Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Bass Drum Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Bass Drum Question

So I have a line on a really cheap but nice 18" bass drum. No one makes a mesh head in that size so I've been looking around at other options. I was thinking about somehow mounting my KD8 inside the drum as someone else on here had done with a KD-120. The other option I was wondering about was using a normal head with a Remo Muffle (full disc) and using a Roland RT-10K to trigger it. I only found one post on here mentioning something similar. Has anyone tried this? I would think it would feel really natural with the normal head. I'm just curious about the overall noise level as well as any possible triggering issues.

I thought Pearl did, but it doesn't look like it..
    I've been communicating w/ Billy Blast drums - he has his own mesh heads, you could email him..
    http://billyblastdrums.easystorecrea...Drums/list.htm

That's weird.. no 18"?? that's just WEIRD. Good luck..
    You can always make your own.. there are tons of threads on here aboot that.
    Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX. Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.
    sigpichttp://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=353

Comment

Pintech offers an 18" mesh head (black). Their site states $77.00, but if you call "Lorrie", she may be able to cut that price down some. WW

https://www.pintechworld.com/default.asp
      TD-20exp module/TD-10exp * VH-12 hh * Gibraltar hh stand * 4 Hart Hammers * 2-22" kicks w/Pintech triggers & Blastech mesh * 1-14" snare w/Pintech triggers & Hart mesh *2-10", 2-12" & 2-14" roto toms w/Quartz triggers & Hart mesh * 7 PCY-150 cymbals

Comment

Wow... Pintech 18" is spendy... the Pintech heads are pretty durable though. Percussion Plus does make an 18" mesh head... it is not as durable no doubt.... but you could eat up a few at this price:
        http://underbid.com/action/display/i...sku/MDH18.html
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Lexi,

lidrummer converted a small kick with a non-mesh head on it, I highly recommend checking out his thread (this may be the thread that you have already found):

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...bass+lidrummer

I think you can get away with using a regular head by muffling it with foam or whatnot...

Pros: You can use whatever kind of beater(s) you want, it is cheaper than buying a mesh head. Based on what other forum members say, a regular head triggers even better than a mesh head.

Cons: It may be louder than a typical mesh head, but probably not much louder unless compared to a Roland head, which is not an option here anyway.

If you still really want a mesh head though, I urge you to make your own. It is extremely cheap and rather easy as well.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all of the replys on this. All of these suggestions seem workable. My main concern is noise level so I might need to experiment a bit to see what will work the best. I saw this today and wonder how it would work if I did a internally mounted trigger:

http://www.puresoundpercussion.com/U...?ActiveID=1291

Comment

Originally posted by Lexicon View Post
              I saw this today and wonder how it would work if I did a internally mounted trigger:

http://www.puresoundpercussion.com/U...?ActiveID=1291
              I've never seen one of those devices, so you would be the first to try it to my knowledge. Adding a trigger is probably do-able, but how well it would perform is the question. My first impression is that there would be too much "give" involved, possibly contributing to double-triggering and such. However, sometimes a lot of triggering problems can be corrected by adjusting the module's settings. To really know how it would perform, I guess you would just have to try it for yourself and see. If you enjoy experimentation and have some money to play with, I say go for it.
              sigpic

Comment

Lexicon,

Just finished this 16" purple sparkle bass drum tonight (Pintech trigger bar, Hart mesh heads). Another bass and three toms to assemble WW
                Attached Files
                TD-20exp module/TD-10exp * VH-12 hh * Gibraltar hh stand * 4 Hart Hammers * 2-22" kicks w/Pintech triggers & Blastech mesh * 1-14" snare w/Pintech triggers & Hart mesh *2-10", 2-12" & 2-14" roto toms w/Quartz triggers & Hart mesh * 7 PCY-150 cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by WildWes View Post
                  Lexicon,

Just finished this 16" purple sparkle bass drum tonight (Pintech trigger bar, Hart mesh heads). Another bass and three toms to assemble WW
                  Cool stuff! Where is that trigger bar on Pintech's website? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.pintechworld.com/shop/sc...p?idproduct=85

Comment

Lexicon,

If your thinking of purchasing Pintech, call "Lorrie" before ordering anything off their online store. She's always given me a better deal than what's advertised WW

Lorrie Landry
                    Manager
                    Sales/Service
                    [email protected]
                    1-800-445-0506

Comment

Originally posted by WildWes View Post
                      Lexicon,

That looks great. Love the sparkle wrap! What is the depth of the kick? I'm trying to decide what size to make my kick. I want it to look acoustic but be portable, too, so I'm trying to decide between an 18 and 16...plus deciding on their respective depths. That might just be the right size! I'm eager to see it from a distance with the entire drum set to see the overall proportions.

Easy Cheapo gig set:
                      Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

Why not make your own out of the Solar Screen? Costs less than $20 for all the stuff you need and you'll have screen galore to make heads for the rest of your kit, too.

Comment

Originally posted by thebaron View Post
                          That looks great. Love the sparkle wrap! What is the depth of the kick? I'm trying to decide what size to make my kick. I want it to look acoustic but be portable, too, so I'm trying to decide between an 18 and 16...plus deciding on their respective depths. That might just be the right size! I'm eager to see it from a distance with the entire drum set to see the overall proportions.
                          I'm going for an 18" partially because there is a super cheap Mapex orphan available at the local Daddy's Junky Music. After much reading on here I'm also starting to think the smaller drum will be easier to get triggering well. The only thing I don't like is the need to shorten my beater position to hit closer to the center of the drum. I will probably be using one of these risers to keep it at the same spot a standard 22" would be.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...9&src=3SOSWXXB

Comment

thebaron,

The shell is 10" deep, 13.5" with the hoops on. I purchase these off eBay and they appear to be off a kids kit (cheap construction), but it works for me as a hobby kit. Once I assemble the other drums, I'll post a kit photo.

lexicon,

The attached photo shows the drum riser I use (Gibraltar I believe). I have the rizer set to it's lowest setting and my beaters strike just above the centered piezo.
                            Attached Files

Comment

WildWes,
                              Absolutely beautiful job on the BD.
                              I was wondering how your 16" x 10" BD sounded just as an acoustic bass drum?
                              I know it's a cheap quality shell, but am still curious.

Comment

Working...
                              X