Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New User New Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User New Kit

Hello everybody!

Been lurking here for the past few months and took the plunge and put together my kit. Everyone's input on these forums have been invaluable in getting this done and i thank you all wholeheartedly.
    Here are as many details as i can recall in completing this.
    First off i previously had a Lloyd Audio kit which if nobody has heard of it uses the same pads as the Alesis Pro Kit and the brain is exactly like the old Pintech one (not sure of the model number) I wanted a standard 5 piece kit 14" snare 12,13, and 16" floor tom and a larger bass drum.
    Craigslist came to the rescue and i purchased 2 toms from one source for $20 and an old wood snare with stand and a floor tom for another $20. I removed the covering and sawed these in half at just about the halfway point with a handsaw (cause i'm really high tech like that) I wasn't terribly concerned about complete accuracy because i was going to be using the rim on the bottom.
    I recovered the shells in brushed stainless vinyl shelf liner.
    My trigger mounts were shelving track from Lowes the white kind and l brackets to mount them. I cut these down and painted them black. For my center mounts i used pieces of tin flashing cut to the shape of a CD and i sandwiched plumbing rubber inbetween with superglue. I then spraypainted these black. Digikey supplied the piezo's in 35mm and 2 inch varieties and UFO supplied the cones. I soldered thicker 20 guage speaker wire to all piezos and used long barrel stereo plugs for each.
    My wife helped me with the mesh heads which were the standard 2 layer fiberglass sewed with leather thread. Finally i picked up clear vinyl tubing 3/16 5/16 type at home depot and secured them to the rim. After a little tweaking on my TD6v they trigger beautifully.
    I used a 2 inch piezo on the rim of each and until i get TRS cables i don't know how the rims of my tom work but that should be coming this week. I am using a 2 inch on my snare head currently and a 35mm for the rim and love the sensitivity.
    Finally for the bass drum i used the other half of my 13 inch tom and built a new mount for my left over Lloyd kick stand by chopping a hole into it and building a new support bar for the legs. I ended up taking apart one of the old pads and reusing the trigger mount and foam and just added a new piezo.
    Sorry this is so long winded,.......cymbals come next!
    Attached Files

Well done Phil! Nice job!

That brushed aluminum wrap looks killer!
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Thanks! I think it was like 5 bucks a roll at Lowes which did the whole kit

Comment

Originally posted by ProvidencePhil View Post
        Thanks! I think it was like 5 bucks a roll at Lowes which did the whole kit
        You can't beat that!
        Looks good ProvidencePhil. Another fine job by another DIY'er!
        alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

right on dude, looks great. one thing i noticed and happened to me as well as others is that with a felt beater it will tear through your mesh bass head in no time. I would suggest getting either a plastic/wooden beater or put a bass drum patch over the spot where the beater hits. Again congratulation's on the nice build, hope it plays as good as it sounds

Dave
          Remo practice pad mesh conversion, Pearl Export A2E mesh, Pintech and TKO A2E cymbals, Roland TD-8, 1.5 eDrum trigger to midi converters (edrum.info), Alesis DM5's, Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal. 6 200watt EV SH1502 speakers, 200watt Crate Bass amp, ASUS P5Q Mobo, 8Gb ram, q6600 Core2 Quad, 3 TB's of hard drives, ATI 3870 video, dual 22" monitor's. This stuff is FUN!

one of my kits http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=zdavesf

Comment

Looks good Phil. The toms will only work for head.... not rim with a TD-6V and the mesh head Piezo/Piezo design.... only Piezo/Switch type pads work for rim shots on that module, except the snare input of course which will work fine for Piezo Piezo mesh drums.
            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
              Looks good Phil. The toms will only work for head.... not rim with a TD-6V and the mesh head Piezo/Piezo design.... only Piezo/Switch type pads work for rim shots on that module, except the snare input of course which will work fine for Piezo Piezo mesh drums.
              I had a feeling i would be making some switches for those. Looks like i've got some more soldering to do!

Comment

Originally posted by zdavesf View Post
                right on dude, looks great. one thing i noticed and happened to me as well as others is that with a felt beater it will tear through your mesh bass head in no time. I would suggest getting either a plastic/wooden beater or put a bass drum patch over the spot where the beater hits. Again congratulation's on the nice build, hope it plays as good as it sounds

Dave
                I have actually noticed that the mesh seems to be shredding the felt beater. The beater is reversible so i can switch to the plastic. I tried going the Falam patch route with the felt but didn't like the slap from it. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
                X