Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Troubleshooting drum trigger mis-triggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting drum trigger mis-triggers

I've been trying to troubleshoot my current drum mis-triggers. What I get is when hitting the head and reviewing the recorded MIDI data I see one nice solid hit at the intended velocity, then, on the toms usually one extra extremely low-velocity mis-trigger immediately afterwards. On the snare it's multiples. They're nearly impossible to hear while playing. Cymbals all work flawlessly using the same physical piezos and I only noticed it affected all of my drums while reviewing the MIDI data for my 16" floor tom which is the single drum that does audibly mis-trigger.

Someone else suggested I plug the piezo directly into an analog input to view the raw waveform. It should always be a decaying sine wave. Any significant gaps in the wave will cause the module (Alesis Trigger IO in my case) to see that gap as indicating a new hit/event. I haven't pursued that much yet as I lack a decent waveform tool. Reaper is the host I use and it can record but it's tedious to zoom and view the waveform directly in Reaper, and even then doesn't provide the clearest view of the raw wave.

But I can clearly see the mis-triggers when reviewing the MIDI data. Here's an example. Mis-triggers appear to only occur during quiet/soft hits on TOM1/2, but occur all the time on TOM3 (floor tom) and the snare. I've eliminated mis-trggers on the kick with aggressive retrigger settings, but that doesn't impact playability as it's a single pedal and I'm not doing rolls on my kick.

TOM1 quiet, followed by mistriggers/ghosts

TOME LOUD, no mistriggers/ghosts

So, does someone have some particular tools to suggest to help me better analyze the piezo-output cause of the problem? I can then systematically start from the bottom (bare piezo) and work my way up (completed drum) to see at what point the problem starts.

If you want 3 pages of run-on text to read about my DIY build you can do so by reading this gem of a thread.

After reading all of your posts on this and trying to help you out in the past I can only say that if you want to have a perfect triggering drum bigger than 12" you need to use 27 or 35 mm piezo's not the 40mm that you have and I hate to say it but you need to upgrade your modules. The trigger i/o and your D4 do not have the tweakability that you need for the larger drums. I have the trigger i/o and the 40mm piezos, they are not tweaking friendly. I use the 40's on my cymbals and smaller drums only. I use 27's on 12 and up. I only use the i/o for cymbals and percussion as it is crap (IMHO) for larger diy drums.

Do you know anyone close to you that has a Roland module that you could try?

I have built several drums bigger than 12" I have a 14" floor tom and a 22" kick and with my TD3 and the 27 mm piezo's they trigger perfect, no ghosts or miss triggers and I can do perfect rolls on all my large drums even on my kick using sticks. I cant do this with the i/o, just the Rollie.

Your build is solid I just think you need a better module for your drums, sell the D4 and keep your i/o for cymbals and percussion and grab a used TD3 and I think you will be happy with your build.

Comment

Working...
    X