Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My DIY kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DIY kit

I took me about 7 months to complete. The drum pads were cut from MDF fiberboard with a router, the drum heads are mesh fiberglass window screen
    material and the cymbals were cut from sheets of acrylic. I had all the wiring running from the drum brains to the pads through the 5' circle base I made
    for previous sets, but now I just have all the cables running along the drum frame (all custom made) since I moved my drum brains over to the left side
    of the kit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MTClaymore; 08-09-08, 12:09 AM. Reason: Added photo

Oh, that's just KOOL!!

I've already been considering a "rims only" type kit, and you've just provided the motivation to do it! Nice job! The blue trim--is that actually drum wrap material, or did you stumble on something else cool?

Gratz!
    Disclaimer: The above was posted by a complete looney, and does not represent the opinion of the Management. Use at your own risk.

Comment

One hell of an imagination! Awsome job!!

Comment

I nominate you for the most impressive looking truly DIY kit in months!

Comment

MTC,

That is a very unique looking kit, from the cymbals right down to the platform. Good job!

What did you make the cymbal bells out of?
          sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else here. That is one VERY cool looking kit
            Looking forward to reading more about your build.

....and welcome aboard

Comment

That is just as cool as it comes! I love to see DIY's like yours. Way different, and a cut above. Do you have any construction pictures? Maybe we need to start doing a DIY kit of the month. This one would get my vote!
              alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Impressive. What kind of platform is your kit on?

Comment

My DIY kit

Thanks for all your nice comments.

The bells of the cymbals are made out of stainless steel kitchen ladels!

I cut the handle off and make notches all on the egde of the ladle's and then
                  bent up the material creating a lip around the whole perimeter.

The black plastic rings on the top and bottom of the cymbal surrounding the
                  "bell" hold it in place.

I just drilled a 1/2" hole in the middle of the bell. I'm using the aquarian
                  cymbal spring thingys on this new build, but the cymbal can pivot like real
                  cymbals on a regular stand as well.

------------------------------------

I brought a full sheet of blue onyx finish from a drum wrap company out of New Jersey and cut it myself into the strips.

I'll upload some of my "under construction" pictures in awhile.

Thanks

Matt
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'm personally always interested in the actual cost of pure DIY kits such as this. Kitchen ladles included. Obviously you can't put a solid price on your time. If you're interested in sharing you can PM me or post here.

Comment

My DIY kit - drum platform

Eric B - the 5 ft circle drum platform is just made out of 2 layers (4 sheets) of 3/4" plywood criss-crossed and cut out with a router and a homemade circle
                      cutting jig. I made it about 8 years ago with my 2nd DIY build and
                      have continued with it since. On a previous build, all the wiring was running
                      "through" the base and up and into the drum frame. But that was when
                      I had the drum brains on my right. When I moved the drum brains to the left
                      side of the kit, I wasn't able to use the old wiring.

It's heavy as ***, but you can turn it on the edge and "roll it". So it's
                      actually easy to move around if needed.

I just covered the top with some rubber tiles I found at a Home Depot.

Thanks man
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MTClaymore View Post
                        Eric B - the 5 ft circle drum platform is just made out of 2 layers (4 sheets) of 3/4" plywood criss-crossed and cut out with a router and a homemade circle
                        cutting jig. I made it about 8 years ago with my 2nd DIY build and
                        have continued with it since. On a previous build, all the wiring was running
                        "through" the base and up and into the drum frame. But that was when
                        I had the drum brains on my right. When I moved the drum brains to the left
                        side of the kit, I wasn't able to use the old wiring.

It's heavy as ***, but you can turn it on the edge and "roll it". So it's
                        actually easy to move around if needed.

I just covered the top with some rubber tiles I found at a Home Depot.

Thanks man
                        Are you using black iron pipe for your drum rack or at least the fittings? How often do you have to move that set-up? I'm just curious because it looks heavy.
                        alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Welcome to the forum MTC...
                          Brilliant ideas and great execution...do you gig with it? A very nice Rollin' Kit
                          chris :D

Comment

Really nice kit! Impressive. Congrats!

Stijn
                            'lectric drumma
                            Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

My DIY kit - frame details

Hellfire

The rack is made of electrical conduit, bent with a (what else) conduit bender. So it's actually very light.
                              It's 1 1/2" diameter pipe. All the connectors are regular old plumbing tees and
                              elbows. If you grind off the threads of the fittings of a 1 1/2" plumbing fitting - they slide right over the conduit nicely.

I just drilled some holes and tapped some threads to lock the connectors
                              in place. Fully adjustable and won't move when locked in place.

------------------------------

I have not gigged with this kit. It's just a in home practice set that pretty
                              much takes up a whole room.

Matt
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X