Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affordable DIY Rack and Mounts - PART 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable DIY Rack and Mounts - PART 1

Here is my first part of three on an affordable DIY set. Let me know what you think. I had to do it in two files so that I could upload it to this website. If you don't have a .pdf reader you can download "Adobe Reader" for free. Just Google it.

Jman 31
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jman 31; 08-29-08, 09:57 AM.
    sigpic JerEd Systems, LED drum triggers

Nice job, jman31. I was just at Lowe's yesterday looking at the light duty fence posts for a home-only practice kit. Cool design!

Comment

Damn.. you beat me too it. This is exactly what I was going with for mine. PVC + the cinch/claps for full adjustability.

Comment

I sanded out the inside of all of the 'moving' T couplers for them to slide along the PVC (1.25"). I'm using the cinchs like you demonstrated in your PDF, and I'm using PVC/conduit hangers for mounting the pads/cymbals - basically the same thing as the PVC cinch, but has a spot for bolting something on. All the metal pieces are stainless steel so very durable, and the PVC is rigid so keeps the right feel.

Haven't finished assembling it yet, but the entire thing has been put together/tested for fit. The lower horiz bar hasn't been shaped yet and is just resting at the bottom. It'll eventually be raised about 18-20".
        Attached Files
        Last edited by pbassjams; 08-30-08, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Looks good man! I like the complete adjustability and function of the design. My band played our first gig with my other set last night and they worked awesome. My drummer loves them. We just loosened one of the hoseclamps and folded them slightly and stuck the whole set in the back of my truck. Easiest drum tear down I've ever done.

I used the metal pipe because I felt like it gives a more rigid feel, and it's very light weight. Please post up some pics of yours when you've got it finished. I am curious about your mounting idea. I guess I really didn't show very well how my mount works. I will post up a pic of it when I get a chance.
          Attached Files

Comment

Great idea and craftsmanship.
            Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by jman 31 View Post
              Here is my first part of three on an affordable DIY set. Let me know what you think. I had to do it in two files so that I could upload it to this website. If you don't have a .pdf reader you can download "Adobe Reader" for free. Just Google it.

Jman 31
              These pdf's look great. I love the way the rack looks. Have you though about painting the PCV black. I think if you did that, I don't think people would notice at first glance that it's PVC. Great work! I look forward to the rest of the Jman 31 pdf guide series.
              alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
                These pdf's look great. I love the way the rack looks. Have you though about painting the PCV black. I think if you did that, I don't think people would notice at first glance that it's PVC. Great work! I look forward to the rest of the Jman 31 pdf guide series.
                Yeah man I have thought about painting them either black or gray. I'm just lazy. I am not the drummer in my band so I'm not to concerned about how it looks. lol On the first set I did I kinda like the pipe and fitting look, but I agree it would look much better painted. I'm an idea man, I have trouble following through with the decorations!

Comment

Jman-
                  I was looking around for a way to connect vertical bars with a "T" when I came upon this thread. Thanks for sharing the PVC idea! I think I'm going to do the same!

I'm having trouble figuring out what the eyebolts are for. How exactly do you mount your toms? Do you use the existing hole in your acoustic drum shell? If so, and if you cut acoustic drums in half to make two drums, how do you mount the second drum?

Comment

Originally posted by Thurston View Post
                    Jman-
                    I was looking around for a way to connect vertical bars with a "T" when I came upon this thread. Thanks for sharing the PVC idea! I think I'm going to do the same!

I'm having trouble figuring out what the eyebolts are for. How exactly do you mount your toms? Do you use the existing hole in your acoustic drum shell? If so, and if you cut acoustic drums in half to make two drums, how do you mount the second drum?
                    The eyebolts line up with the hole in the side of the T. When you stick the mounting bar through the hole it also passes through the eyebolt. Then when you tighten the nut on the end of the eyebolt it tightens down on the shaft.

Sort of like this only on the end through the cap. The pressure actually pulls the cap tighter:
                    http://edrum.for.free.fr/static/pict...ipetrigger.gif

Here's how I used the same technique to hang the toms:
                    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...3&d=1217876412
                    Last edited by jman 31; 02-10-09, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Very innovative. I stopped by a hardware store today and they carry rigid conduit. They don't have 1 3/8 but they had 1 1/2" so I may go that route if I can't find fence post locally. The 1 1/2"conduit was galv steel in 10' lengths for 20 USD

Comment

Originally posted by Thurston View Post
                        Very innovative. I stopped by a hardware store today and they carry rigid conduit. They don't have 1 3/8 but they had 1 1/2" so I may go that route if I can't find fence post locally. The 1 1/2"conduit was galv steel in 10' lengths for 20 USD
                        You might check, my first rack was made with 1 - 1/4" PVC fittings that mated up very well with the 1-5/8" fence posts. They may work with the 1-1/2" conduit.

Comment

I believe the conduit is measured by inside diameter instead of outside, so you have to buy 1 1/4" conduit to get a 1 1/2" outside diameter. You may want to measure the pipe to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X