Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attaching cymbal triggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching cymbal triggers

I have a set of those Pintech practice cymbals and plan to construct some (probably dual-zone) triggers on them. However, I'm not sure what the best way is to attach the TRS jack to the cymbal. I've seen some demonstrations of people housing it in a small plastic casing and then screwing it to the cymbal. I'm not sure how to get a casing like this, or if it's the best solution. What have you guys tried that worked well? Anyone try hot gluing?

I just recently finished converting some Pintech's into cymbal triggers. I'm not sure my way is particularly great, nor am I sure how long they will last this way, but it was painfully simple.

I just epoxied piezos directly onto the underside of the cymbals (about 2" from the edge of the cymbal closest to me), then taped the wires up towards the center hole with gaffer's tape (similar to duct tape). I have the jacks attached to the cymbal stands so that they don't hang & put pressure on any connections. I made sure NOT to glue the piezo's directly beneath any areas where the cymbal would be directly struck; they're fragile. That's it.

For my ride, I epoxied an additional piezo inside the bell of the cymbal. I made sure not to put them too close to each other to avoid crosstalk & set up my module (Alesis DM Pro) to read both piezo's separately; one for ride & one for bell. Works like a charm so far.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_B View Post
      I have a set of those Pintech practice cymbals and plan to construct some (probably dual-zone) triggers on them. However, I'm not sure what the best way is to attach the TRS jack to the cymbal. I've seen some demonstrations of people housing it in a small plastic casing and then screwing it to the cymbal. I'm not sure how to get a casing like this, or if it's the best solution. What have you guys tried that worked well? Anyone try hot gluing?
      Hot glue is OK for a temporary fix, but it seems like sooner or later it vibrates loose. The sturdiest way to mount a TRS jack seems to be with project boxes. I personally prefer to tape them on with several layers of killer red tape, but I am not sure how well tape would work for you since they are practice cymbals. IMO, I'd just use screws with boxes. I get my project boxes from Radioshack, but I bet somebody around here could give you a link to a good website that sells them for much cheaper.

Something to consider... if you use a box, just make sure that you position it on the cymbal so that you can still get the plug in and out of the jack.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but these confused me (highlighted):

Originally posted by jefzilla View Post
        I just epoxied piezos directly onto the underside of the cymbals (about 2" from the edge of the cymbal closest to me), then taped the wires up towards the center hole with gaffer's tape (similar to duct tape). I have the jacks attached to the cymbal stands so that they don't hang & put pressure on any connections. I made sure NOT to glue the piezo's directly beneath any areas where the cymbal would be directly struck; they're fragile. That's it.
        Wouldn't 2" from the edge be directly beneath where the cymbal would be struck?

Also, I'm curious how you attached the jacks to the stands.

Comment

I guess it depends on the drummer; I side-swipe my crash cymbals on the edges with the side of the stick; I don't hit the surface of the crashes, if that makes any sense. I play my ride cymbal off to the side...not directly above where I glued the piezo.

I just used cable holders (those velcro thingies) to hold the jacks to the stands. Mind you, these are stand-alone jacks; the type you find at the end of headphone extension cords & such, with the plastic cover which screws over the actual connection where the wires are attached. Hope that helps.

I could take a pic & upload it if you'd like.

Rock it!

Comment

I guess it depends on the drummer; I side-swipe my crash cymbals on the edges with the side of the stick; I don't hit the surface of the crashes, if that makes any sense. I play my ride cymbal off to the side...not directly above where I glued the piezo.
            I use a variety of strikes on all my cymbals, which probably disperse over about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cymbal, where it's closest to me.

I have some old muffling pads that are intended for putting on drums and cymbals for "quiet practice" but I never use them so I was thinking about cutting piece of pie-shaped parts out of them and attaching it to the top of the practice cymbals to mute the sound a little more than the hard plastic.

I originally planned to then just attach the piezo elements on the underside of the practice cymbals (surrounded by foam) somewhere in the middle of the cymbal's bow (and another under the bell). Does this sound too dangerous in possibly damaging the piezos?

Comment

I use a variety of strikes on all my cymbals, which probably disperse over about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cymbal, where it's closest to me.

I have some old muffling pads that are intended for putting on drums and cymbals for "quiet practice" but I never use them so I was thinking about cutting piece of pie-shaped parts out of them and attaching it to the top of the practice cymbals to mute the sound a little more than the hard plastic.

I originally planned to then just attach the piezo elements on the underside of the practice cymbals (surrounded by foam) somewhere in the middle of the cymbal's bow (and another under the bell). Does this sound too dangerous in possibly damaging the piezos?
              If you are worried about piezos being damaged by vibration, just mount them with 2 layers of foam tape as opposed to one, as this will decrease the vibration yet allow them to trigger well.

Remember, there is always a compromise to muting versus sensitivity. Those mute pads will decrease the sensitivity, how drasticly will depend on how thick they are.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
                If you are worried about piezos being damaged by vibration, just mount them with 2 layers of foam tape as opposed to one, as this will decrease the vibration yet allow them to trigger well.

Remember, there is always a compromise to muting versus sensitivity. Those mute pads will decrease the sensitivity, how drasticly will depend on how thick they are.
                The pads are probably about 1/8" thick. What would you think of actually mounting the piezo element between the pad and the cymbal, and then drilling a hole for the wires to pass through under the cymbal to connect to a jack?

Comment

The pads are probably about 1/8" thick. What would you think of actually mounting the piezo element between the pad and the cymbal, and then drilling a hole for the wires to pass through under the cymbal to connect to a jack?

I had no success with 1/8" gum rubber, it killed the sensitivity and no module adjustments would help either... I removed the material after five minutes. I haven't tried any other types of materials yet, but I am thinking of trying 1/16" material some day.

What you are describing sounds exactly like the first e-cymbal that I ever bought (from a guy on eBay). It triggered unbelievably bad and I strongly recommend against that idea.

Is there any reason why you don't want to stick the piezo and/or box to the underside?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
                    Is there any reason why you don't want to stick the piezo and/or box to the underside?
                    I have nothing against mounting them underneath the cymbal. However, I was hoping to use some muffling to help keep the set relatively low volume. Even plastic can be pretty loud when playing.

Comment

However, I was hoping to use some muffling to help keep the set relatively low volume. Even plastic can be pretty loud when playing.
                      Yeah, that is a common challenge which has been covered in other threads numerous times. You can have really quiet cymbals, but you also will forfeit performance.The consensus is that Roland cymbals are the quietest, but also the most expensive.
                      sigpic

Comment

I just used cable holders (those velcro thingies) to hold the jacks to the stands. Mind you, these are stand-alone jacks; the type you find at the end of headphone extension cords & such, with the plastic cover which screws over the actual connection where the wires are attached. Hope that helps.

I could take a pic & upload it if you'd like.

Rock it!
                        I don't intend to hijack this topic; it is interesting to read, but, jefzilla, could you take a pic & upload it? I am really interested to see how you mounted the jacks, since i was thinking about a similar thing.

Also, i would really like to know how much inch your cymbal is, how thick your epoxyglue-layer was, and how you positioned the bell and bow piezo to not let them crosstalk! It's so hard isolating the piezo's!
                        Thanks,

By the way, won't it be possible to just mount the piezo on the cymbal with 3m double sided tape? If you have no time, its okay. Sorry for the hassle.

Greets,
                        Peaceandlove
                        Last edited by peaceandlove; 11-23-08, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X