Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a regular drum head (muffled)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a regular drum head (muffled)

if noise isn't an issue, couldn't I muffle a regular head and put that on my ekit?

Originally posted by moja music View Post
    if noise isn't an issue, couldn't I muffle a regular head and put that on my ekit?
    I guess it depends on the type of drums you have. I don't know how a Roland mesh head trigger would work with a standard head. If you are using an A to E DIY type kit, yes it should work just fine. As a matter of fact a lot of the first edrums used standard drum heads with foam under them. (aka Tama Techstars)
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Yeah I have a DIY. I'm gonna give it a try.

Comment

moja,

My A-to-E kick uses two (highly muffled) regular heads and ironically, it has the best triggering in my kit despite the others using mesh heads. Go figure.

Dan

Comment

I had to use a mylar head as an emergency replacement for a drum once where the mesh head failed. It wasn't overly loud, but it wasn't muffled either. One things for sure, the standard head will last 10 times longer!

Comment

Originally posted by alexvh_fan View Post
            I had to use a mylar head as an emergency replacement for a drum once where the mesh head failed. It wasn't overly loud, but it wasn't muffled either. One things for sure, the standard head will last 10 times longer!
            The failure rate of a mesh head is dependent on which brand you use. If you use Pearl mesh (or a DIY standard fiberglass glass screen mesh) then yes it will not last long. If you use a Hart or Roland head, it will last as long or longer than a standard drum head. Of course a Hart or Roland head is 10x more expansive than a Pearl mesh head.
            alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Originally posted by lidrummer View Post
              My A-to-E kick uses two (highly muffled) regular heads and ironically, it has the best triggering in my kit despite the others using mesh heads. Go figure.

Dan
              Dan, could you provide some more details (and maybe some pictures ) about the muffling that you use?

Thanks,
              --Bob

Comment

Bob,

Dan, could you provide some more details (and maybe some pictures ) about the muffling that you use?

Thanks,
                --Bob
                All of my drums are built according to this thread: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40653. The kick drum uses acoustic heads while the snare and toms use acoustic bottom heads and mesh top heads.

Dan

Comment

Thanks, Dan. Very cool. I wish I had time to DIY like that.

Comment

Working...
                  X