Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no piezos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no piezos?

having a hard time finding them online and in stock. Any recommendations? thx

try www.newark.com

Comment

eBay seller "fulleclipse"..do a search..

Cheers

Comment

Digikey has stock on 35MM piezos with leads(CUI brand) and also 27MM piezos with no leads (Projects Unlimited brand).
        http://catalog.digikey.com/scripts/d...me=102-1128-ND
        http://catalog.digikey.com/scripts/d...me=668-1013-ND
        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks. I guess you just add your own leads right? What do you recommend? Does the 35MM provide more sensitivity? I am guessing the 27MM would be a better fit for the 8" and 10" shells.

What about a 16" floor tom? Not sure if they sell mesh heads for that.

Comment

You won't get anything larger than a 14" mesh head from Roland, (if you can even still get those)......other companies make 16" and larger mesh heads.
            Soldering leads on piezos requires good soldering skills, and a half-decent iron.
            Personally, I found that the 27mm piezos were the perfect all-around match to the TD's inputs.....I tried several larger sizes, as well as double-sided piezos, but found that they were, in some cases, too sensitive, and harder to fine down the configuration in the module.

Myke C.

Comment

I found some lead cable (for the lead-less piezos) Is this the right stuff?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...=C2117R-100-ND

I also found black.

Comment

IMO, you're making this WAY more difficult than it needs to be. I have bought the bare piezos from Digikey and used good 'ol 22 gauge speaker wire(a 100' spool for $9.99 from Radio Shack) on all of my DIY's with great results. I figured this out when I opened up a Pintech Concertcast 10" mesh tom - that's all they use. I had tried using the individual wire leads and twisting them together, enclosing them in heatshrink, etc. - IMO it's just not worth it when such a simple alternative is available. Given the application we are using it for and the relatively short lead lengths required (12-14" at the most), I really don't think the type of wire makes that big a difference (kind of like the great angst I've seen in threads here about piezo specs).

As for the 27mm vs. 35 mm thing...I've read all the threads here about it and I've bought both from Digikey. I think I would agree with Badnomad - the 35's can be almost TOO sensitive. Another thing I've noticed is the 27's somehow seem a little more stout and robust than the 35's, probably because of their smaller diameter. When I've changed my design or made as "boo-boo," I have been able to remove the 27's from the double-stick foam tape (this includes rubbing off the residue and cleaning off the remaining goo with lighter fluid), in some cases multiple times, and successfully remounting them. I've had far less luck doing this with the 35's, usually cracking the ceramic.
                Roland TD-10exp, DIY 13" snare, DIY toms, DIY mesh Bass Trigger, Roland CY-15r, CY-8, CY-5, and Pintech PC cymbals

Comment

Goo-Gone is the best for cleaning them, however, I usually buy them in large quantities, at such a low price, that it's easier to just chuck them. One other useful thing I discovered is that hot-melt makes a great strain-relief, both on and off the piezo, and can easily be repositioned.
                  I did have some degree of success when tried 36mm piezos on the metal shell of my 14" snare. I put 4 of them at the cardinal points, wired in parallel. While I had to dial down the sensitivity a bit, the head/rim/xstick response was excellent....something I had never been able to achieve on an 8", 10" or 12" pad.

Myke C.

Comment

Working...
                  X