Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual-zone cymbal, what piezo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addicted
    replied
    Progress!
    I've been to a recyclingstore today, where they have a lot of (mostly 2ndhand) metal, rubber, etc.
    I found myself a sheet of rubber, fairly heavy. About 2mm thick. One side is flat, the other side has ribs on it. Looks like it's perfect.
    The topside of my cymbal will be flat, I've already cut that out and also cut out the cup in order to attach it nicely (without any bumps).
    The bottomside will be glued with the flat side to the cymbal, so it has better contact. The first trials seem promising. It's fairly quiet, but due to the weight of the rubber, the cymbal does play a bit heavy.
    So when it's all glued together (with the piezo's underneath), then I will glue some mousepadrubber on the playing surface, for a better bounce and less contact noise.
    I'm planning on making some pictures this weekend, so stay tuned.

btw, in that store I also found 'rimnoise-eleminator'. Just a rubber strip of a car door. Perfect. And it only costed me about 0.40 euro (for 1.5m).

Leave a comment:

• Hellfire
    replied
    Originally posted by Addicted View Post
    I think any regular hardware shop will have it.
    I second that.

Leave a comment:

• Addicted
    replied
    I think any regular hardware shop will have it.

Leave a comment:

• bigf42
    replied
    Source for Aluminium flashing in UK

Looking at Hellfire's design and am interested in trying it out, does any one know of a source for the metal flashing in the UK

Leave a comment:

• Addicted
    replied
    After some thoughts about how to map my drumkit, I've come up with a simple design, as posted earlier.
    My dualzone ride will be built out of 2 seperate piezo's for the cup and bow, which will be connected to the 9/10 input of my module. This way I can easily adjust sensivity of the piezo's.
    My current ride-pad will be used as a china and will be connected to my floortom via the KRC.
    My CPY-10 splash, which I expect to be delivered any moment, will be connected to my hi-hatpad, also via the KRC. Since I won't use the combo's floor/china and hi-hat/splash.
    Still, thanks for all the help, you guys!
    I will post my progress soon, but next week school is priority #1.

Leave a comment:

• Addicted
    replied
    Thanks Hellfire.
    No, I haven't thought about that. I'm just new in this whole electronic world and I only knew it was possible to do A2E-cymbal conversion, using piezo's.
    But basically it's just a choke-switch? But it can also be used as a second zone, which in my case is a bell?
    The idea looks very interesting, since it can seriously improve the triggerperformance of the bell, I think.
    Do I still need a 2nd piezo for this? How does it work? I can't quite get how to build this circuit.

Leave a comment:

• Hellfire
    replied
    Yes, I have thought about that. Thing is, I want to be able to still use the extra output, as I also want to add a china-cymbal and maybe also a cowbell.
    So it looks like Keith Raper is my best friend in expanding my drums.

The progress so far:
    I've bought the stuff and just put together the KRC. It seems to be working fine, except that it won't trigger my rim sound.
    When I'm adjusting the sounds, it does recognize the rim-piezo. But when in 'playing mode' it doesn't give me rim sounds. I've tried several inputs, all have this problem.
    Looks like you are making progress. Not to beat a dead horse but have you thought of trying something like this for a dual zone cymbal?
    http://www.hellfiredrums.com/archives/67

Leave a comment:

• tomrbland
    replied
    ok thanks I didn't get the imput is a switch bit. I'm on Roland so phew my DIY will still be all ok

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Addicted
    replied
    OK, after reading the KRC-topic again, I found out the 'rim' only triggers when there's a vibration of the main piezo.
    I'm planning on mounting the two piezo's at the bottom of an old hi-hat top. My plan was to put one in the bell and the other one about halfway on the bow.
    Seems like I have to put them closer together, so the mainpiezo has to be very close to the bell.

Leave a comment:

• Addicted
    replied
    Well, as told above, the inputs on my DTXpress are piezo/switch inputs.
    This means that for example a two-zone snare doesn't have 2 piezo's, but a piezo and a switch. How exactly this works, I don't know. It has something to do with the switch interrupting the piezo's current or something like that.
    By using the KRC you can use 2 piezo's on a piezo/switch input. So basically, the second (rim) piezo functions like a switch.

Leave a comment:

• tomrbland
    replied
    I hate to be the stupid one here but Could somebody please tell me the use of this Keith Raper circuit? Is it not just the same as the Roland digram but with extra resisrots etc. What is the point in the resistors etc?

cheers

Leave a comment:

• Addicted
    replied
    Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
    Have you thought about using your extra output for your ride cymbal? That way you can try to use the two piezo set-up you already have. You would have to tweak your module settings, but it should work if you are able to assign sounds to each trigger. Just a thought.
    Yes, I have thought about that. Thing is, I want to be able to still use the extra output, as I also want to add a china-cymbal and maybe also a cowbell.
    So it looks like Keith Raper is my best friend in expanding my drums.

The progress so far:
    I've bought the stuff and just put together the KRC. It seems to be working fine, except that it won't trigger my rim sound.
    When I'm adjusting the sounds, it does recognize the rim-piezo. But when in 'playing mode' it doesn't give me rim sounds. I've tried several inputs, all have this problem.

Leave a comment:

• Hellfire
    replied
    OK, I've bought myself two piezo's (15 and 35mm) and started experimenting with them.
    My module has an extra output, which is designed for 2 single-zone pads on one stereo-cable. So when I connect the piezo's like above, it works. I do get the two sounds and my module displays them as two different pads (pad 9/10).
    But when I try this with, for example, my snarepad, I don't get the second (rim) sound. I looked it up in the manual, I've set rimtriggers on (I can set sounds for them), but the rim doesn't trigger.
    Should I connect the piezo's in another way, and if, how?
    Have you thought about using your extra output for your ride cymbal? That way you can try to use the two piezo set-up you already have. You would have to tweak your module settings, but it should work if you are able to assign sounds to each trigger. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Addicted
    replied
    Thanks very much for your help.
    So my dualzone-idea doesn't work that easily. That means I have to build something as the Keith Raper's Circuit.
    http://edrum.for.free.fr/static/pict...imDetector.jpg
    And with that, I can also make the other version of it, to connect mono pads on one input (only I have to figure out how that circuit is build :P).
    I'll keep you posted!

Leave a comment:

• Hellfire
    replied
    OK, I've bought myself two piezo's (15 and 35mm) and started experimenting with them.
    My module has an extra output, which is designed for 2 single-zone pads on one stereo-cable. So when I connect the piezo's like above, it works. I do get the two sounds and my module displays them as two different pads (pad 9/10).
    But when I try this with, for example, my snarepad, I don't get the second (rim) sound. I looked it up in the manual, I've set rimtriggers on (I can set sounds for them), but the rim doesn't trigger.
    Should I connect the piezo's in another way, and if, how?
    I'm not 100% sure (maybe a yamaha guy can confirm) but I think the yamaha module you have does dual zone as piezo/switch for the snare. If that is the case, that would explain your results. Your extra trigger out is for two piezos but your snare needs to be piezo/switch. Again I'm not 100% sure on that one. I just remember reading something to that extent. I know that on a Roland module the piezo switch is connected like this:

On the yamaha, you may need to flip the black and red wires for optimum performance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X