Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First pics of my first DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First pics of my first DIY

Well, guys... here are the first pics of my kit. As you can see it's still a little way from completion. I'm an acoustic guy, but have been forced to e-drums for practice in my apartment. They're a lot of fun. I'm running them through my d4 for the time being.

http://picasaweb.google.com/MRaverty/EDrums

I made the crossbars out of metal. I was thinking that it would be a little flimsy when I first put it together, but it's actually REALLY sturdy! With only one bolt to adjust, it's very easy to make changes to the cone height, too.

I still haven't found a good rubber for my cymbals yet, either. I put the 1/4" jacks through the cymbals (facing downwards), because I was having trouble attaching the jack to the bottom securely. I still need to find something to hide the jack on the top (some kind of plastic project box, or something).

When all is said and done, I'll have a 13" snare and two 12" toms. I still have to:
    - Paint the insides of the shells white
    - Re-wrap the shells (I'm looking at a abalone pearl oyster something wrap)
    - Finish the cymbals (rubber on top and foam tubing on the edges)
    - Install all jacks (the Parts Express guitar jacks are in the mail)
    - Make my hi-hat controller.

It's been a lot of fun so far. Thanks so much to everybody on this forum! I'll post more pics as I get more done.

-Mike

looking good Mraverty. keep up the good work. hope to see a completed kit soon. What module are you planning on using?

Dave
    Remo practice pad mesh conversion, Pearl Export A2E mesh, Pintech and TKO A2E cymbals, Roland TD-8, 1.5 eDrum trigger to midi converters (edrum.info), Alesis DM5's, Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal. 6 200watt EV SH1502 speakers, 200watt Crate Bass amp, ASUS P5Q Mobo, 8Gb ram, q6600 Core2 Quad, 3 TB's of hard drives, ATI 3870 video, dual 22" monitor's. This stuff is FUN!

one of my kits http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=zdavesf

Comment

Nice work.

Re-wrap the shells (I'm looking at a abalone pearl oyster something wrap)
      I just rewrapped my A-to-E conversion and I am in the process of putting the hardware back on and re-assembling the innards. I chose the "Dark Abalone Pearl" from JamminSam's and it looks fantastic. I'll be posting some updated pictures in a few days once it is complete so you can see what the finish looks like on drums.

Dan

Comment

I've got the pintech cymbals too. What's with the "pringle effect"? Do they all curl up that way?

Comment

Yikes! Get a carpet so don't scratch up that hardwood floor!
          www.ShadowDemon.us

Comment

Nice job, you going to cobver up the bottom of the snare? Looks clean. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Demon Drummer View Post
              Yikes! Get a carpet so don't scratch up that hardwood floor!
              He's got a point, your landlord may not hesitate to keep your deposit if that floor gets scratched up.

Glad it is fun so far. I too, would like to see your kit when it is complete.
              sigpic

Comment

Egads those Pintech practice cymbals really warp. That's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapthrill View Post
                  He's got a point, your landlord may not hesitate to keep your deposit if that floor gets scratched up.
                  Oh, man... let's not even get into my landlord. She's a terrible, terrible person, and based on the testimonials of a few other people in my building, she's going to keep my security deposit no matter what I do (I've actually put MY OWN money into this place). Luckily, I'm dating/live with a lawyer

I do have a rubber mat on the bottom of my kick pedal, and the studs are all up on the hi hat stand, though.

As for those Pintechs - yeah, it came warped like that. I was pretty disappointed. I've read about a lot of other people having the same problems... I don't understand how it ever made it past quality control. Then again, I've never tried to contact them about it, so I can't complain too much. I'll probably get a replacement for the crash, or try something else.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Comment

Working...
                  X