Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY for Alesis Trigger IO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY for Alesis Trigger IO

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it's directly related to my WIP DIY so I'm posting here.

Anyone using the Alesis IO?

Specs state it has 10 dual zone trigger inputs, which effectively gives you 20 single zone trigger inputs (assuming rewiring a TRS cable into 2 separate TS ends per input).

I have a couple drums I'm working on that only need a single zone. My overall trigger count will be well over the 10 physical jacks on the unit, so my goal is to rewire 2 separate single zone drums to share 1 dual zone input.

Has anyone else attempted this (either with the Alesis or anything else)? While the ref manual doesn't specifically outline this method, nothing in the programming of the unit suggests this isn't doable.

Originally posted by pbassjams View Post
    Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it's directly related to my WIP DIY so I'm posting here.

Anyone using the Alesis IO?

Specs state it has 10 dual zone trigger inputs, which effectively gives you 20 single zone trigger inputs (assuming rewiring a TRS cable into 2 separate TS ends per input).

I have a couple drums I'm working on that only need a single zone. My overall trigger count will be well over the 10 physical jacks on the unit, so my goal is to rewire 2 separate single zone drums to share 1 dual zone input.

Has anyone else attempted this (either with the Alesis or anything else)? While the ref manual doesn't specifically outline this method, nothing in the programming of the unit suggests this isn't doable.
    This is done quite often. You will need a stereo "Left" "Right" splitter cable. You can make one or buy one.
    Here is a link to one at Musician's Friend.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ble?sku=331081
    Other music stores carry them as well.
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Just like Hellfire said. Works perfectly. I split my kick input since that's obviously wasting a channel. I used the second channel for a Hellfire cymbal choke switch. Go Hellfire!

Comment

I've split all my inputs as well.. Works great. Input #4 is a little wacky. the folks at Alesis think that the #4 input for the Ride cymbal must be of dual Piezo/switch configuration, you cannot edit the switch type for that input, and that input only. All others can be P/P, P/S, S/S or S/P (P= piezo, S= Switch). Other than that splitting is great. I use simple Hosa ring / tip (stereo) splitters - that look extremely similar to the picture above!
        Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX. Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.
        sigpichttp://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=353

Comment

Thanks all! I'm planning to pick one up tomorrow at the local GC.

Comment

Originally posted by pbassjams View Post
            Thanks all! I'm planning to pick one up tomorrow at the local GC.
            I bought 10. Why? Cuz the IO has 10 inputs.. lol..
            Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX. Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.
            sigpichttp://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=353

Comment

Working...
            X