Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Octabans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octabans?

Ok, so I have been thinking about adding some creativity to my DIY project. Charly has a killer china and Professor Render has gone S.E.T.I. on us.

So I think I have got it. DIY Octabans / Tube Toms. I will call them the "V-Tube". Has this been done before. I will be using some PVC tubes usually found in pluming stores, I believe they are the correct 6" diameter. Not sure about the availability of mesh heads in that size. If not I am sure a DIY rubber mount similar to a PD8 would work.

JMan did a really cool set of 'Lectrobans'. You can see them in THIS thread.
    I constructed some DIY mesh heads for my roto's which included a 6", 8" and 10" head. Details of those are HERE.

Comment

Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
      Ok, so I have been thinking about adding some creativity to my DIY project. Charly has a killer china and Professor Render has gone S.E.T.I. on us.

So I think I have got it. DIY Octabans / Tube Toms. I will call them the "V-Tube". Has this been done before. I will be using some PVC tubes usually found in pluming stores, I believe they are the correct 6" diameter. Not sure about the availability of mesh heads in that size. If not I am sure a DIY rubber mount similar to a PD8 would work.
      I don't want to be the one to say it can't be done, but if you plan on using standard PVC from a hardware store, it isn't going to work. To make a 6" drum, the outside diameter can not be larger than 5-7/8" dia. 5-3/4" would be ideal. 6" PVC has an outside diameter of 6-5/8" (IIRC, that's schedule 40 pipe), so 6" PVC isn't going to work. The drum head would never fit. If you can find 5" PVC, that would work, but I'm not 100% sure that 5" dia. PVC is made. If it is, its very hard to find. Heck for all I know, I just don't know where to look for 5" PVC. What is the outside diameter of the PVC tubes you are using?
      alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Thanks to all. SP I will check out the roto head. Hellfire, I have a link from a guy who did the PVC conversion (I think it was on Wikipedia! search for tube toms). I will do some research and let you know.

ahh here it is ....

http://www.arrickrobotics.com/tubetoms.html

Those look awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
          Thanks to all. SP I will check out the roto head. Hellfire, I have a link from a guy who did the PVC conversion (I think it was on Wikipedia! search for tube toms). I will do some research and let you know.

ahh here it is ....

http://www.arrickrobotics.com/tubetoms.html

Those look awesome.
          Yes they look good. He used 6 inch OD (outside diameter) 1/8 inch wall acrylic tubing. Not PVC. Big difference! I noticed some others on that site as well used 5" PVC. Like I said before. If you can find it, that would work.
          Last edited by Hellfire; 07-17-08, 02:34 PM. Reason: added more
          alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Thanks for the clarafication. I will keep you all posted!

Comment

Working...
            X