yes, evil1rox, that's exactly what's happening. And Hellfire, thanks, it was that very design of yours that I followed... almost. What I did though was to double face tape only the outer rim of the bottom piece of aluminum, sort of like a flap, making it easier to choke the cymbal due to the thickness of the aluminum. I just revamped it to where the double face tape is on the inner edge of the flap, and now it's very consistant! Only instead of being bow/edge, it's more like two halfs. The choke works even better now. I'm still working on it!!

Leave a comment:

• Hellfire
    replied
    This happens because a Roland CY8 is the same set-up as your DIY hart with homemade choke switch. The switch is used for the second zone and a choke on a CY series cymbal. It's not consistent because of the way you built the switch and the fact you mounted to the bottom of your cymbal. You guys might find this interesting:

Get a Choke Hold (eCymbal Choke Switch)

BTW Mmoore, Welcome to Vdrums!
    Last edited by Hellfire; 12-30-08, 10:57 AM. Reason: added more

Leave a comment:

• evil1rox
    replied
    Originally posted by Mmoore View Post
    Here's my setup: Td3 module on a Hart Prodigy set. I added a CY8 for dual crash sounds and an FD8. I moved the CY8 to be the hi hat (just ordered a CY5, KD8, and Pintech 14" ride, so the CY8 will go back to crash duty). So, I decide to make a choke switch for the Hart single zone cymbal that came with the Prodigy kit. I used leftover aluminum sheet (@.030) from a set of race car wheel tubs. The choke switch works great!

Now to the strange part: If I hit the cymbal in different ways (like bow/edge) I get the two different crash sounds I had set up for the CY8!! It's a single trigger cymbal! Unfortunately It's not consistant, so I set the same sound for the rim and the bow in the TD3, and it works like I originally intended.

Any ideas on why it's acting like a dual trigger cymbal??
    Thanks in advance

I had exactly the same thing happening on my older Hart polymer crashes when I still used them.

If I recall properly...it was triggering the piezo and engaging the choke at the same time. This was being interpreted by the module as a second zone and firing off a different sound.

As you mentioned though it was to inconsistent to rely on.

E

Leave a comment:

• Mmoore
    started a topic Strange results from choke switch mod

Strange results from choke switch mod

Here's my setup: Td3 module on a Hart Prodigy set. I added a CY8 for dual crash sounds and an FD8. I moved the CY8 to be the hi hat (just ordered a CY5, KD8, and Pintech 14" ride, so the CY8 will go back to crash duty). So, I decide to make a choke switch for the Hart single zone cymbal that came with the Prodigy kit. I used leftover aluminum sheet (@.030) from a set of race car wheel tubs. The choke switch works great!

Now to the strange part: If I hit the cymbal in different ways (like bow/edge) I get the two different crash sounds I had set up for the CY8!! It's a single trigger cymbal! Unfortunately It's not consistant, so I set the same sound for the rim and the bow in the TD3, and it works like I originally intended.

Any ideas on why it's acting like a dual trigger cymbal??
    Thanks in advance
Working...
X