Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working on a New E-Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on a New E-Kit

Hello, Friends!

I have begun work on my first complete e-kit. The idea here is to re-claim the 2/3 of the guest room that my current kit occupies, and put in something light, portable and "clean," in both design and looks.

The "clean" inspiration comes from a youtube artist I've seen, who goes by DrumDror3000. I very much admire his set-up, although his is much more massive then mine will be.

I currently have enough ready-made Remo pad conversions to get a basic kit up and running in short order, but in that I have a good deal of left-over maple stock from a kitchen remodel, I expect to replace the pads one by one with stained maple pads of a design similar to DrumDror's.

I also like the idea of triggering my "brass" via mounting piezos on dedicated arms of the rack, and I will be experimenting with that as well. I have two brains that I will run with, if anything, just to achieve greater polyphony. I have figuered out how to use my wife's digital camara, so I can document whatever-the-heck-it-is I think I'm doing!

I'll be posting up lots of pics, so you all can see the Creature as it comes to life!

So, with that in mind, what you see here is the first version of my copper rack. I went with 1" copper tubing, as it seemed to have less give than standard pvc piping, and also because I think it will look cool shined up. I have chosen to center my snare on the kit, so as a reference between front and back, look at the horizontal pipe with the 30 degree elbow in it as the "front."

Immediately after I post this, it's off to the hardware store for more pipe and fittings, as I want another cymbal "stand" off to the right, and I want to be able to mount more percussion triggers and the brains to either the immediate right or left.

I'll throw up some more pics tonight!

John
    Attached Files
    Disclaimer: The above was posted by a complete looney, and does not represent the opinion of the Management. Use at your own risk.

Originally posted by Daddy-O View Post
    Hello, Friends!

I have begun work on my first complete e-kit. The idea here is to re-claim the 2/3 of the guest room that my current kit occupies, and put in something light, portable and "clean," in both design and looks.

The "clean" inspiration comes from a youtube artist I've seen, who goes by DrumDror3000. I very much admire his set-up, although his is much more massive then mine will be.

I currently have enough ready-made Remo pad conversions to get a basic kit up and running in short order, but in that I have a good deal of left-over maple stock from a kitchen remodel, I expect to replace the pads one by one with stained maple pads of a design similar to DrumDror's.

I also like the idea of triggering my "brass" via mounting piezos on dedicated arms of the rack, and I will be experimenting with that as well. I have two brains that I will run with, if anything, just to achieve greater polyphony. I have figuered out how to use my wife's digital camara, so I can document whatever-the-heck-it-is I think I'm doing!

I'll be posting up lots of pics, so you all can see the Creature as it comes to life!

So, with that in mind, what you see here is the first version of my copper rack. I went with 1" copper tubing, as it seemed to have less give than standard pvc piping, and also because I think it will look cool shined up. I have chosen to center my snare on the kit, so as a reference between front and back, look at the horizontal pipe with the 30 degree elbow in it as the "front."

Immediately after I post this, it's off to the hardware store for more pipe and fittings, as I want another cymbal "stand" off to the right, and I want to be able to mount more percussion triggers and the brains to either the immediate right or left.

I'll throw up some more pics tonight!

John
    I like the rack you got there. I checked out DrumDror3000 youtube video. I like his DIY rubber pads. I also like how they are shock mounted with the foam. I think using the Remo pad conversions is a good start. You might want to try different kinds of foam in those Remo's to see what give you the best feel. I would go with a low density foam under the reflection plate and a high density above the reflection plate. This should give you the best feel for those type of drums. I look forward to seeing more pics. Good luck!
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

OK--so I promised pics "tonight," and even though it after 2 am I suppose we can call this "tonight!"

I finished my copper drum rack, and it has a bit of a shine on it as well as some Remo pad conversions. I had a bit of difficulty with the glue (I didn't want to solder this thing), in that the first type I used, known as "Goop," had no effect at all on copper tubing. So I ran back to the hardware store and came across some copper glue. This is serious stuff---it's an epoxy that gives you only about 5 minutes of working time, and it permanently sets in 20.

Anyway, the rack is done. Now, the Remo pads are just temporary--I can use them while I build my "real" pads. Anyway, here are the pics---hope you like them!
      Attached Files
      Disclaimer: The above was posted by a complete looney, and does not represent the opinion of the Management. Use at your own risk.

Comment

...and the final two pics I took tonight....
        Attached Files

Comment

You know were are gonna wanna see a youtube video soon!

Comment

Well, things went along smoothly, and I was able to spend most of my weekend putting together my kit. I have included a few photos, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. A couple of points of interest would be my obsessive-compulsive wire looming, and my kick pedal, which looks like it's been wired up with a pipe bomb!

I will be wiring up another pedal in the same manner for playing double bass. I play open-handed, with the hi-hat on the right, so that's why things may seem a bit odd to other players. As soon as I do some more research and come up with a plan, I'll be adding a remote hi-hat pedal, using a pot to "open" and "close" the hat.

I still have room on the rack for other percussion, and also soon to come will be another crash, a splash, and a china, with an extra pad or two available for additional sounds. I also have an extra cowbell about the house somewhere, so one of those will become an "e-cowbell."

By then, the kit will be "done" in terms of having a nicely equiped kit to play on while I work on the other mods I've discussed. As things change, I'll put up pics as well!

As was my intention, the whole kit can be picked up and moved anywhere there's a wall socket--I don't have to take any of it apart. I will stay true to that as I move along. Right now the whole thing weighs less than 20 lbs.
            Attached Files

Comment

That's a neat and creative build Daddy-O. Love the pipe bomb kick!!
              Great to see your CD triggers still featuring here too

Comment

Your "pipebomb" kick trigger closely resembles a pintech kick trigger I purchased years ago! (K-3 Ergokik, I think)

And seeing the copper tubing gives me visions of a "steampunk" styled kit. (Google if you don't know what I'm talking about; I barely know what steampunk refers to myself, so pardon me if I'm using it wrong.)

Thanks for the pics!

Comment

Hi, SP--yes, those ridiculous little CD triggers are really working quite well with my Alesis DM5. I have them mounted to the rack with rubber grommets, and I've stuffed high density foam under the CD's themselves for good measure. I find that the surface feels nice and reactive under my sticks, and the piezo zaps across very nicely, being cemented to the underside of the CD's.

Steampunk? I've seen it, but never known what it was called! Thanks, Steve! I love it when a whole new world opens up!

Comment

Working...
                  X