Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY hihat w/ FD7 and ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY hihat w/ FD7 and ?

hey there

been lurking around here.
    i've gotten an old kit i wanna make .. well A-to-E

got my triggers for BD, SN and toms ready.
    and i've actually bought a VH-11 for hihat.

but i figured i wanted to give a go with a DIY hi-hat. AND cymbals.
    basically for the looks of it.
    and if it'll save me money and learn me something at the same time.. well why the hell not?

so for what i've understood, the only thing needed for a 2zone hihat (ie. no bell needed), i just need
    an FD-7 pedal
    a HH820 stand (or another one that'll fit the FD-7)
    a hihat cymbal or two (top/bottom)
    2 piezo's/transducers
    and a piezo/piezo to piezo/switch "magic box" (or do i even need this?)

for my TD-3 will this work:
    FD-7 to HH-control
    Hihat to Hihat input

thanks in advance

ps. lovely forum!! a bit confusing at times. but that's the nOOb in me.

Originally posted by ole_hansen View Post
    and if it'll save me money and learn me something at the same time.. well why the hell not?
    Pardon my french, but why the hell bother if you already have a VH11?

I just got a killer deal on some 13.5" plastic practice hi-hats off ebay, and eventually I intend to built a DIY hi-hat rig myself. But I'm already wondering if I should bother since I'm already pretty happy with my CY-5 and I'm never gonna get any more than 3 zones out of my TD-3 anyway. I can tell you, if I could afford a VH-11, or better yet, already had one... I'd be looking elsewhere to spend my GAS allowance...
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
      Pardon my french, but why the hell bother if you already have a VH11?

i also just have a TD-3,
      but they sole reason why i want a PD-7 w/ real hats solution, is because i want my drumkit to look REAL.
      and the vh-11 doesn't look real. it looks like plastic. black plastic.

i'll only get the 3 zones too. but i want to do it.

jman hasn't done a tutorial for this has he?
      i've only seen the pics and text on his website - but there's no video tutorial of it, correct?
      or even someone's who've had good luck with it?

Comment

jman hasn't done a tutorial for this has he?
        i've only seen the pics and text on his website - but there's no video tutorial of it, correct?
        or even someone's who've had good luck with it?

Comment

come on jman!!!

please please please...

Comment

Sorry, I just saw this thread. I did a step by step FD-7/PDP HH stand conversion that is on my website DIY page complete with instructions and pics.... not planning a video.... c'mon guys, you shouldn't take the Y out of DIY ..... so, JDI ... Just Do It!
            I don't have a TD-3. But this will work identical to how the FD-7 works with the TD-3.

For the TD-12 or TD-20 I build an in-line adapter ... simple, just a resistor added. This makes it possible to use the VH-12 setting on the module. But as discussed before with those modules it is easy to get the full range of response from full open to the Xtra tight sound simply by changing CCMax to 127 on the VH-11/FD setting. I love the response of this HH stand/controller, it lacks nothing in response for me.

As far as my cymbal conversions, no step by step for those.... sorry
            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Jman. Thanks very much for the guide. I just did a search for some ideas as I hate the price of the Hart stand. Brilliant guide, just what I need.

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                Jman. Thanks very much for the guide. I just did a search for some ideas as I hate the price of the Hart stand. Brilliant guide, just what I need.
                Cool, glad it helps. I had the Hart Epedal II for a short time before I built my own stand based on the FD-7. I find the response equivalent between the 2... no loss at all in functionality.
                I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Working...
                X