Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest Rack Clamp ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest Rack Clamp ever.

This is a V-drums rack with half a tom with an acoustic rack mount. I sawed of a pipe I found in a dumpster, and bought four adjustable hose rings. Choose the ring diameter of your own specifications. One of each size was sufficient, but with two of each it's rock solid. Imagine my surprise. Never thought this would work.

Clamps are expensive in Norway, reaching up to $50 each. It should work with the thinner L rod pipes too. Just buy a long screw with a nut and a smaller adjustable ring. Use rubber in between if you like the finish on you rack pipes.

"Want me to clamp him Boss?!"
    - Clamps, Futurama

//Rewind
    Attached Files

i cant say its pretty but hey! it works

Comment

Originally posted by Rewind View Post

"Want me to clamp him Boss?!"
      - Clamps, Futurama
      haha...I love the reference!

Now that is a cheap alternative! Do you have any crosstalk issues with this?

(one more thing...you might want to add some "brightness" to your pics in the future, they are very dark.)
      sigpic

Comment

"What estetics?"

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
        haha...I love the reference!

Now that is a cheap alternative! Do you have any crosstalk issues with this?

(one more thing...you might want to add some "brightness" to your pics in the future, they are very dark.)
        I haven't really gotten my piezos and pintech drums from Fred yet, so I don't know. You know him from the forum.

It is dark because I like to work on my drums at night. I hate the flash, ruins the esthetics of the drumset, but it is there in some photos.

"What esthetics?", as Barack Obama would say to McCain if he commented on my clamps like he did on the American "Sound economy."

Comment

Nope! I have now begun testing them and there is no crosstalk from each other. I use one ring of each on one tom, which makes it wobble a little more up and down when playing, than when use two of each rings.

I do have crosstalk between rimshots and head piezo, but that is an unrelated issue, more due to isolation inside the tom.

---------

Edit: If I have cymbal clamp really close to on of them and hit it really hard, then maybe.

Edit again: It works well with normal v-drum rack drums too. Just use a thinner rod, like a 4 inch long screw and smaller O-rings. Again, use two of each and car cooler hose rubber around the rack to protect it.
          Last edited by Rewind; 10-08-08, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X