Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

roland rmp-5, hihat and kick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roland rmp-5, hihat and kick

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a good practice set (only for my hands but feet.. grooving, timing, tempo, etc) that can also be "played" with and outputs drum component sounds.

It looks like the RMP-5 is closest to what I need since it has the training software and sound built into it and you can attach a kick pad and a cymbal (thereby getting the basic groove setup of hihat, snare and kick.

However, I would like to at least be able to create the basic open / close hihat sounds using a hihat foot pedal.

From the rabb videos in youtube, a cy8 and a kd8 was placed in the trigger input of the rmp5. Is there something we can connect to the line from cy-8 going to the rmp5 trigger inputs to signify that it is going to play a closed or an open hihat sound?

From the videos and stuff from the internet, it looks like the RMP5 is splitting the trigger input into the cymbal and kick. Is there a way to have a hihat foot controller controlling the open/closed hihat of the cymbal? Is there a circuit that can do this?

As a corollary, would there be some sort of a PC/Mac/Unix software that can maybe accept inputs from an external trigger via midi or some proprietary format that resembles the rhythm coach and other functions available in the rmp5?

Apologies if this shouldn't be in this forum. Please tell me where to direct if not. I also tried to do a search and didn't find something related to this. If there is an existing thread, please point me there.

Thanks!

You are not going to get the RMP-5 to do what you want. It has no way to add a foot contoller. It just wasn't designed for it.
    sigpic

Comment

rmp-5 fun

I just hooked up a cy-5 and two chained kd-7's into a hosa-ypp-117 splitter cable, and the system works great. I have not found a way to get user-controlled open hi=hat because there are no triggers left on the unit. Fun for what it is though. V

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Hopefully there's a product out there or at least the next version of rmp5 will be able to do this.

Am also actually thinking of replacing the rmp5 pad with a real-like snare with mesh heads and piezo (saw another thread where Ed [ekeefe] hooked up the rmp5 ckt to a td20 -- http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26332 )

I was also asking for a software equivalent of the rhythm coach since we can also prolly make a ckt with different triggers and feed those signals to the computer and let the software do the "coaching".

Comment

The TD-9 has the Scope function which is a training device.
          I don't know of any software that does coaching. But there might be some out there. My son has a PC based game that lets you hook up a MIDI drum kit and play like Rock Band. It's pretty basic though.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
            The TD-9 has the Scope function which is a training device.
            I don't know of any software that does coaching. But there might be some out there. My son has a PC based game that lets you hook up a MIDI drum kit and play like Rock Band. It's pretty basic though.

Yep, the TD9 is actually another option. I would love to have gotten one but it costs a lot and I'm not really looking for a full kit -- just the basic hihat, snare and kick. I would like to really improve on my timing and grooving on the basic pieces (without having to use the acoustic counterparts -- noise concerns around the house).

I've seen those games too .. those are fun but really not what I was looking for. :-)

Hopefully someone comes up with a rhythm coaching software :-)

Thanks!

Comment

I have been searching all over for a MIDI drum training software. No dice.

I have ordered myself a Beatnik RA1200p which should satisfy me for a while.

I am gonna try and convince my brother into developing training software (he is doing a degree in computer game development)

Thought of trying to create one myself in java but I dont have the time required to learn and code the software.

Surely there is a decent market for such a piece of software. It could be adapted for any midi instrument.
              Roland TD-20 (Expanded TDW20) stock standard kit setup + KD7, HPD 15, Alesis Trigger I/O, X2 Mandala pads, DrumKat 3.7, MacBook Pro 2011 i7, 8GB Ram, x2 SSD. RME Babyface

Battery 3, Sonic Coutures Hang drum, ToneHammer Tabla Vol 2 "Multi", BFD2 - Sleishman expansion pack.

Ableton Live

Student of Thomas Lang's drum academy at http://www.artistworksdrumacademy.com/

My band [urlwww.onshiftingsands.com/[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by damien View Post
                I have been searching all over for a MIDI drum training software. No dice.
                Roland DT-HD1 no good? (It works with all modules.)

Bruce

Comment

I want tutor software that has more advanced functions such as calculating the accuracy of hits much like Beatniks rhythm analyzer. Software that also incorporates sticking/foot patterns and measures left/right strike balance.

Graduated exercises and recommended exercises based on performance in particlur exercises. Exercises to train control in dynamic and timing.

Also the ability to import any midi drum tracks and audio files for play along, with performance measured.

I could go on and on.

Something which can be treated more than a game and more as a valuable learning tool.
                  Roland TD-20 (Expanded TDW20) stock standard kit setup + KD7, HPD 15, Alesis Trigger I/O, X2 Mandala pads, DrumKat 3.7, MacBook Pro 2011 i7, 8GB Ram, x2 SSD. RME Babyface

Battery 3, Sonic Coutures Hang drum, ToneHammer Tabla Vol 2 "Multi", BFD2 - Sleishman expansion pack.

Ableton Live

Student of Thomas Lang's drum academy at http://www.artistworksdrumacademy.com/

My band [urlwww.onshiftingsands.com/[/url]

Comment

That lot should keep your brother busy for a while. DT-HD1 does about half of that, but I bet it took a whole development team a couple of years. Perhaps you could sell a few copies though.

Bruce

Comment

I would love also that the RMP5 had a second input for a hi-hat pedal. I read some of the built-in sounds are already hihats... so what are they for? What if I pluged a hat controller plus the bass drum on that split input, could I at least get the chick closed sound when pressing a hat controller?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Hervy View Post
                        I would love also that the RMP5 had a second input for a hi-hat pedal. I read some of the built-in sounds are already hihats... so what are they for?
                        A couple of the RMP-5's six hi-hat sounds (HH3 and EH3) should sound closed with softer hits and open with harder hits.

Originally posted by Dirty Hervy View Post
                        What if I pluged a hat controller plus the bass drum on that split input, could I at least get the chick closed sound when pressing a hat controller?
                        No. It would need to be a piezo trigger pedal, not a switch or resistance hi-hat pedal. And even then; it doesn't have a specific chick sound, so you could only use a closed hi-hat sound with your foot.

Bruce

Comment

Get a TD-4.
                          Half the price of a TD-9.
                          Covers all your input needs.
                          Has speed drills (increasing and decreasing over time), a metronome and timing accuracy checker (basic, but functional).
                          Hours of rudiments with that will get you going.
                          Then explore the software options once you've beaten the TD-4.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazed View Post
                            Get a TD-4.
                            Half the price of a TD-9.
                            Covers all your input needs.
                            A TD-4 wasn't available two years ago when he was condsidering a TD-9 though.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                              No. It would need to be a piezo trigger pedal, not a switch or resistance hi-hat pedal. And even then; it doesn't have a specific chick sound, so you could only use a closed hi-hat sound with your foot.
                              Bruce
                              Sounds like another kick trigger would get that done. Maybe an old inverted style (kd-7 I think?) would work.
                              They constantly embrace music only to stifle it. They dissect it, unaware of their preliminary murder of it, and without understanding that the work they have pulled to pieces lacks only one thing, but the most important: life.

Comment

Working...
                              X