Brain (input) Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain (input) Damage

I have been messing around all weekend modifying and fine-tuning my ride cymbal to make it perform as good as possible with my TD-8. I got it to a place where it triggered between zones really well... next thing I know- it barely works. I have been using a KRC, so I removed it and just wired both bell and bow piezos to a TRS jack. They only triggered when I seriously whacked the cymbal really hard, yet the sensitivity is turned all the way up. The retrigger and threshold values are turned all the way down. Normally, this would make for uncontrollable triggering. I also changed the piezos, thinking that maybe the piezos were damaged. Same thing. I then plugged in my crash (which works fine) in and the same drastic loss of sensitivity occurs when in this input.

Has something happened to my ride input? Have I fried it? I have never had any problems like this before although I have DIY'ed my entire kit. I sure can't figure out what is going on. I have a very dreadful feeling about this and there is NO WAY that I will be able to afford another module until, oh, about 2011. I am rather upset about it at the moment and would love to discover a remedy to this, or at worst, an explanation.
    sigpic

Easy to check if you have damaged your module - plug in a drum pad and different lead - check you get a good cymbal sound.

If you dont, looks like brain damage.
    If you do, it's a case of fault finding on your lead/cymbal/KRC.

Check the soldering on your lead hasn't come away - might be a 'dry joint' in the plug somewhere.
    Check you don't have a stray strand of wire shorting across your connections in your lead.
    Again, check for a damaged/short on the output socket of your KRC.

Check the soldering on your KRC - make sure none of the components have come loose.

After that, I think you are down to faulting individual components.

Comment

1) When you tried the other working "good" cymbal, which cable did you use?

2) Also, what did you use for the trigger settings? Did you change ALL the trigger settings on the "bad" input to be EXACTLY the same as the "good" input that you were previously using the "good" cymbal on?

3) If you don't mind, can you post ALL of the trigger settings on your bad input -- pad type, sensitivity, threshold, scan time, etc...

4) Which trigger input on your TD-8 is the bad one? Also, which trigger input was the "good" cymbal plugged in to?

5) Have you changed drum kits? Does it exhibit the same problem on all drum kits?

-SD-

Comment

Jemmo,

I have already checked out the continuity of the circuits and tried it without the KRC, with different piezos, and different cymbals in the "trouble" input- all with the same results.

Silicon Drummer,

It wasn't the cable nor the settings either. The problem remained no matter what kit I used. The input in question is the ride (input 10).

Thank you both for trying to offer ideas, but the solution was something nobody would have guessed. After trying everything under the sun, I gave up and turned it off. I typed this thread and thought about it some more, then I turned it back on. It worked like nothing ever happened. All I did was turn it on and the problem was gone. Perhaps somebody with a background in electronics could explain that, but that to me is the weirdest solution of all (luckily the easiest and least expensive as well). Somehow I feel like this issue could arise again in the future, but I sure hope it was a one-time thing. I am relieved (though very confused) for now. whew!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
          After trying everything under the sun, I gave up and turned it off.
          What, you didn't turn it off and on when "trying everything under the sun" to trouble shoot the problem? LOL

Glad to see that it is all squared away. Now you can just forget about it and have a happy holiday!

-SD-

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
            What, you didn't turn it off and on when "trying everything under the sun" to trouble shoot the problem? LOL

Glad to see that it is all squared away. Now you can just forget about it and have a happy holiday!

-SD-
            Yeah, I guess I didn't try everything. heh heh

Hope your holidays are happy too!
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X