Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a Rack for for acoustic conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Rack for for acoustic conversion.

I currently have a dd505 which I am slowly but surley upgrading. For the drums I will be purchasing 1x10" tom 1x12" and 1x13" cutting them in half which will become my toms, snare and bass drum.

Cymbals will be Prastice cymbals with piezos and chokes installed.

The issue is. I want to upgrade everything to allow me to sell the DD505 as a whole and recoupe some money, but the rack for the dd505 is very good and I would like to replicate something along the same sort of lines.

Just wondered If someone could point me in the right direction of where to find everything in the UK and whats sort of money I can build one for. I want this kit to look as nice as possible but Im wanting to keep costs also as low as possible.

Thanks Robb

TD-12 VEX TMC-6 A2E kit 16 pieces and growing and a cursed left handed child of the devil.

Comment

Comment

Take a look at the rack I built out of 1-1/4" PVC fittings and 1-5/8" light duty chain link fence posts. http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42260
        Its fully and easily adjustable and didn't cost much to build. It could be sprayed black and would probably look a lot better, but I got lazy.
        sigpic JerEd Systems, LED drum triggers

Comment

Originally posted by jman 31 View Post
          Take a look at the rack I built out of 1-1/4" PVC fittings and 1-5/8" light duty chain link fence posts. http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42260
          Its fully and easily adjustable and didn't cost much to build. It could be sprayed black and would probably look a lot better, but I got lazy.

Comment

Wow, those fittings are only $1.49 usd where I got them. I understand your problem.
            sigpic JerEd Systems, LED drum triggers

Comment

Originally posted by jman 31 View Post
              Wow, those fittings are only $1.49 usd where I got them. I understand your problem.

Comment

Just to let you know, those low level acoustic kits (GP and SP come to mind) have hardware that gets you about what you paid for. The tom mounts are crap, so I would look to getting higher end hardware that may fit them (I'm still shopping for hardware that fits these sets that isn't crud). My latest idea is basically throwing all of my toms (I have a 10, 12, 13, 14, and 16) onto a double tom / cymbal rack (the 10/12) and the 13 onto a snare stand.

So if you are looking into getting a cheapo set just for hardware... look elsewhere. It is a great way to convert, just plan on using something that would last a little longer than the cheap cheap hardware that goes with them.

Comment

http://www.s-m-i-l-e.co.uk/RackAlmostFinished.JPG

This is a picture from a while ago before the kit was finished, to give you an idea of the way I went about making it... notice the leg 90 degree clamps I made from MDF and bolts heh, and the 45 degree PVC clamps I made with Jubliee clips ^_^

The kit has been in use now for about 6 months like this, and it's been absolutely rock solid - I really need to do a write up on my build actually, im sure I had some interesting ideas... like my drum piezo platform ^_^

http://www.s-m-i-l-e.co.uk/FromTheThrone.JPG
                  7 Piece A to E Kit conversion - TD6&TD7 Linked,
                  7 Piece Taye Studiomaple + Zildjian & Wuhan :)

http://www.myspace.com/0011101000101001code

Comment

Cheers for that Smile, aerial masts are a bargain and ideal by the looks of thing are its finally a material that is available in the UK! Im still unsure which way to go as Ive seen some amazing conversion of acoustic kits which really do look brilliant. Once the wires were hidden I would doubt your average joe would be able to tell its not an acoustic kit when your playing one. The only thing thats stopping me going yeah ill do a proper acoustic conversion, is the space they use up, in a 1 bedroom flat space is quite limited and the fact that they are not as convenitent to move about like a kit on a frame like yours is.

Also yeah your platforms for your Piezos look very swish, they look alot of work though to be fair hehe. Would be good to see your kit 1 day in the flesh to help me out and understand everything If you didnt mind, Im in Manchester tonight actually at night and day (I think its called?) for a gig, lol not that im intending to come and perv over your kit tonight!
                    Last edited by dougie175; 08-09-08, 12:18 PM.

