Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling for Jman, Boingo, and other DIY gurus !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling for Jman, Boingo, and other DIY gurus !

Hi guys,
    I have a TD-20 kit, and a Sonor Designer acoustic kit. I cannot play acoustic any longer since I moved to the city, into a semi-detached. I want to transfer
    the TD-20s guts into the SONOR shells because I love the craftsmanship of the bubinga Designer kit. I want to route the output jacks to the breathers. Please give me some tips on how to do this, what to look out for, etc, your help would be much appreciated, thanks. (The SONOR toms are 8,10,12 and 14 -so two shells will have diameters that match two of the tom's in the TD-20). How do I do the transfer into the smaller 8" shell and the bigger 14" shell, also, how should I put the KD-125 into the 20" Sonor bass drum? Thanks very much!

If it was me, I would just build new triggers for the the entire acoustic kit and not even mess with the Rollie pads. That's me. On the 10's and 12's, if you really want to use the guts/baskets in your acoustics:
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...ket+conversion
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Watch the notch

If you decide to use the Roland baskets you must either notch the bearing edge of the drum or remove the tab on the underside of the basket along the bearing edge....if you remove the tab from the basket you will lose the forced alignment the tab provides...no big deal really. I use a basket on my snare and love it...I chose to remove the tab rather than notch the drum.
      chris :D

Comment

thanks guys,

this morning i was thinking: should I just sell the TD-20 pads and use RT-10 rim-triggers on the Sonor kit with the TD20 brain and the Roland cymbals?

Comment

Originally posted by sonor5000 View Post
          this morning i was thinking: should I just sell the TD-20 pads and use RT-10 rim-triggers on the Sonor kit with the TD20 brain and the Roland cymbals?
          That is kind of the why I wouldn't use parts out of the TD-20 kit. The kits and pads hold their values very well. You could trigger with RT series triggers. But if you look through this forum you will also find that it is very feasible to build your own trigger system and get great results. Check out a video or 2 of my kits.... to say that I am satisfied with my current converted drum kits is quite an understatement.

I am not pushing DIY converted drums over stock kits by any means. There is desire and need on both sides. But for those that desire the real look of acoustics and the trigger advantages of electronics..... well, that's doable. J
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

hm...

"for those that desire the real look of acoustics and the trigger advantages of electronics..... well",

I've spent the weekend gathering info on the RT10 triggers, and seeing that they work flawlessly and cost about $70 each, they seem to have been made to suit exactly just the above purpose.

So why would I now spend weeks fiddling around to TRY to self-create triggers that will never work as good as the ones allready available for $70... seems counterproductive to me. I'd rather start playing sooner.

Thanks guys again, I've made my choice.

Comment

"for those that desire the real look of acoustics and the trigger advantages of electronics..... well",

I've spent the weekend gathering info on the RT10 triggers, and seeing that they work flawlessly and cost about $70 each, they seem to have been made to suit exactly just the above purpose.

So why would I now spend weeks fiddling around to TRY to self-create triggers that will never work as good as the ones allready available for $70... seems counterproductive to me. I'd rather start playing sooner.

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help.

Actually I'm no guru at all. I kind of did what you are doing, i.e., I bought Jmans drums with pre-made/installed triggers rather than fool with them myself. However, if I were to add a shell or two, I would most likely make the triggers since they really don't take any super skills. Wait a minute. I did saw half way through my left thumb with a hack saw. So much for skills. Suddenly I'm not so anxious to DIY. I'm more like you, a BIY (Buy It Yourself) kind of guy.

Seriously, we all have different budgets, values placed on time, skill, etc. Nothing wrong with your choice as long as they trigger well.

Good luck.
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Yeah, If I wasn't getting far better triggering than RT triggers on my own drums I would prolly go with the RT's also...

Anyway, those RT's should get you up and running/drumming soon, have fun, J

Comment

Working...
                X