• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daveybabes
    replied
    Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
    Check out this link:
    http://www.drumfoundry.com/t-using_d...drum_tjig.aspx

Of course they use the specialty tools and jigs that they sell. But, the general concepts are still applicable, even without the specialty tools.

-SD-

Yep i was considering something like a layout mat (was gonna make my own, didn't know they sold them) and that jig looks the biz with it's little cut outs for easy marking.

Ordered a T Jig and wrap cutter from Keller Europe ... should be great!

Thanks for the tips guys, as always you are V helpful.
    Last edited by daveybabes; 12-31-08, 04:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SiliconDrummer
    replied
    Check out this link:
    http://www.drumfoundry.com/t-using_d...drum_tjig.aspx

Of course they use the specialty tools and jigs that they sell. But, the general concepts are still applicable, even without the specialty tools.

-SD-

Leave a comment:

• bogiesbad
    replied
    Here's a page using a snare with step by step and some pictures (some links don't work). I'm sure you could use the same technique for toms. Scroll down to "July 1st".
    If I were doing one I would PM Tom Knipe first...he has a trick for setting the lug holes...if you don't know him he is a great guy and would be happy to help. KnipeDrums

Leave a comment:

• daveybabes
    replied
    Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
    If you are worried about breakthrough on the inside of the drum, then you will have to clamp another piece of wood behind where you are drilling. This is how breakthrough is normally dealt with. Masking tape will only help on the outside of the drum shell. You shouldn't need to step up drill sizes.
    Good one

Leave a comment:

• Hellfire
    replied
    Originally posted by daveybabes View Post
    Hi

What's the best way to mark out a shell for lugs and drill it so it's spot on and no splinters too when the drill reaches the other side of the shell.

What's your technique?

I've measured around the drum, then divide by 6 then used a set square to draw a straight line down and then worked out the lug markings at certain measurements from edge to get centre to centre of the lugs using set square again ... took ages then is it best to place some masking tape on the inside? will that stop splintering off the drill? stepping up the drill sizes in stages ...

Any easier ways for the above? gheez ... i've aged 10 years

Thanks from Dave
    If you are worried about breakthrough on the inside of the drum, then you will have to clamp another piece of wood behind where you are drilling. This is how breakthrough is normally dealt with. Masking tape will only help on the outside of the drum shell. You shouldn't need to step up drill sizes.

Leave a comment:

• daveybabes
    started a topic Drilling shells/marking out shells

Drilling shells/marking out shells

Hi

What's the best way to mark out a shell for lugs and drill it so it's spot on and no splinters too when the drill reaches the other side of the shell.

What's your technique?

I've measured around the drum, then divide by 6 then used a set square to draw a straight line down and then worked out the lug markings at certain measurements from edge to get centre to centre of the lugs using set square again ... took ages then is it best to place some masking tape on the inside? will that stop splintering off the drill? stepping up the drill sizes in stages ...

Any easier ways for the above? gheez ... i've aged 10 years - By the way Happy Christmas to you all.

Thanks from Dave
    Last edited by daveybabes; 12-23-08, 12:44 PM.
Working...
X