Comment

No worries, my kit is currently out of action whilst I rebuild my kitchen ( it's surrounded by kitchen cabinets and junk lol ) and as I've been using my acoustic kit in a rehearsal room - its been neglected the last few weeks - but once I finish my kitchen - feel free to pop over!

And yeah... the piezo platforms were overly complicated heh, although I was building the entire kit for as little as I possibly could - I have a lot of MDF spare, I dont have much money and Metal brackets are expensive for what they are heh, so I came up with that which works wonderfully - plus, I didnt really want to build the typical t-bar assembly despite its proven method. It also works fantastically for the snare which has a rim trigger right in the middle under the platform, so it picks up rim shots from 360degrees.

One thing im struggling with atm is finding a rubber striking surface for my acoustic cymbal conversions - they play very well and react fantastically - but the 'tap' on dampened metal is annoying for the girlfriend whilst I jam away to Rush - YYZ with my headphones on

Comment

Gum rubber is the long term top surface that was recommended to me. Note it's usually expensive and a cream color. It'd probably look OK on an acoustic but would look silly on top of a black practice cymbal. The cheap way to go is usually neoprene like mouse-mat material. Then silicone it on.

Reports are it kills stick action, kills trigger sensitivity, and overall sucks. But totally eliminates stick noise. Lots of cons for that one pro. Going to post 2 sheets of it in the Classifieds right now.

Comment

Cheers smile, must admit although your piezo mounts are very complicated they have got me thinking about possibly working along the same lines, mainly just because it looks so much better looking through the mesh head to that rather than a bar.

Ive been looking for a suitable material for cymbals preferably clear than I can cover real cymbals with, mainly for the appearance but we dont appear to have anything in this country! I have found a few clear spray on plastics but apparantly they just begin to crack and fall off over time with the vibrations.

Tricky one, If you do find anything though let me know would you as Id far prefer to cover real cymbals that use plastic practice cymbals.

Also how do you find the Z-ED mesh heads bud? Think they are the one of the only white mesh heads available to the UK. Im also trying to find a suitable material for DIY mesh heads but again nothing seems to be available to the UK.

Only thing I have found is the sun screens you get for in cars for kids but the price of them would work out more than buying some Z-ED heads.

Thanks.

Comment

The Z-ED heads i've found to be surprisingly good! I've got a spare PD-80 with a white Roland mesh head, now this one has 2 layers, which makes it much less transparent but they really feel the same and the z-ed's are actually a lot quieter! Durability hasnt really been an issue either, I even dropped some solder on my snare head by accident so it has a lovely little hole which hasnt expanded (thankfully) ... certainly for the price they can't be beaten imo.

With regards to cymbals, I just used a load of old acoustic cymbals I had, just some of the ones ive upgraded from years ago, and I polished them up with some brasso heh - came up great! To dampen them, I've used flashing tape from B&Q again, its like that thick faux-lead stuff they use on roofs to make it water tight, but they've also used it in cars for years as an alternative to Dynamat... so its thick and deadening - exactly what I needed heh - the entire cymbal is covered on the underside. Then i've double side taped the piezo to the underside, and epoxied a terminal block to the flashing tape to connect the cables together... its NOT a good design but it works - and only occasionally needs repairs. Like I said - im still looking for something on the top - i've got some pintech cymbals spare which im desperately trying to find a similar rubber to compare to.

With regards to the mounts again, I did kinda just drew a design on paper - built it - made a few adjustments along the way and it worked great - I would have probably painted the inside of the drum and mount black but I was eager to try them and couldnt be arsed afterwards - but this kit as it stands is a mk1 - mk2 will be better

Comment

im using clamps for scaffoldings and 1.25" GI pipes

total cost is equivalent to $20 including the fee for the T-leg and V horizontal bar welding. i'll be expanding the wings once i get the proper measurement for 2 floor toms on the right and a laptop+mixer rack on the left

Comment

Working...
                              X