Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sensitivity issues on New Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensitivity issues on New Build

New build:
    Problem:
    Known issues:
    I am using a cylinder, not a cone or castle, but I would not think that the shape of the foam would have such a dramatic impact on dynamic response. I plan on re-cutting cones and retrying. There is also a shell mounted rim piezo hooked up, but I am uninterested in it until I get the head piezo reacting correctly.

Question:
    Any thoughts on how to increase mid velocity impacts or decrease peak velocity impacts? It would seem to me that by having foam on both sides of the piezo all but only the hardest hits are being dampened. I recall looking on the inside of an old Simmons pad and seeing that the piezo was only supported on one side similar to how people are running the shell piezos for rim detection.

Side Question:

wisker

With a cylinder like that 1/4" above the bearing edge is very high for the foam. What kind of foam did you get, soft, or very soft? Lower the crossbar for 1/16" to 1/8" foam height and check the difference.

And you will prolly want to get a better mesh head, Pearl mesh is not a very good choice for good triggering or longevity.
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

McMaster 86375K144 - Very Soft...

Suprisingly difficult to cut clean, hence the cylinder. I know that there are some cone cutter ideas around here I'm going to check out. I used a piece of tube with a sharpened edge in a press to cut the plugs.

A lot of people have been rough about the Pearl heads, but frankly mine have lasted pretty long and I play pretty hard. They do stretch though. The rim on my 10" tom is almost non-existent. I've only used one other type which is without any marking. I believe it to be a Magnum. 10" black with a thicker strand and a more open mesh.

If there's a possible triggering improvement I'll try anything.

Thanks,
      wisker

Comment

Originally posted by wisker View Post
        Suprisingly difficult to cut clean, hence the cylinder. I know that there are some cone cutter ideas around here I'm going to check out. I used a piece of tube with a sharpened edge in a press to cut the plugs.

Thanks,
        wisker
        An electric carving/fillet knife works a treat.
        chris :D

Comment

Working...
        X