Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trigger foam won't stop leaning over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger foam won't stop leaning over

Hi All,

Well I am on my second DIY trigger foam column/cone using the usual built-up poron foam. The first was a column (2" tall, about 1/4" above the bearing edge). It leaned over so I replaced with a 2" tall "Devo Hat" also about 1/4" above the bearing edge. This one lasted about 1 month and has now leaned over as well.

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. I was think next to try Hellfire's method of stuffing the foam column into a rubber tube made from one of those hand exercise thingies.

Thanks,
    Dan

Try making the cones shorter...two layers 1/2 and one of 3/8 poron is the same height as a Roland cone...I have had no problem after three years on some of mine. I only go up about an 1/8 at most...usually 1/16th" is good for my triggers.
    chris :D

Comment

Like Bogie said.... Also, if you use a foam tape that is too soft that will cause the piezo to lean after time to the point where false triggering can occur because the brass will touch the platform. 3M brand white double sided tape.... 2 layers the size of the piezo ceramic works well for me between the piezo and platform. Like Bogie my cones are still nice and straight. I wish everything in my life stayed so straight
      I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
      Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks Bogie and Jman...I'll give the shorter config a shot.

Dan

Comment

Some other thoughts:

* Make sure the cone is adhered to the piezo. It can't just sit on there without adhesion.
          * Make sure the cone is centered on the peizo and not lop-sided off to one side
          * Make sure your crossbar/piezo plate/whatever is parallel to the head, which it should be if you're using the factory lugs to mount your supports to

Comment

Maybe you should look into making a cylinder or call Pintech they have the cylinders and they have an adhesive to adhere it to the mesh head to keep it from leaning or moving. Good Luck, Tom
            www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

Dan,

About how large is the surface area of the foam where it makes contact with the head?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
                Dan,

About how large is the surface area of the foam where it makes contact with the head?
                1.2mm in diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by KnipeDrums View Post
                  Maybe you should look into making a cylinder or call Pintech they have the cylinders and they have an adhesive to adhere it to the mesh head to keep it from leaning or moving. Good Luck, Tom
                  My dear friend Fredarl who DIYed my 10" classically designed Pintech toms exchanged the cylinder to a wedding cake made of soft rubber-ish foam. According to him the feel was much better. I do not know the difference but I can say they are very nice to play with.
                  Last edited by Rewind; 10-20-08, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Hey Tom,

My first design was a cylinder a-la Pintech but I didn't realize that they use an adhesive to adhere it to the mesh head. It leaned too but perhaps putting some double sided tape on the top would help keep it in place. It's funny that the foam column (cylinders) that are currently on the toms stay put and it's only on the snare but then again, the snare head is much tighty.

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. I am going to try to reduce the height and perhaps try the adhesive (double sided tape) on the top.

Thanks,
                    Dan

Comment

I don't think adhesive on the TOP of the foam would be the best work around. The head would then be pulling the foam instead of only compressing it. I'd think this would increase the potential for double-triggering, etc.

Comment

Lidrummer,

Approximately what is the size of the surface area of the foam that is making contact with the head?

I remember once tried to tape the foam tip to the head. I agree with Gastric, that's not the solution.
                        sigpic

Comment

Cheapthrill,

Approximately what is the size of the surface area of the foam that is making contact with the head?
                          So I used 4 cutouts of 1/2" thick Poron foam with the following diameters:
                          1/2" <---- Top
                          3/4"
                          1"
                          1-1/2" <---- Bottom

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by lidrummer View Post
                            Cheapthrill,

So I used 4 cutouts of 1/2" thick Poron foam with the following diameters:
                            1/2" <---- Top
                            3/4"
                            1"
                            1-1/2" <---- Bottom

Dan
                            If the Devo hats are bending over, yet the bottom piece is still fully adhered to the piezo, then that is not the problem. Are the levels of poron still adhered to each other well? If you use the adhesive-backed stuff, then they most likely are.

Dan, I believe your Devo hat tower is leaning over because it is too tall and slender. I suggest that you make a new foam piece with three levels instead of four. Try 1.5" bottom, 1" middle, and 1/2" top. Hopefully the depth of your trigger's base is adjustable, if not, there are ways to raise it.

Since I don't have an electric fillet knife, I shaped my Devo hats with a pair of scissors to make them more conical. The tip is about 7 mm wide, as I have tried to model them to the dimensions of Roland cones:

Personally speaking, I have had great success with three layers of Poron and a small foam/head contact area.
                            sigpic

Comment

Cheapthrill,

Yeah, I think the general consensus is that it is too tall. The same thing happened when it was just a 1-1/2" dia. x 2" column. I am using the adhesive backed foam and what seems to be happening is the top and sometimes the second layer are falling over while the bottom 2 layers stay adhered together and adhered to the piezo.

Unfortunately, the design is this trigger is not adjustable in height. I am in the process of obtaining the ingredients for a Beatnik-style trigger bridge which I am going to use instead on this drum so that I can adjust the height and reduce the height of the foam to 3 layers.

Thanks,
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X