Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some DIY Q's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some DIY Q's

    I do not use the rim of any pad on my kit except the snare. I usually set the rim and pad to the same sound (including cymbals except for the ride).

    It looks like there is a way to build a circuit two connect two pads to most inputs of the TD12 since they are pezio/pezio. So this is a great way for me to augment my kit.

    So here is my question. Why pezio / pezio? what do you gain with this setting? I thought Pezio/switch provides full functionality of the module.

    I have not looked in to pezio / switch , but the posting I saw today showed a DIY snare using pezio / pezio. Looks simple enough. Are there DIY pezio/switch designs out there? Pros/cons?

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Why would anyone need a switch on a drumpad? were not gonna choke it like a cymbal ... maybe a rim piezo has more dynamics for detecting rim shot vibes from a hit on the hoop, on a cymbal were hitting that choke switch smack on right on the edge.
    WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
    FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
    :eek: ...
    Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
    Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

    Comment


    • #3
      With piezo/piezo pads you get head, rim, and x-stick on the snare with the newer Roland modules... I don't think so with p/r-s pads such as the PD9. The biggest plus is any ham-fisted pool builder can make a dual piezo pad...not so easy the piezo/rim-switch.
      chris :D

      Comment


      • #4
        The biggest plus is any ham-fisted pool builder can make a dual piezo pad...not so easy the piezo/rim-switch
        Yeah, I was thinkting the pezio/pezio was easy to pull off. I am not as talented as the said ham fist but I think I could actually make this work. Thanks.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
          Yeah, I was thinkting the pezio/pezio was easy to pull off. I am not as talented as the said ham fist but I think I could actually make this work. Thanks.

          I'm sure it will be fab, i wouldn't say piezo - piezo is simple, you gotta get everything spot on, correct size piezo's, correct amount of platform separation, correct foam trigger, good tidy soldering ... when you have done it you can be proud, cos it's quite an achievement
          WEBSITE - http://www.diamondelectronicdrums.com/
          YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbVB...?feature=guide
          FACEBOOK me at ... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...83235555050736
          :eek: ...
          Showcase 1 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=253
          Showcase 2 - http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
            I do not use the rim of any pad on my kit except the snare. I usually set the rim and pad to the same sound (including cymbals except for the ride).

            Thanks.
            Hi vdrummer20,

            I'm wondering why you don't use the rim of any of your pads?

            I find the rim can add great colour to the tom sounds, either as a different tom, a rimshot or as another note (e.g. 3 semitones below) using the same sound as the head.....similarly with the cymbals where you can have a ride on the bow and crash on the edge - can you unpuzzle the puzzle for me?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by daveybabes View Post
              Why would anyone need a switch on a drumpad? were not gonna choke it like a cymbal ... maybe a rim piezo has more dynamics for detecting rim shot vibes from a hit on the hoop, on a cymbal were hitting that choke switch smack on right on the edge.
              Is the switch only used for muting or is it used also to create another sound.
              So if I put a piezo in a pad and a switch in another pad and ran them into a one input on my td 8 would they both work? Or does the piezo and switch need to be in the same pad to function properly? Instead of having the 2 cymbal sounds on one pad ,I could have 2 pads each with it's own cymbal sounds.

              Would a piezo work on a td 8 rim or does it have to be a switch?
              Sorry for so many questions.
              Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

              Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

              My drum kit

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vjboc View Post
                Is the switch only used for muting or is it used also to create another sound.
                So if I put a piezo in a pad and a switch in another pad and ran them into a one input on my td 8 would they both work? Or does the piezo and switch need to be in the same pad to function properly? Instead of having the 2 cymbal sounds on one pad ,I could have 2 pads each with it's own cymbal sounds.

                Would a piezo work on a td 8 rim or does it have to be a switch?
                Sorry for so many questions.
                The switch on Piezo/Switch pads is for the rim sound and choke. The Tom inputs and cymbal inputs on the TD-8 are Piezo/Switch inputs. Switches for those inputs work in conjunction with the head piezo. If you were to put a switch on one pad and a piezo on the other, the pad with the piezo will play fine... not the switch pad. Switch has to be on the same pad.
                The Raper cirquit could be used in some variation for what you are wanting. How accurate your response might vary.
                I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                  The Raper cirquit could be used in some variation for what you are wanting. How accurate your response might vary.
                  Jman thank you for the info.
                  Where is the info on the raper circuit. I have heard alot about it.

                  What if I took a piezo stuck it in one pad and stuck a piezo in another pad wired to the other piezo, But in the 2nd pad stick a switch in it. Would that work? Is there a way to wire a piezo and a switch in a pad to where the switch sound would only be heard?

                  All my toms are mono. I dont like different sounds to be on a rim of a tom anyways. I would rather utilize the rims of my toms for other pads if possible.
                  Roland TD-8 Mod, DIY burgandy Mapex drums 12" snare, 8" 10" and 12" rack toms, 14" rack floor tom, 22" Bass drum , 3 cy-15r cymbals, one for the ride 2 for the crashes and cy-14c for hi hat.

                  Songs i've recorded using my old TD-7

                  My drum kit

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi Hercules. Fair question. If a tune calls for it, I will place a cowbell or whatnot on the rim ... but in general, I tend to hit the rims alot when playing. I have 8" PD8 pads so the small size does not help (hence the drive for DIY snare and toms!). The standard rimshot sound or cowbell / tamb / or other sound were firing inadvertantly and it was driving me nuts!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
                      Hi Hercules. Fair question. If a tune calls for it, I will place a cowbell or whatnot on the rim ... but in general, I tend to hit the rims alot when playing. I have 8" PD8 pads so the small size does not help (hence the drive for DIY snare and toms!). The standard rimshot sound or cowbell / tamb / or other sound were firing inadvertantly and it was driving me nuts!
                      Hi vdrummer20,

                      I know what you mean - I have 4 x PD-8s for toms and a PDX-8 snare and find that when I'm trying to play a precise but simple track I'll get the odd mis-hit. I had a play on a TD-20 kit last week and it was so much easier to due to the larger sized pads. Anyway, that sounds like a good enough excuse to upgrade to me.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by vjboc View Post
                        Jman thank you for the info.
                        Where is the info on the raper circuit. I have heard alot about it.

                        What if I took a piezo stuck it in one pad and stuck a piezo in another pad wired to the other piezo, But in the 2nd pad stick a switch in it. Would that work? Is there a way to wire a piezo and a switch in a pad to where the switch sound would only be heard?

                        All my toms are mono. I dont like different sounds to be on a rim of a tom anyways. I would rather utilize the rims of my toms for other pads if possible.
                        What you want to do is very simple with the TD-9, TD-12, and TD-20 using the special DIY splitter for Piezo/Piezo inputs. With the TD-8, not so simple. The Raper Cirquit is the 1st sticky in the DIY Forum:
                        http://vdrums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48
                        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          why the 100 ohm resistor?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X