Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peart's DIY kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peart's DIY kit?

Has it ever been mentioned here that Peart plays a DIY Roland Kit? Anyway I am going to start planning my DIY conversion this weekend. Sorry up front for the dumb and redundant questions I will be asking (hey that about categorizes all of my posts. )

Anyway, I think I am going for black drums with gold plating (If I can do this on the cheap) ... Or maybe candy apple red drums.

Stay tuned ....

Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
    Has it ever been mentioned here that Peart plays a DIY Roland Kit? Anyway I am going to start planning my DIY conversion this weekend. Sorry up front for the dumb and redundant questions I will be asking (hey that about categorizes all of my posts. )

Anyway, I think I am going for black drums with gold plating (If I can do this on the cheap) ... Or maybe candy apple red drums.

Stay tuned ....
    I don't think any question is dumb. I'd rather ask questions and get the job right. And there are alot of people here that can answer them.

Keep us updated.
    Vinny
    Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

My drum kit

Comment

Well, not exactly DIY. More like DIWDW. (do it with DW) DW made him custom shells for the Roland components.
      sigpic

Comment

Peart's Roland Kit

I dont think you could classify NP's Roland/DW kit as a DIY although that is where many of us got the idea from. Probably more or a collaboration and retrofit type of deal. TK
        www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

Why won't DW do that for the rest of us?!? We all play as good as him right? I think they should just give us all free stuff custom built to our specs. Anyone here with me?
          Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by PumaPhreak View Post
            Why won't DW do that for the rest of us?!? We all play as good as him right? I think they should just give us all free stuff custom built to our specs. Anyone here with me?
            I'm with you on that one. Free stuff is always cool.

I was just watching the Grace under pressuer DVD concert the other day. When they opened the show with "Spirit of the Radio" They show at least the first 10 rows of people air drumming to neil (It put a smile on neils face) I thought it was pretty funny. I guess DW or Roland might look our way if there were a DVD of that many people air drumming to us.

But it still would be nice if someone could custom built my drums for me.
            But it is rewarding to build your own drums, Especially when they work the way you hoped.
            Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

My drum kit

Comment

Yeah I wonder how that all came about. If you look at the studio shots from Snakes and Arrows he is using standard Roland PD125 pads with his "west coast kit", and then he toured with the new orange kit and similar shells for the Rolands. I guess DW worked hand in hand with Roland (or DW had a guy reading the DIY forum here!!). Which came first, this DIY or his kit? His current Rodie talks about how the CY12/14 crashes do not last very long. I wonder if he is breaking the plastic or the electronic sensors or switches.

Comment

Peart was breaking the shells, clamps and everything else too, as has been the experience of many touring players trying to tour with the retail stuff, hence putting the triggers into something more robust. I chatted with Lorne Wheaton (Neil's tech) about four years back and I think the transcript is still lurking somewhere if you want some details on that kit. Here's a pic of me on stage with Lorne (after checking out the kit):

I of course had already done a lot of electronics in shells designs and showed stuff (including full sized drums, better heads, and metal triggered cymbals I had worked up) to Lorne back then, but plenty of stuff preceeded that by many, many years (i.e. SpaceMuffins to name a great example).

Here's a better pic I shot of the kit that night:

Comment

Chris, awesome! I will do a search for that. I am guessing you did not meet the man himself... He seems a bit eslusive to say the least. What a great oppertunity. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Chris do you have any more details? Any more info will be greatly appreciated.
                    Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
                      Chris, awesome! I will do a search for that. I am guessing you did not meet the man himself... He seems a bit eslusive to say the least. What a great oppertunity. Thanks for sharing.
                      I did not speak with him that show, although I was a few feet from him several times that night. I have "met" him a couple of times before, but never much more of an exchange than, "...nice to meet you", "great show", and/or a handshake. Chatting with strangers clearly doesn't appear to be his cup of tea. Probably why he is conspicuouly absent from this picture as well taken that same night:

Originally posted by PumaPhreak View Post
                      Chris do you have any more details? Any more info will be greatly appreciated.
                      Here's a link:

http://www.edrumming.com/index.php?c...p2_articleid=3

Comment

Nice. So I am in an all day meeting yesterday, and at the end there is news of a concert this Monday at Jones Beach, and I was asked how many tickets I would like. Well I just saw a show two weeks ago (Fab Faux), I am seeing Billy Joel at Shea next week and the Police / Elvis Costello on 8/4, so I said no thanks, I am booked!

Then I find out they are for RUSH! Ok Ok I will take 4 please!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jude View Post
                          Thanks! Good read!!!

Comment

Hey chris those a awesome pix. I like the picture of the kit. How are Lee and Lifeson? They seem to be friendly. I always heard that Peart was a quiet guy.

My drum kit

Comment

Chris, great article. Do you know what he was using for a HHT? Was it the VH11/12 or the FD7/8? I have a Roland catelog from a few years back when the TD10 was the flagship, and they show some thick stationary pad for the HHT with an FD7. I am guessing that is what he used.

Also, what cymbal pads did he use? CY15 three way for all?

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X