Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Alive-BWA-HA-HAAA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Alive-BWA-HA-HAAA!!!

Just finished tonight! And I can take it camping with me tomorrow!

I will have pics up next week when I get back from the lake, but I've managed to put together a jam/practice/camping kit, which has a footprint smaller than my cocktail kit--somewhere around 2 sq/ft.

I won't go in to great detail now, 'cause it's worthless without the pictures. However, just FYI, it's based on a be-bop kit, with a kick, snare, hi-tom and low-tom, along with a static hi-hat, crash and ride--all mounted on a Pearl snare stand! The whole thing runs in to an OSP DD-502 drum module, which I would NEVER gig with (mine will just flip on a backing track and run the tempo at 232 bpm whenever it wants to-- not kidding here--REALLY unreliable; only good for practice! My Alesis will be here by the time I come home from the lake, thank Goodness!).

The whole thing breaks down into a small carry bag with nothing more than a screwdriver, and I can be set up and playing before the guitar and bass players get themselves together (speaking from experience as an AWFUL guitar player).

The real reason I put this one together is that I am going to re-finish my acoustic kit. Now, it's no great shakes--a student model at best--but it IS maple, and I CAN make it look great. In doing so, I will go from an "A" kit to an "E" kit, and I promise to post pics of THAT little undertaking...

...and another thing: this is my first post on the forum. I've been lurking here awhile, and so I feel comfortable as I talk to y'all, even though none of you have any idea who I am!

Let me say that I'm pleased to register and be a part of this community, and that the information I've gathered here has been both a help and inspiration for me as I continue my quest as an "adult onset drummer."
    Disclaimer: The above was posted by a complete looney, and does not represent the opinion of the Management. Use at your own risk.

*Sorry, double post**

Comment

Welcome aboard Daddy-O! Man I couldn't agree with you more on this:

Originally posted by Daddy-O View Post
      ...'cause it's worthless without the pictures

We LOVE pics around here!

Comment

Daddy-0,

Glad you came out of the shadows. Enjoy your trip and post those pics!

Comment

Sounds very cool. Pics!

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

Pics!!!!!!!!
            Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

Well, as promised, here are some photos of the creature, in it's natural environment:
              Attached Files
              Disclaimer: The above was posted by a complete looney, and does not represent the opinion of the Management. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Very cool Daddy-O!!!
                Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

The Creature Lives! Very cool. Tell us about those cymbals!
                  sigpic

Comment

Ah, the cymbals.

Well, everyone has junk CDs hanging about the house, so a handful of those serve as the striking surface. The "body" of each cymbal is made of an egg boiler tray, which are not commonly available on the market. My wife ordered a part for her egg sandwich maker, and they sent her five of the wrong part. Being a pack-rat sort of person, I snached those up and ran off to the garage with them, giggling like a loon.

The Piezos are glued to the bottom of the CDs, and the CDs are glued to the bottom of the egg tray. I used RCA jacks for the entire project, and so mounted the jacks through the body of the tray.

Each tray, by its design, has a flange sticking out from the side, which I used to mount them to the bottom of the Remo pads, right through the rubber base of the pads. The idea here was to provide insulation between the pad and the cymbal in order to cut down on crosstalk. It worked--the crosstalk is not bad, considering the whole thing is built on one stand--but I would like to be able to eliminate the crosstalk, if possible. Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to further insulate each striking surface from the other?
                    Last edited by Daddy-O; 08-04-08, 01:35 PM. Reason: Awful grammar...

Comment

That is really cool Daddy-O. A belated feline welcome aboard too =^.^=

I noticed the CD's even have data burned onto them

Comment

Hey Daddy-O,

Very nice "cocktail" kit. My first DIY project was a single-stand job too. I sold off the pieces and built a full A-to-E. However, my GAS has gotten the best of me and I am starting to long for another e-Cocktail kit. I'd be curious to here and/or see pics of how you mounted the Remo pads to the snare stand.

Thanks,
                        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                          I noticed the CD's even have data burned onto them
                          haha we men just go.. wow nice to have cd's as hihats.... but a woman looks further
                          TD9-KX newbie :)

Comment

Originally posted by petevdrum View Post
                            haha we men just go.. wow nice to have cd's as hihats.... but a woman looks further

I'm female and feline... and you know what they say about cats and curiosity =^.^=

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post

I'm female and feline... and you know what they say about cats and curiosity =^.^=
                              Yep i do...... meow!!!
                              TD9-KX newbie :)

Comment

Working...
                              X