Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System:Critical's DIY V-drums

OK boys and girls,
    I've put this off for long enough and seeing as how it was only possible through the expert advice on this forum, the least I can do is show everyone how it turned out.
    Around last Spring I got motivated to get in contact with Knipedrums for the maple shells that I needed for my project. Tom promptly took care of my order, but it took me until late June to start on the staining.

Tom also set me up with the stain for my shells, but after several coats, it turned out to be not quite dark enough to match my existing kit. So I switched to a Sherwin Williams stain and then applied several coats of Polyacrylic.

Next I started drilling holes in the 14" V-drum and mounted the hardware, which turned out to be the most expensive part of the V-drums, since I was trying to match the Tama Artstar lugs that are on my acoustics. Anyone who has Tama Granstar lugs usually is charging a healthy price for them. I bought some full size Granstar toms off of e-Bay that I hope to eventually make into a small practice kit and removed the lugs for my V-drums.

Then I went into cone production.

Next I laid out the crossbar, piezo & cone.

Once I had finished the 14" V-drum, I moved on to one 10". It was my hope to use them along with my Pintechs at our gig in August. They performed great.

After that gig, it was time to manufacture the other five 10" toms.

And one month before our gig at the end of November, my V-drums were finished. I have four 10"s and one 14" to my left:

And I have two 10"s to my right:

Other than some tweaking for a little hotspotting on two of the drums, everything went great. I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for all of their insight and tricks that I was able to benefit from in completing my project. If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to return the favor and share anything I can to help someone out. Thanks again, Vdrums.com forum!!!

Wow! Beautiful, great job. Definitely inspires me to give it a shot. May I ask what your cost per tom worked out to?
    "to get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder" - keith moon

Comment

Originally posted by kauaiplayer View Post
      Wow! Beautiful, great job. Definitely inspires me to give it a shot. May I ask what your cost per tom worked out to?
      Thanks for the compliments, kauaiplayer. As close as I can figure it, the 10" V-drums were $122.00 per drum and the 14" was $146.00. I know that seems high for a DIY job, but because I wanted them to blend in with my acoustics (and I'm a perfectionist ) I spent extra for the Tama tom brackets and especially the old Granstar lugs. Not to mention the price of Roland mesh heads! Thanks again!

Comment

Just gosh-darned beautiful.
        sigpic

Comment

Nice job and nice color match, which is a project all by itself!
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

A great job indeed. Congratulations! I never thought I would choose green for drums but yours look realy good, kind of... well, healthy...
            2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

Gorgeous shells...love the clear finish. Top notch job.
              chris :D

Comment

GREAT job!! I didn't think to use oak for crossbars on my DIY drums. Do you think the wood may transmit less crosstalk? Less rubber washer insulators required as well.
                I imagine total set of drums just got a little heavier though.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzmo View Post
                  GREAT job!! I didn't think to use oak for crossbars on my DIY drums. Do you think the wood may transmit less crosstalk? Less rubber washer insulators required as well.
                  I imagine total set of drums just got a little heavier though.
                  Thanks! Actually, I used poplar for the crossbars. I wanted them to be close to the color of the inside of the shells and the oak that I was looking at had a red tint to it. I've had no crosstalk problems so maybe the wood crossbars helps. And the weight factor was very low with the poplar.

Comment

Great looking kit!

Stijn
                    'lectric drumma
                    Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

nice and really close to the color i want to do mine in.good job

Comment

Love that color!!!

Nice build bro.

E
                        - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Can you show us the whole kit? Can ya, can ya, can ya
                          Cheers
                          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pchanning View Post
                            Can you show us the whole kit? Can ya, can ya, can ya
                            Actually, I just took pictures yesterday of my kit as I reassembled it for the purpose of putting it in the "Showcase" forum. So hang tight! And I promise to do it much quicker than it took me (8 months) to put my DIY thread together...

Comment

Working...
                            X