Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My DIY experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DIY experience

First, i would like to thank everyone on this forum for the inspiration and for sharing their own experience in building your own e-drums!

Ok, so here it goes....

I have only beeing playing since January this year and GAS has hit me we a punch. I used to use a 10" Rolands for snare on 3 8" Rolands for the toms. There was no problem when hitting the first tom but the 2:nd and 3:td was always a hassle, i had to aim and this of course takes away the rhythm of ones playing. You should just "know" were the drums are and upon striking one should only hear the drum sound, not the rim or the frame or anything else. Now Roland 12" costs like half a arm so that was for sure not the path to go. So i started reading here and i tought, what the hell i'll give it a go.

So i purchased 2 second hand Tama toms, 10" and 12", for 30EUR. These were from the mid 80's and had a very ugly white wrap on them. Then i bough a brand new 14" Millennium tom from Thomann for 40EUR. Next i pealed the wrap away from the toms, cut them to a 4" depth, painted the inner side black and put on a purple spark wrap on them. My daughter wanted them to be that color.

Next i ordered the so called e-bridges from UFO drums and mounted these.

Now it was time to test and sure the UFO triggers are very very sensitive. Even if turned sensitivity settings all the way down on my Megadrum, i still had problems with double triggering and dynamics. So now i have a 8k ohm resistor in series with the piezo and things are much better. I still get a sens. value of 900 in Megadrum out of 1023 so i will try even larger resistors. This cleared a lot of issues, so if anyone is having problems with UFO cones or triggers please try to put that resistor in there.

Well, enough rambling here are some pictures...

Thanks,

Kari

Attached Files
    MegaDrum trigger to midi x 1,
    BFD 2,
    13" DIY snare,10", 12" and 14" DIY toms,
    VH-11 Hi-Hat x 1, Pearl RH-2000 Remote Hi-Hat,
    Hart ECII-12HHB Hi-Hat x 1,
    CY-12R/C Dual-Trigger Cymbal Pad x 1, CY-14C V-Cymbal Crash x 1,
    Hart ECII-16RB Ride x 1,
    13" and 14" Kit-Toys china,
    10" Kit-Toys splash,
    KD-8 Kick Trigger Pad x 1,
    Trick Pro1-V double bass pedal,
    MDS-6C Drum Stand x 1
    sigpic
    And ppl remember listen to Strapping Young Lad!

Very nice indeed, thanks for sharing!
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Looks great! I like the black on purple. Do you have anymore plans for some other diy projects?
      alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Please share more about your MegaDrum experience.

Comment

My UFO e-bridge triggers are super sensitive also. I was thinking it might've been the foam cone that he uses and that it was just too stiff. Do you put a resistor in-line with the piezo and that fixed things?

I may have to try that.

Gear: TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

how do you like the kit toys cymbals?

Comment

Looks Good!
              TD-12

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
                Looks great! I like the black on purple. Do you have anymore plans for some other diy projects?
                Thank you! I actually have 8 inches left from the 14" toms, so i'm going to build a bass out of it. I already have all parts, just need to find some time. I have still not figured out the best way to lift the whole thing up so the beater would stricke the right spot so to say.

Originally posted by Gastric View Post
                Please share more about your MegaDrum experience.
                I have nothing but good things to share about Megadrum. I bought the PCB and microchips from Synthex at the Megadrum forum and the rest of the parts from Elfa. All problems i have had with it is my own fault. Wires connected the wrong way, bad soldering etc. It took a while to figure out all the parameters and what they do, but i feel very comfortable right now.

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
                My UFO e-bridge triggers are super sensitive also. I was thinking it might've been the foam cone that he uses and that it was just too stiff. Do you put a resistor in-line with the piezo and that fixed things?
                I may have to try that.
                I have only had the resistor there for 1 evening, but so far things have improved a lot. Double triggering and crosstalk is non existant on the 10" and 12". I still have some double triggering issues with the 14". But looking at the Megadrum, the output from the piezos are still too hot so i'm going to try a 15k ohm resistor tonight. I would suggest that you'd experiment with ranges between 1k and 20k. Yes i just connected it inline. You could also try with a voltage divider, maybe a 20k ohm pot?

Originally posted by ratindahat View Post
                how do you like the kit toys cymbals?
                So faar so good. Does the job. Maybe they are a little too light if compared to a real one.

Thanks,

Kari
                MegaDrum trigger to midi x 1,
                BFD 2,
                13" DIY snare,10", 12" and 14" DIY toms,
                VH-11 Hi-Hat x 1, Pearl RH-2000 Remote Hi-Hat,
                Hart ECII-12HHB Hi-Hat x 1,
                CY-12R/C Dual-Trigger Cymbal Pad x 1, CY-14C V-Cymbal Crash x 1,
                Hart ECII-16RB Ride x 1,
                13" and 14" Kit-Toys china,
                10" Kit-Toys splash,
                KD-8 Kick Trigger Pad x 1,
                Trick Pro1-V double bass pedal,
                MDS-6C Drum Stand x 1
                sigpic
                And ppl remember listen to Strapping Young Lad!

Comment

Working...
                X