Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the McMaster foam just as good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the McMaster foam just as good?

If I order the foam from McMaster in place of Roland cones, does it work just as well as the Roland?

That's really all I want to know..LOL

All indications from those in the know is, yes it works as well as the stock Roland cones.
    Some of the most well know DIY'ers use it exclusively.
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

sweet. thanks!

Comment

Poron very-soft is hard to beat.
        chris :D

Comment

Ahh, a thread (loosely) along the lines I was going to post under. I'm new to the DIY scene, and am wondering if anyone has tried (and how successfully) using one of the foams available in rods from McMaster-Carr? It seems like it would be much easier and more consistent than cutting/stacking the 86375K144 from them.

What am I missing here? I notice that the 863ect. has a unique combination of being very soft with excellent compression recovery and a fairly high density. Compared to the silicone with good compression recovery but a "firm" firmness and higher density or the Static control foam which also has good compression recovery and is rated as "soft" (instead of "extra soft"), but is much less dense.

I look at all of this and my head starts to hurt, particularly when I read of some people utilizing sanding blocks from the local big box store to fabricate cones from! How much does the particular foam effect the response???

FWIW, I haven't done anything yet, but the plan is a Beatnik crossbar system mounted single zone in 12" acoustic shells cut in half (doubling my triggers per drum), utilizing 35mm piezos to trigger a Alesis D4 (subject to future upgrade), which in turn will (via MIDI) drive a SPD-11 and ultimately an Akai sampler or two.

Again, forgive me for dumping so much into an opening post, but there are so many alleys to head down in this DIY adventure - and I'm more of a player than a builder, so I'd like to get good results the first time around if at all possible.

Thank you all for any input you can offer!
          Last edited by Tristar; 11-25-08, 11:34 PM. Reason: Added detail

Comment

I have looked at the rods as well...cylinders are used in the Hart and Pintech triggers I believe.
            chris :D

Comment

What is the part number for the rods that are in question? I may have to give them a try.

Comment

I don't have the part numbers at hand immediately, and there are actually a number of different foams available from them in rods - all with varying characteristics.

If you start at

http://www.mcmaster.com/

and enter "foam" in the search field. This will start the process of drilling down the options - I then chose rods from the menu, then 2" diamater. None of them matches Poron exactly, pretty much all are either more or less dense or differ in some other quality. I e-mailed them asking for suggestions and received no useful response.

I may well be over-analyzing this (considering people are apparently successfully making cones out of sanding blocks from Lowes). Having not done this before, I'm really in the dark regarding what the most essential traits for the foam to have are: density, firmness, compression recovery, shock absorbtion?

Please take a look and let me know if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions (including "just order the Poron and stick it together).

Thanks in advance!
                Last edited by Tristar; 11-27-08, 11:50 PM. Reason: syntax error

Comment

Working...
                X