Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No soldering with Telecom Splice Connectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No soldering with Telecom Splice Connectors?

Hi.

I did a few searches and I did see reference to "butt connectors," but I'm not sure if these are same. SO, if this has been done before, disregard.

I've always had a tough time dealing with the little wires off the piezo. Sure, they can be replaced with larger wire, but that's a pain in the butt, especially if you're at a gig, etc., and something goes wrong. I then though of my phone installation stuff and I thought I'd use the IDC Telecom connectors for this purpose. These connectors are available in both butt and splice configurations. You don't strip the wire, since when the connectors are crimped, they pierce through the insulation, just like RJ-45 connectors.

So far they've been very reliable and quite easy to do. If you're playing out and have a problem, no need for a soldering iron - just a few connectors and a needle nose pliers.

See http://www.idealindustries.com/produ...connectors.jsp for more info.

Where to buy? They have them at Home Depot.

Originally posted by kpfeif View Post
    Hi.

I did a few searches and I did see reference to "butt connectors," but I'm not sure if these are same. SO, if this has been done before, disregard.

I've always had a tough time dealing with the little wires off the piezo. Sure, they can be replaced with larger wire, but that's a pain in the butt, especially if you're at a gig, etc., and something goes wrong. I then though of my phone installation stuff and I thought I'd use the IDC Telecom connectors for this purpose. These connectors are available in both butt and splice configurations. You don't strip the wire, since when the connectors are crimped, they pierce through the insulation, just like RJ-45 connectors.

So far they've been very reliable and quite easy to do. If you're playing out and have a problem, no need for a soldering iron - just a few connectors and a needle nose pliers.

See http://www.idealindustries.com/produ...connectors.jsp for more info.

Where to buy? They have them at Home Depot.
    Good idea. I have used these before as well. I used them in a Yamaha DD-55 conversion. Information on the conversion can be found at my website. I like your idea of keeping some with you in case of a problem at a gig. I never thought of this. Way to think outside the box.
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

small gauge wire?

Do these connectors work with the fine (24g?) wire that is pre-soldered onto most of the piezos this forum recommends? Thanks. V

Comment

Originally posted by Vader View Post
        Do these connectors work with the fine (24g?) wire that is pre-soldered onto most of the piezos this forum recommends? Thanks. V
        Yes. If you read the description at All Electronics it states they can be used for 19- 26 AWG wire. You should be good to go at 24 AWG.
        alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Sorry - out of town for a bit.

As said before, yes, they do work with the fine wire on the piezos. They've worked on Cat5e wire for me, which may be the same gauge.

Comment

Working...
          X