Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edge triggering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge triggering

Hopefully the term is good enough for what i'm curious about.

I saw a picture of JManWord's kick trigger. he has an L bracket, piezo, and foam cone. no crossbar etc. Now i'm wondering if anyone has tried doing the same thing on the other drums. I know positional sensing wouldn't work, but i'm curious how it would perform? Any opinions?

thanks,
    -Dusty-

and just to clarify, i'm not talking about triggering the rim.

Comment

On the kick the beater strikes the head in a constant location so you do not need an even trigger response...on a snare/tom you would notice an uneven response with the trigger so close to one side...just my opinion
      chris :D

Comment

well the comercial kits (ddrum-Trigger-Kit) are like that...

(thinking aloud here)

Trigger location like this would help with the Kit I'm planning on building, Having a crossbeam seems very unappealing to me for some reason...

Could it be remedied with multiple piezo's somehow? to avoid getting too uneven of a response....
        -[K]

Comment

i was wondering the same thing. I had the ddrum triggers in mind when i thought about it. Guess i might just have to try it out and see,

Comment

Obviously it works since Roland, DDrum and Perfect Trigger all do it that way with their add-on triggers. I would assume you get a better and more even response doing it in the middle, but many have used those triggers with great success.
            sigpic

Comment

There's other posts about this. Supposedly the only thing you lose is positional sensing, if you even have a module that supports it. And obviously your bass drum doesn't have PD anyway so it's definitely an appropriate method for that trigger.

Comment

maybe i'll go buy a bracket and play with my snare to see how it works. I have an Alesis Trigger I/O so i don't think i'm worried about the PS.

Comment

I use the crossbar design, and recently moved my snare's sensor assembly from it's original position on the center of the bar to about 1/4 of the distance from the edge closest to me when sitting at the kit. I was getting weird triggering when I struck the head in the middle (I guess this would be hot spotting) and now the overall playing sound is much more even. That being said, I use a TD-3 module that doesn't have positional sensing, so I'd guess you'd have to do some trial & error tweaking if positional sensing is an issue.
                  Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Working...
                  X