Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom acoustic cymbal graphics or lettering

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Custom acoustic cymbal graphics or lettering

    I have some cheap, Cheap, CHEAP Groover Percussion cymbals. They're pretty cheap. Anyway, I've converted them to electros using PVC on the bottom, Hellfire choke, and various gold-painted project boxes.

    Now I'd like to remove the "Groove Percussions" label and replace it with something more exciting. I found a thread where nail polish remover was suggested for removing the factory graphic/text. And that works.

    But what options are there for a durable, custom graphic/lettering to replace it?

    I have a friend that works for a vinyl covering company that does those fancy bus wraps and what not. But I can't imagine something like that lasting terribly long on the strike surface of a metal cymbal. Plus I'd prefer to keep the strike area bare metal if possible. I'm assuming I could get it laser etched, though that sounds costly. But I know from paintball people custom laser etch their anodized aluminum markers, so I'm assuming it would be an option for cymbals. Or maybe some sort of printed micro-ink heat-transfer as it would allow unlimited customization and be reasonably inexpensive (and probably available online), assuming it's durable.

    Anyone ever do this? I couldn't find anything mentioning this, just removal of said graphics/text.

    Then I can re-wrap the drums and erase all visual indication that a super cheap Groove Percussion acoustic kit was the foundation for my awesome electro monster.

  • #2
    Well, Sabian would have you believe that it is as easy as a felt-tip pen:
    Sabian renewal kit

    Create your own stencil and make a craft project out of it. Is that marker different from a permanent Sharpie? Hard to tell...
    However, the reviews on Musician's Friend are far from convincing.

    edit: oops, just noticed that it has been discontinued. I wonder why....
    Last edited by Colquhoun; 07-01-08, 10:32 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I wonder if you might be able to use a process similar to prepping offset printing plates. Thin aluminum plates are sensitized, then subjected to extremely bright light (carbon arc was used back in the day, masked by a high contrast film negative that is either clear or completely black). After that, the areas exposed to the light are easily etched using the proper developing chemicals. This way, they trap the ink while the rest of the surface repels it, allowing that ink to be transferred to paper. Of course, you skip this last step.

      I supposed you could use sunlight too. It would just take a lot longer...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gastric View Post
        I have some cheap, Cheap, CHEAP Groover Percussion cymbals. They're pretty cheap. Anyway, I've converted them to electros using PVC on the bottom, Hellfire choke, and various gold-painted project boxes.

        Now I'd like to remove the "Groove Percussions" label and replace it with something more exciting. I found a thread where nail polish remover was suggested for removing the factory graphic/text. And that works.

        But what options are there for a durable, custom graphic/lettering to replace it?

        I have a friend that works for a vinyl covering company that does those fancy bus wraps and what not. But I can't imagine something like that lasting terribly long on the strike surface of a metal cymbal. Plus I'd prefer to keep the strike area bare metal if possible. I'm assuming I could get it laser etched, though that sounds costly. But I know from paintball people custom laser etch their anodized aluminum markers, so I'm assuming it would be an option for cymbals. Or maybe some sort of printed micro-ink heat-transfer as it would allow unlimited customization and be reasonably inexpensive (and probably available online), assuming it's durable.

        Anyone ever do this? I couldn't find anything mentioning this, just removal of said graphics/text.

        Then I can re-wrap the drums and erase all visual indication that a super cheap Groove Percussion acoustic kit was the foundation for my awesome electro monster.
        im also interested in this hehehe.
        -------------------------



        http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44552&page=2

        -------------------------

        Comment


        • #5
          Since it can be "cleaned" off easily with nail polish remover I'm guessing the manufacturers must use some sort of ink transfer as opposed to some sort of metal or laser etching. But that's just my guess.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Gastric View Post
            Since it can be "cleaned" off easily with nail polish remover I'm guessing the manufacturers must use some sort of ink transfer as opposed to some sort of metal or laser etching. But that's just my guess.
            look this video:

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eKwq...eature=related

            at 2:17


            and this at 4:20

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyynDsMhb7g
            -------------------------



            http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44552&page=2

            -------------------------

            Comment


            • #7
              YouTube to the rescue. Gotta love the internet!

              Simple heat set ink. Just need to find what kind of ink will adhere well to my cymbal.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gastric View Post
                YouTube to the rescue. Gotta love the internet!

                Simple heat set ink. Just need to find what kind of ink will adhere well to my cymbal.
                what are you going to use ? those sabian ones? They dont sell them any more ....Am i wrong?
                -------------------------



                http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44552&page=2

                -------------------------

                Comment


                • #9
                  Or if you are adventerous, for $80...the Etch-O-Matic metal starter kit.
                  http://www.etching-metal.com/

                  Or then there's the DIT of metal etching:
                  homemade metal etching
                  Last edited by Colquhoun; 07-02-08, 03:24 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
                    Or if you are adventerous, for $80...the Etch-O-Matic metal starter kit.
                    http://www.etching-metal.com/

                    Or then there's the DIT of metal etching:
                    homemade metal etching
                    80 when im buying a cymbalset for 50...
                    -------------------------



                    http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44552&page=2

                    -------------------------

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What did you use gastric?
                      -------------------------



                      http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44552&page=2

                      -------------------------

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nothing. It was suggested by a family member to try some self adhesive model airplane/car/truck graphics, apparently they have printable ones now. However, you'd have to install them on the top side of the cymbal that isn't actively played on as I doubt they'd sustain repeated beatings.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X