Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal to feel the foam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it normal to feel the foam?

Im just currently doing a full A2E conversion on a drumkit. Going really well Ive built adjustable mounting for my piezo and everything is working great.

I have made my own foam cones with sanding blocks and made them cone shaped.

I have positioned the cone ontop of the piezo with a bit of thin 3M double sided foam holding the foam to the cone. The cone then sites roughly 5mm (3/16") about the top of the drum.

When I put the drum-tec mesh head onto the drum and begin tightening the foam cone seems to create a lump in the skin, I presumed the force of the skin being pulled tight would force the foam downwards and leave the skin nice a flat.

So im guessing Im either leaving too much foam cone above the drum, or I havnt got the skin tight enough yet?

Or is it just normal to have a lump in the mesh head?

Unfortunaly I cant acutally plug the drums into my module yet as Im waiting on the long reach stereo sockets arriving so I can solder the 2 piezo onto it and play away.

Any help anyone has it would be much apprechaited. I dont want to keep tightening the drum head and do damage to the mesh or anything.

Thanks

Originally posted by dougie175 View Post
    I have made my own foam cones with sanding blocks and made them cone shaped.

I have positioned the cone ontop of the piezo with a bit of thin 3M double sided foam holding the foam to the cone. The cone then sites roughly 5mm (3/16") about the top of the drum.

So im guessing Im either leaving too much foam cone above the drum, or I havnt got the skin tight enough yet?

Or is it just normal to have a lump in the mesh head?

I dont want to keep tightening the drum head and do damage to the mesh or anything.

Thanks
    Probably a combination of the above. A few observations:
    1. The sanding block foam is typically a little firmer than the Roland foam (or the supersoft Poron used by many). The Roland and Poron do not displace the head when tightened.

2. It is not "normal" to have the slight bump, but the slight deformation should not be a problem in itself. It will not hurt the mesh head, and, yes, as you tighten down the head it will push the foam down a bit more, but may not completely eliminate the deformation. I would also try lowering the cone and see how it triggers.

3. You said you used doublesided foam tape to attach the cone to the piezo? *Most* people use doublesided tape (not foam) here, but this should still work (just a thought if you start encountering triggering problems).

Good luck with it!

-- Fred
    Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

Comment

Working...
      X