Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

frustrated with drum - piezo outcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frustrated with drum - piezo outcome

ive just finished my diy module and now im having some problems making the piezo trigger, it triggers but not very sensitive even at the highest settings. what would you guys suggest on how i mount them? im not using a mesh head or bucket or anything, its basically like rolands pads, rubber on top then cardboard then 3m mounting foam tape then the piezo turn upside down the foam tape and 1in plywood. any suggestions on how i can improve this thing? thank you all and id really appreciate some inputs regarding this..thanks

oh and the whole diameter of the thing is 8in..

Comment

Do you have any pics of the pad? Also, what module are you using?
      Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

You need to ditch the cardboard and use metal. The way you have it right now the piezo cant flex, plus the cardboard is going to absorb vibrations. The plywood layer is also going to make it stiff as a....... well a board.

For a really good reflection plate design that works great check out this link.

http://www.electronicdrums.com/pads/pads2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by sarge201 View Post
          You need to ditch the cardboard and use metal. The way you have it right now the piezo cant flex, plus the cardboard is going to absorb vibrations. The plywood layer is also going to make it stiff as a....... well a board.
          That's exactly what I was gonna say. I took apart a pd-7 and what Roland used was a metal plate with rubber over that and the piezo underneath the metal plate with 1/8th" 2 face tape or that 3m tape center on the plate.
          I took part of that pad to make my trigger for my 22" bass drum.
          Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

I agree with the last two answers. I just completed an A to E using reflection plate triggers like in the link that Sarge posted and the drums all trigger very nicely, Toms 10, 12, 13, 16 - snare 14 - bass 22.

Comment

Originally posted by John F View Post
              I agree with the last two answers. I just completed an A to E using reflection plate triggers like in the link that Sarge posted and the drums all trigger very nicely, Toms 10, 12, 13, 16 - snare 14 - bass 22.
              John F: How did you mount the plates? Also where did you get foam and how did you make the plates?

Comment

thank you for all your answers, i went to xans website and also picked up a few more details there, i called the house and told my maids to go buy some sheet metal already and well hope for the best when i get home. ill update when i get it all working, im thinking - starting from the bottom- plywood (since i need it to mount the thing)- medium hardness 1/8in foam( the type you place in the ceiling for heat dissipation) - mouse pad rubber - piezo - metal sheet - then hard but flexible rubber (actually its one of those cheapo table heat mat). i hope it works better than the last time =P i saw in xans website that he soldered grounds to the metal sheet he was using as well, would that make it respond better? and last problem is i couldnt get any normal piezo here in the philippines and shipping would cost about 6$ per piezo whihc is a lil bit too steep for me right now to get all 8pcs. (philippine currency) i was able to get these

i disregarded the middle part, would it act the same way? i ripped it off a piezo buzzer with a circuit board in it..thanks guy really appreciate all the inputs. seriously

Comment

i called the house and told my maids to go buy some sheet metal
                  Does that count as DIY? Maybe we need a new forum called TMMTDI: "Told My Maids To Do It"

Comment

LoL sorry bout that jsut got too excited i guess. besides in the philippines everyone has a maid. plus im at work and the shops closes by the time i get to go home =P and they just bought it for me! LoL getting defensive! anway any inputs?

Comment

No worries, we're just JEALOUS of the maids.

Comment

haha, well im pretty sure everyone knows how it is here..hard life and all. but i lived in the USA for about 10 months with my gf with no maids and well..i actually enjoyed it more =P more hands on..

sorry for the OT mods =P

Comment

Working...
                        X