My DIY beginnings:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DIY beginnings:

Well, after debating whether or not to make my own half-drums or convert a complete set, I decided on the full set. The wife got me the Gibraltar V-Rack for Christmas (the 3 sided station) and we went to buy the drums yesterday. She also got me a Zildjian ZBT 3-Pack to help me get started on the cymbals. I decided the drum set would be the PDP X7 black to silver sparkle fade.

Here's the shot before I begin the conversion process. I have acquired all of the cones, piezos, a TD-10, an Alesis Trigger IO, and will be working on expanding the setup as finances see fit (about a month away from completion, minus G.A.S. problems)

I did a second trip yesterday to pick up a hi-hat stand, snare stand, and some extra clamps for the rack setup.

Here's what I have so far:

Dan
    Dan

I love your Tom sizes. And that rack is The sparkle fade thing is kickass also. Are you gonna keep posting your progress? I think I can speak for many when I say we love that sorta thing around here.

Good luck!

Comment

whey more DIY I have gone for the Halfs. I have got 4 10" toms out of 2 drums and 2 12" snares soon to be completed

Looks fantastic. Why don't you mount the floor toms?

Keep us updated

Cheers
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbutmean View Post
        I love your Tom sizes. And that rack is The sparkle fade thing is kickass also. Are you gonna keep posting your progress? I think I can speak for many when I say we love that sorta thing around here.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'll be posting pics of progress until it's finished. I just ran out of money this paycheck with the biggest purchases now out of the way.
        Dan

Comment

Stunning looking kit!
          . digitalDrummer
          Review index

Comment

Beautiful kit! Congrats.

Can't wait to see more!
            TD-6V, TD-3, KD-8, PD-85BK (snare), PD-8 (T1, T2, T3), CY-8 (Crash 1-2, Ride), FD-8/CY-5 (Hi-Hat).

Comment

That kit looks good and will make a great eKit. Keep in mind that building edrums for Roland modules is a little different than building for an Alesis Trigger I/O. I'm only stating this because I noticed that you have listed both a Roland and an Alesis I/O as some of your gear. Roland proprietary dual zone wiring doesn't work well with the Alesis trigger I/O and wiring a dual zone for the Alesis doesn't work that well with Roland modules. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your progress.
              alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

SWEET!

Can't wait to see the end result... thanks for sharing!
                Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by tomrbland View Post
                  Why don't you mount the floor toms?
                  Tom
                  I will be mounting the toms eventually, but the problem is that with a finish like that, if I turn them upside-down, then it will look goofy. I'm thinking of lowering the rack on the right, and putting in an arm upside down so I can mount them, but still in the low position.
                  Dan

Comment

you could just use one of these http://www.loadsadrumstuff.co.uk/USE...IM%20MOUNT.JPG

Comment

Love that kit! Keep posting your progress...

Although not as spectacular as your kit - my a to e kit project is in an album attached to my user name.
                      TD-20 (non expanded), acoustic look DIY a to e conversion - some cake pan/ some crossbar method. DIY cymbals, VH-12 :-)
                      Psalm 150
                      had the best times with this band https://www.facebook.com/SaintHooliganMusic
                      YouTube video postings: https://www.youtube.com/user/racer52online/videos
                      Vdrums Photo Albums: http://www.vdrums.com/member/26923-racer52/media

Comment

Originally posted by tomrbland View Post
                        Yeah, good point, that way it would keep the isolation mount going as well
                        Dan

Comment

Ok, well here's a bit of an update.

I just got the rest of my cymbal stands, most of my cymbals (have 2 more coming) and will need to get a couple more clamps for the rack. But here's what I've got so far:

Sorry for the crappy quality, but it was from my iphone. I am starting on the actual conversion process. I have most trigger bars built, and have the MB-96 boxes ready to stuff with jacks and piezos. I did buy one of JMan's 3-zone ride trigger to give it a try. If it goes well, I'll just outfit all the cymbals with his triggers. I got my heads a while back and all the drums have the Hart heads with Pearl mesh bottoms.

I have the hi-hat, mini-hats, ride and 10" splash covered in PVC so far, but have more on order. One of the crashes coming will go where the mini-hats are, and I'm not sure where the other one will go. I also have a PD-120 and PD-105 that I'll try to integrate in there somehow. I should have enough inputs (hopefully)

I got my DW5000 pedals, and an FD-8 to convert my hi-hat stand. This all is going through a TD-10 and Alesis Trigger IO into BFD2 to start.

It's a slow process, but I'm anxious to start playing again.
                          Dan

Comment

Beautiful kit dhanisch!

Love the silver sparkle fade with white Hart heads and Z-cymbals.
                            TD-20exp module/TD-10exp * VH-12 hh * Gibraltar hh stand * 4 Hart Hammers * 2-22" kicks w/Pintech triggers & Blastech mesh * 1-14" snare w/Pintech triggers & Hart mesh *2-10", 2-12" & 2-14" roto toms w/Quartz triggers & Hart mesh * 7 PCY-150 cymbals

Comment

Geez...That kit is almost to pretty to do that
                              A to E Yamaha / Yamaha Cymbals / Mac Mini

Comment

Working...
                              X