Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for Damping and acoustic foams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Damping and acoustic foams

I'm a new member and enjoying reading through the wealth of info on the site. I'm looking to purchase my first edrum set, or maybe even DIY it.

I figured I'd share a link to a source for acoustic and damping foams that I've used in car audio for some time. They have different sized rolls and thicknesses of many great foam compositions, one of the best I've found is the neoprene. Its an excellent decoupling and dampening material.
    Anyways, here is the link...hope it is useful to some of you fellas
    Oh, and the best part is they are relatively cheap

http://www.thefoamfactory.com

On a side note, living in an apartment I've found that putting a layer of neoprene under my tower speakers and sub (I also use Alesis Monitor Two's) really helps to decouple the speaker cabinets and stands from the floor. IE- It doesn't transfer vibration and helps to reduce sound penetration to the neighbors below, which is always a good thing.

I couldn't resist...

Welcome!
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Thanks Sabre

Comment

That looks like a great link Captain... and good tips with the Neoprene too.

....and, of course, welcome aboard

Comment

Very good tips indeed. What thickness would you recommend as i know a lot of people are having trouble that the bass "thumping" travels trough walls?

And of course, welcome!

/Kari
          MegaDrum trigger to midi x 1,
          BFD 2,
          13" DIY snare,10", 12" and 14" DIY toms,
          VH-11 Hi-Hat x 1, Pearl RH-2000 Remote Hi-Hat,
          Hart ECII-12HHB Hi-Hat x 1,
          CY-12R/C Dual-Trigger Cymbal Pad x 1, CY-14C V-Cymbal Crash x 1,
          Hart ECII-16RB Ride x 1,
          13" and 14" Kit-Toys china,
          10" Kit-Toys splash,
          KD-8 Kick Trigger Pad x 1,
          Trick Pro1-V double bass pedal,
          MDS-6C Drum Stand x 1
          sigpic
          And ppl remember listen to Strapping Young Lad!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys (and gals).
            As for dampening for walls, I'd definitely try to get a 2 part barrier for that. Something with some mass to cover the wall with (the more dense it is the better), and then some acoustic foam to help break up sound wave reflection. Once you start getting into the thick (1/2" and up) neoprene and other closed cell foams, they can start to get expensive so maybe some substitutes can be found. You can sometimes find cheap cork rolls at hardware stores...maybe even online. That would also be a great sound/vibration barrier for floors/walls.

The stuff I used on the floor was 3/8" neoprene. I also used some 1/8" Volara to make a sort of sandwich layer. Really helps quelch the vibration you'll get in the floor.

Comment

Working...
            X