Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Triggering on Rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Triggering on Rolls

I'm looking for some guidance here....

I have both an Alesis Dm-5 and an OSP DD-502 drum module, and I've noticed that I can't play fast rolls on any pad (most notably on the snare and bass drum, obviously), because above about 90 bpm, I can't guarantee a trigger every time.

The OSP module has no real user CP, but the DM-5 is a much better brain, I mean, heck--real musicians use 'em! Even maxing out the trigger sensitivity and the velocity curve is not making any difference. My triggers are the standard piezo/pad on screen mesh configuration that everyone makes when they DIY, so I just don't know where I've gone wrong.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    John
    Disclaimer: The above was posted by a complete looney, and does not represent the opinion of the Management. Use at your own risk.

Can you provide an audio sample triggered with the DM5 to review? I'd think it'd likely be a gain/retrigger setting, though I've only owned a D4 and Trigger IO and not DM5 so it likely has more capabilities. Also, I'm a horrible drummer. But overall I had a similar experience.

The real issue is isolating what is causing the problem. It's a process of elimination. Which isn't easy if all you have is a bunch of DIY stuff and nothing factory to compare against. Is it the trigger? The module? The module settings?

My thought is to take a piezo and stick it directly to something fairly rigid outside of your actual trigger. See if you can generate fast rolls that way. If so, then it'd seem to indicate the trigger is the issue. If not, then something module based. But you need to narrow it to one of those before you can troubleshoot further.

Comment

Ah, shoot--I was hoping it would be simple. I'll just have to fuss with it, I guess! Thanks!
      Disclaimer: The above was posted by a complete looney, and does not represent the opinion of the Management. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Daddy-O

I had the same problem with my DM-5. I started with Yamaha pads then changed tp Pintech. I finally solved the problem by buying the TD6.
        :D

Comment

Originally posted by Engine Room View Post
          Daddy-O

I had the same problem with my DM-5. I started with Yamaha pads then changed tp Pintech. I finally solved the problem by buying the TD6.
          NOOOOO!!!!!!! I just bought the dang thang, and I haven't additional funds to get anything else!!! GHAAAA!!!!! (*leaps off cliff*)

Comment

Just to finish up this thread...

...by experimenting with the DM5 (the OSP DD502 has no user cp, remember) I found that getting my pads to trigger was less a function of the "velocity sensors"--trigger sensitivity, as it was balancing the xtalk and note decay settings.

After actually reading the instruction manual, rather than looking at the pictures (sheesh.), I completely elimated all trigger failure incidents and now every pad will roll as fast as I can---even up to a buzz roll on the snare!

The final bit of dialing in will be the elimination of the occasional double trigger, which seems to be confined to my snare and bass pads. Now is when the trigger sensitivity will come into play, I suspect, as there is a direct correlation between the infrequent double triggering and how hard I hit the pad.

Anyway, I'm just glad to have figuered it out! Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

My experience with the D4 and Trigger IO is XTALK, particularly high XTALK, utterly kills response on the triggers. Too high and you can even kill the ability to play that particular trigger while also playing another. It just XTALKS the other trigger right out of the picture. So definitely try to control crosstalk with gain/threshold/other parameters before employing XTALK.

Comment

Lastly, care to share an audio sample of your snare triggering? Light and hard hits, and slow and fast rolls?

Comment

tighten up the head some more.

Comment

Working...
                  X