Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your thoughts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your thoughts..

Ok guys and girls. I need your input. I have two choices staring me in the face. Choice 1, convert my Gretsch Catalina maple kit to electronic, or choice 2, make my own shells and buy a used roland rack to mount it on? Whats everyones choice? Thanks for the HELP!

Hmmm.... I'd be tempted to keep your Gretsch kit as an A kit if you plan to play A's and go with the second option of DIY shells and Roland rack.

On the other hand, if you don't need to play A's any more, you could do a non destructive DIY on your Gretsch. That would make one very cool looking E kit

Comment

Jman did a Catalina conversion that was way cool. That would be my vote.
      sigpic

Comment

I think you are going to get a 50/50 split amoungst the user here. I guess the best thing for you to do is consider the following:
        1) Do you like plaiyng your A's?
        2) Are you trying to save money by doing a A2E conversion or do you just want your E-kit to look acoustic?

i would suggest price it out and see what the shell's/lugs/mounting will cost you and then go from there. You can always buy a second cheap acoustic kit to do the mods to and then you still get to keep your maple kit up and running (if you have room)

as for DIY shells there are several approaches , if you can find pvc pipe with the outside diameter of 10" 12" etc... then you can always cheak out www.drummaker.com or www.musiciansfried.com for parts and hardware. making your own shells usually costs more but then you can totaly customize it to your liking.

hope that helps.

BTW i would/and strip down a older crappy acoustic kit (actually i bought 3 10" toms from musicians friend for $50 a piece, cut them in half, buy a gibraltor/roland rack, build or buy mesh heads, make your own cones/cross bar. buy piezos from digikey.com. put it all together and then combine your acoustic kit with your new electronic kit then you have a hybred drum set that rocks and you can be just like Neil Peart, well almost

Dave
        Remo practice pad mesh conversion, Pearl Export A2E mesh, Pintech and TKO A2E cymbals, Roland TD-8, 1.5 eDrum trigger to midi converters (edrum.info), Alesis DM5's, Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal. 6 200watt EV SH1502 speakers, 200watt Crate Bass amp, ASUS P5Q Mobo, 8Gb ram, q6600 Core2 Quad, 3 TB's of hard drives, ATI 3870 video, dual 22" monitor's. This stuff is FUN!

one of my kits http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=zdavesf

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
          Jman did a Catalina conversion that was way cool. That would be my vote.
          I did not know that.

I might be inclined to vote that way also. Although for the life of me I don't know why.
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I'd keep the nice A and get something cheap for a conversion.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

I vote for the Catalina conversion. They are a great value - I got my 5 piece set for $400 (used). At that price, I didn't mind drilling the 12" tom for floor tom legs or cutting 6" from the depth of the bass:

And if you ever want to go back to using them as A's, you can easily remove the crossbars and put the plastic heads back on.

Mike
              TD-20K with TDW-20, SPD-S
              Custom AtoE DIY with Expanded TD-10 / TD-8
              Handsonic HPD-10
              Gretsch Catalina Maple A-drums / A. Zildjian cymbals

Comment

Cut them in half for twice the drums...that's what I say
                chris :D

Comment

mike529, nice kit. What did you use for the bass drum pad?

Comment

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

My thought would be why not use bouingo's aproach because you can also can put the mylar heads back on and mix triggered and miced sounds at will. IMHO it seems more logical all around you would save money and be able to get a better module and maybe a sample library and get studio quality sound all the time.
                      Pearl Export D.I.Y. in progress, gibraltar direct-drive double pedals Sabian B8 splashes and ride, B8 pro crashes and china splash, Zildjian zil-bell, Wuhan chinas :p

Comment

Originally posted by bogiesbad View Post
                        Cut them in half for twice the drums...that's what I say
                        Can we somehow Photoshop that phrase under the V-Drums.com logo and make it our slogan? I myself am thinking of coming across to "the other side" very soon.. After all I now have an awful lot of unused acoustic drums in storage
                        "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
                        Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Comment

Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
                          mike529, nice kit. What did you use for the bass drum pad?
                          Thanks. I used a 4" electrical box and a 4" rubber pipe cap. The piezo is glued to a thin steel plate inside the pipe cap and the hose clamp holds it tight to the electrical box. It feels a lot like a KD-8. Here are some photos:
                          Attached Files
                          TD-20K with TDW-20, SPD-S
                          Custom AtoE DIY with Expanded TD-10 / TD-8
                          Handsonic HPD-10
                          Gretsch Catalina Maple A-drums / A. Zildjian cymbals

Comment

Nice design.

Comment

Originally posted by mike529 View Post
                              Thanks. I used a 4" electrical box and a 4" rubber pipe cap. The piezo is glued to a thin steel plate inside the pipe cap and the hose clamp holds it tight to the electrical box. It feels a lot like a KD-8. Here are some photos:
                              LoL Mike, you didn't even shuck the piezo... it triggers ok that way?

While I'm a fan of Bogie's approach to 'double the pleasure double the fun', I personally don't think I'd cut the toms on a complete matched set. But I sure wouldn't hesitate to trigger that puppy...
                              Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Working...
                              X