DIY Roadcase for V-drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Roadcase for V-drums

So it occurred to me while I was in the middle of production of my V-drums that after putting so much time and effort into them, that the last thing I could bare to see was them getting destroyed in transit to or from one of our gigs. So after not finding what I would consider satisfactory AND not wanting to spend $400-500 on a custom case that MIGHT work, I set about building my own. Here's the pix. Enjoy!

Wood construction finished:

Time for carpeting:

Interior view of retractable handle for tilt-n-roll:

Completed foam layout with room remaining for the last piece of my drum puzzle, an eventually SPD-S sampler:

I made rails for the bottom (and one side for standing on end) out of an industrial plastic. They make the case easier to slide in and out of the truck and keep the set of corner wheels from making the case move around too easily.

So there you have it. One roadcase to protect my V-drums from the rigors of the road, and my guitarist

Nicely done! Looks like a pro job!
    Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

One word,

WOW!
      alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

MAN THAT IS FREAKIN FANTASTIC! ...caps intended. 1000% awesome job on that!

Comment

Looks brilliant!! How tricky was it to get the carpet on? Did you just glue and clamp with staples?

Fantastic work - a tidy little road setup!
          www.apartmentdrummer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Salabim View Post
            Looks brilliant!! How tricky was it to get the carpet on? Did you just glue and clamp with staples?

Fantastic work - a tidy little road setup!
            I was not looking forward to the carpeting part because that was the part that everyone would see. Any screw ups would be visible and after a few gigs I didn't want the carpeting to start falling off! Anyway, it wasn't as stressful as I initially though it would be. I used 3M Super77 spray adhesive to attach the material. The seams were a tricky area; the carpeting has a little stretch to it so if the cuts were not perfect, you could give it a little tug to get it to cover. Anywhere there were seems I would use some weight to keep thing set for a few hours. I used one long piece of carpet to wrap the exterior four sides of the case and made sure that my seam would be exactly under one of the plastic rails. The carpet was 54" wide so I could cut and wrap the excess on the top and bottom of the case to close it in. Again, on the bottom, I could cover my seam with one of the plastic rails. I did use staples to hold the carpet on the inside of the case as well as the inside of the lid. Time will tell if in a few years I will need to re-carpet it or not. I've seen some of the carpet on our speaker boxes start to loosen over the years, especially if anything had gotten wet. And thanks again, all, for the kind words!

Comment

S:C, that is incredible. I wish I had any kind of woodworking skill.
              sigpic

Comment

great case awesome kit. how much did you end up spending. i made a road case too but i put duplicolor diy truck bedding instead of carpet. but my cases lack nice handles.if only i had a small wood shop in my garage. or a communal workshop nearby.

yee my 100th post!
                binary solo! 000001 0000011 0000111 0001111 (oh)
                000001 (oh oh) 0000011 (oh) 00000111 (one) 00001111
                come on sucker lick my battery.
                Boogie,boogie, Robo boogie!
                boogie, Robo boogie

Comment

Originally posted by alexzeegreat View Post
                  great case awesome kit. how much did you end up spending. i made a road case too but i put duplicolor diy truck bedding instead of carpet. but my cases lack nice handles.if only i had a small wood shop in my garage. or a communal workshop nearby.

yee my 100th post!
                  After everything was said and done; approximate cost for the project was $220.00. That sounds high until you price what a custom made case at the dimensions that I needed would run; closer to 500.00 and I would have still needed to layout the interior foam compartments.

And congrats on your 100th post. I'm a long way away from that!

Comment

Originally posted by alexzeegreat View Post
                    if only i had a small wood shop in my garage. or a communal workshop nearby.
                    I forgot to mention that my 'wood shop' was my detached garage (that means no heat) and the lumber was cut outside so that the garage wasn't full of sawdust (yeah, that didn't work.) Final construction was done in the basement, which didn't leave much room to work! Not to mention our two cats always needing to be under foot or near the action. That black carpet shows up cat hair nicely.

Comment

System,

You've inspired me to get my butt back in the garage and bust out my woodworking tools.

That is truely an amazing job. How heavy is the case? It looks really heavy.

Where did you get the hardware?

Thanks.
                      -Coop

Roland TDW-20 Module VEX'd, Boss FS-6, two DW 9900 holding four Pintech Concertcast toms, Hart Dynamics Pro Snare on DW 9300, Hart Dynamics ECymbal II HiHat on EPedal II, Hart 14" Crash, 12"crash, 14"China, 16"ride on 4X DW 9700 , Pintech DingBat, Roland KD-120, Tama Iron Cobra doubles, Pork Pie Big Boy Throne (Camo).

Comment

Originally posted by labenske View Post
                        System,

You've inspired me to get my butt back in the garage and bust out my woodworking tools.

That is truely an amazing job. How heavy is the case? It looks really heavy.

Where did you get the hardware?

Thanks.
                        Go for it; I have found that it is one of the most satisfying things in life to DIY!

The case weight is just under 60 lbs. That sounds heavy but the outside dimensions are 43 x 21 x 18"; it's a monster! I bought all the hardware from Parts Express (http://www.parts-express.com). I could spend thousands of dollars on that website!

Feel free to ask any questions concerning the case or tools that I used. Now get to that garage!

Comment

Absolutely stunning case.

I'll be sure to try my best at imitating this someday.

P.S. Glad to see parts express got a dash in their url.
                          -[K]

Comment

Originally posted by System:Critical View Post
                            I bought all the hardware from Parts Express (http://www.parts-express.com). I could spend thousands of dollars on that website!
                            That was just mean putting that there I spent half an hour dreaming of the stuff I could build with some of the stuff on that site rather than doing maths revision!

Comment

I have spent thousands at that site Of course I build speakers as well and my last pair were around 1500 haha!

Comment

Working...
                              X